This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    As a government guy, I don't think someone penning an anonymous Op-Ed slamming the boss is a "hero". I understand the adult-in-the-room urge if someone feels that by staying in the Administration they can somehow do enough damage control to prevent Trump from destroying the country, but the Woodward book already had that largely covered. This sounds like a martyr complex. With one big caveat, I think this person either should have continued his/her internal "resistance", in the sense of doing his/her job to the best of his/her ability with concern for and loyalty to the US and our constitution...or, should resign and express his/her concerns publicly under his/her own name. The big caveat for me is if it's Mattis. If it's Mattis, please, please stay and do your very best to keep us safe, lol.
    If there was ever any danger of Trump destroying the country, you should be greatly reassured by now. He may look like a disaster in progress but the list of accomplishments is impressive.

I suppose, you might think that the tax cuts, defunding ACA, recognizing Jerusalem, lowering tension with North Korea, and restocking the federal Bench are bad things. I cannot help that but I favor all of them. Then, there is the economy. More than 50% of the country approve of his handling of the economy

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 09-06-2018, 11:42 AM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• The Trump/Russia connection has undoubtedly been sensationalized by liberal media outlets, but I don't watch TV news and I haven't touted the more dubious claims.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        If there was ever any danger of Trump destroying the country, you should be greatly reassured by now. He may look like a disaster in progress but the list of accomplishments is impressive.

J
        Really?
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

J
          but it's not the accomplishments that puts the country at risk, it's the polarization, and there can be no argument that Trump is polarizing the country.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            The Trump/Russia connection has undoubtedly been sensationalized by liberal media outlets, but I don't watch TV news and I haven't touted the more dubious claims.
            I wasn't saying you touted those dubious claims, just that a significant number of the #resistance isn't really concerned with facts or accuracy.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            ---------------------------------------------
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              but it's not the accomplishments that puts the country at risk, it's the polarization, and there can be no argument that Trump is polarizing the country.
              The polarization was there well before Trump........ I will grant that he is not bringing people together. Thats my biggest frustration. Rather he is compounding the polarization that was already here.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                The Trump/Russia connection has undoubtedly been sensationalized by liberal media outlets, but I don't watch TV news and I haven't touted the more dubious claims.
                Manufactured out of thin air. It's the Big Lie of this generation.

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                Really?
                Yes, really.

I did list a few. Are you going to argue that he wrecked the economy and started a war with Korea?

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                I can argue and I do. The polarization preceded Trump and made his election possible.

You can see it in a lot of unrelated things. For example, take the statements following John McCain's death. Many of the people praising his record are the same people the demonized him in 2008. Partisanship is SOP. So, we have a fasict group that goes by Antifa(scist). Universities seek to silence debate. Hate is bad unless directed at the President.

Trump is polarizing nothing. He is more likely a relief valve or lightning rod.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                  I don't think polarization is the issue being flagged here. It's amorality, immaturity, pettiness, impetuousness, ignorance, recklessness, and affinity for anti-democratic strongman autocracy at home and abroad (which includes rooting out and punishing critics/opponents).

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                    I don't think polarization is the issue being flagged here. It's amorality, immaturity, pettiness, impetuousness, ignorance, recklessness, and affinity for anti-democratic strongman autocracy at home and abroad (which includes rooting out and punishing critics/opponents).
                    Yep to all of this. His behavior shouldn't be polarizing, because I think all reasonable people should be embarrassed by how he comports himself, even if they like how his admin has pushed the GOP agenda.

Comment

Manufactured out of thin air. It's the Big Lie of this generation.

Yes, really.

I did list a few. Are you going to argue that he wrecked the economy and started a war with Korea?

I can argue and I do. The polarization preceded Trump and made his election possible.

You can see it in a lot of unrelated things. For example, take the statements following John McCain's death. Many of the people praising his record are the same people the demonized him in 2008. Partisanship is SOP. So, we have a fasict group that goes by Antifa(scist). Universities seek to silence debate. Hate is bad unless directed at the President.

Trump is polarizing nothing. He is more likely a relief valve or lightning rod.

J
                      This has to go in your HOF for the level of sheer nonsense.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• What has he really accomplished with North Korea? Great, they met -- and if you'll recall, just Obama thinking of that horrified conservatives -- but North Korea has reverted back to it's same old song and dance, just as all North Korean experts expected.

Inflation is skyrocketing, with many thanks to his ill-advised tariffs. And it's the price hikes from those tariffs that will wipe out any gain from the tax cuts for most of the middle class.

Awesome, he moved a building in Israel and got literally no political capital out of it -- well, except from evangelicals who can now die happy, apparently. The Jews who applauded the move don't realize they're the drunk fat chick in the bar at 4am-- or, like the drunk fat chick, don't care.

Anything he's actually done has been through EOs -- the same EOs, mind you, that he panned left and right when Obama did it.

His legacy, unfortunately, will be that he was in the right place at the right time re: SCOTUS. Giving him any "credit" for selecting conservative justices is like giving me credit for eating breakfast this morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          His legacy, unfortunately, will be that he was in the right place at the right time re: SCOTUS. Giving him any "credit" for selecting conservative justices is like giving me credit for eating breakfast this morning.
                          I didn't eat breakfast this morning, so be proud of your accomplishments!
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            What has he really accomplished with North Korea? Great, they met -- and if you'll recall, just Obama thinking of that horrified conservatives -- but North Korea has reverted back to it's same old song and dance, just as all North Korean experts expected.

Inflation is skyrocketing, with many thanks to his ill-advised tariffs. And it's the price hikes from those tariffs that will wipe out any gain from the tax cuts for most of the middle class.

Awesome, he moved a building in Israel and got literally no political capital out of it -- well, except from evangelicals who can now die happy, apparently. The Jews who applauded the move don't realize they're the drunk fat chick in the bar at 4am-- or, like the drunk fat chick, don't care.

Anything he's actually done has been through EOs -- the same EOs, mind you, that he panned left and right when Obama did it.

Inflation rate was 2.1% in 2016 under Obama and is 2.9% in 2018. Is ‘skyrocketing’ really the correct word?
                            The annual inflation rate for the United States was 3.4% for the 12 months ending April, compared to the previous rate of 3.5%, according to U.S. Labor Department data published on June 15, 2024. The next inflation update is scheduled for release on June 12 at 8:30 a.m. ET, providing information on the inflation rate

PS—it was 3.0% in Obama’s 3rd year. Was it skyrocketing then too?

Comment

• Is it paranoia if your own people really are out to get you?

The big picture: He should be paranoid. In the hours after the New York Times published the anonymous Op-Ed from "a senior official in the Trump administration" trashing the president ("I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration"), two senior administration officials reached out to Axios to say the author stole the words right out of their mouths.

•"I find the reaction to the NYT op-ed fascinating — that people seem so shocked that there is a resistance from the inside," one senior official said. "A lot of us [were] wishing we’d been the writer, I suspect ... I hope he [Trump] knows — maybe he does? — that there are dozens and dozens of us."

Why it matters: Several senior White House officials have described their roles to us as saving America and the world from this president.
                              •A good number of current White House officials have privately admitted to us they consider Trump unstable, and at times dangerously slow.
                              •But the really deep concern and contempt, from our experience, has been at the agencies — and particularly in the foreign policy arena.

I almost feel bad for the man. Maybe he should fire everybody and just hire 1jay.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                                Inflation rate was 2.1% in 2016 under Obama and is 2.9% in 2018. Is ‘skyrocketing’ really the correct word?
                                The annual inflation rate for the United States was 3.4% for the 12 months ending April, compared to the previous rate of 3.5%, according to U.S. Labor Department data published on June 15, 2024. The next inflation update is scheduled for release on June 12 at 8:30 a.m. ET, providing information on the inflation rate

PS—it was 3.0% in Obama’s 3rd year. Was it skyrocketing then too?
                                The inflation rate was 1.6% in 2016, not 2.1%.

You’re going to cherrypick a single year under Obama from 7 years ago? How about that 2011 was the only year in his administration that was higher than either of Trump’s two years?

I’m not wrong here. It’s skyrocketing and going to get far worse if his ill-advised Trade War doesn’t end.

Comment

Working...
                                X