This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    Can't argue with a word that you're saying...it's all about getting rid of Trump now and the damage that he's doing to people.

I just ask if anyone votes 3rd party, have a valid reason other than "those two mainstream candidates suck". IMO, that's partly how we got where we are today...
    I have voted 3rd party for the last 20, because I had determined way back then that the two parties actually are more concerned with their business, than the actual running of the country. So I began voting 3rd party originally as a NO CONFIDENCE Vote. As time has progressed, I have found that I align pretty well with much of the Libertarian platform. Was Gary Johnson better the Trump? - Yep, even if he couldn't find Allepo on a map. Was his VP candidate Bill Weld qualified also - absolutely and the case could be made that he may have been a better head of the ticket.

We have gotten to where we are today, because both parties frame every issue as a two sided coin. Unfortunately, as of late, one cant hold a position in the middle. Also a person is supposed to hold a position that their party doesnt hold. The tribalization started long long ago, and now we are reaping the fruits of our ignorance and laziness by essentially allowing the parties to run and own the electoral process. The main parties by being who they are get to be the only players at the table.

In order to be successful, we need multiple voices to be heard. We need people that build unity and are willing to look at all sides of the equation. Unfortunately all we have now is Heads or Tails. If your one party you will always vote Heads and the other party votes Tails. Why? Because we are too fucking lazy to consider that the only solutions to our countries problems can be determined by the leaders of the RNC and DNC. And when they need more money, man the problems become more pressing and the other teams solutions more wrong.

If these parties actually listened to their constituency there are any number of issues that would have been dealt with in a manner that both parties could live with over the last decade. Yet they dig their heels in, rather than work together.

Sorry for the diatribe.... but it irks me to hear someone say that a persons vote - no matter how they vote - is a wasted vote. It is the one time that we actually get to stand up and say - this is what I believe. It is the one time we get to say this party or person aligns with how I see we should set policy on all of the issues of the day. If we choose to settle and try to pick the winner, we have forfeited our voice and settled for something less.

That is how we got to where we are today. How else do you explain 2 of the worst ever Presidential candidates?
    Last edited by baldgriff; 08-01-2018, 12:01 AM.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
      Even Pelosi isnt that dumb.
      Riiiight!

What evidence have you seen to support that conclusion?

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        If you don't think the Dems will try to remove Trump from office if they regain power after the mid-terms, you are mistaken.
        25th Amendment and the Emoluments Clause!
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Even Pelosi isnt that dumb.
          you are if you truly believe this
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• what do people think Trump is actually worth? Not his self-assessed value of his "Brand", but actual non-leveraged assets. I'd bet it is less than $500M.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
              I have voted 3rd party for the last 20, because I had determined way back then that the two parties actually are more concerned with their business, than the actual running of the country. So I began voting 3rd party originally as a NO CONFIDENCE Vote. As time has progressed, I have found that I align pretty well with much of the Libertarian platform. Was Gary Johnson better the Trump? - Yep, even if he couldn't find Allepo on a map. Was his VP candidate Bill Weld qualified also - absolutely and the case could be made that he may have been a better head of the ticket.

We have gotten to where we are today, because both parties frame every issue as a two sided coin. Unfortunately, as of late, one cant hold a position in the middle. Also a person is supposed to hold a position that their party doesnt hold. The tribalization started long long ago, and now we are reaping the fruits of our ignorance and laziness by essentially allowing the parties to run and own the electoral process. The main parties by being who they are get to be the only players at the table.

In order to be successful, we need multiple voices to be heard. We need people that build unity and are willing to look at all sides of the equation. Unfortunately all we have now is Heads or Tails. If your one party you will always vote Heads and the other party votes Tails. Why? Because we are too fucking lazy to consider that the only solutions to our countries problems can be determined by the leaders of the RNC and DNC. And when they need more money, man the problems become more pressing and the other teams solutions more wrong.

If these parties actually listened to their constituency there are any number of issues that would have been dealt with in a manner that both parties could live with over the last decade. Yet they dig their heels in, rather than work together.

Sorry for the diatribe.... but it irks me to hear someone say that a persons vote - no matter how they vote - is a wasted vote. It is the one time that we actually get to stand up and say - this is what I believe. It is the one time we get to say this party or person aligns with how I see we should set policy on all of the issues of the day. If we choose to settle and try to pick the winner, we have forfeited our voice and settled for something less.

That is how we got to where we are today. How else do you explain 2 of the worst ever Presidential candidates?
              I'm not going to re-hash the same arguments that we've had here for several years now. I respect you position, but I have to point out that there were MANY voices out there in the 2 main parties, that's what the primary season is for. It's a winnowing process, as you know, and by the end of it, you have what each party has decided is their best chance to win the election. Not necessarily the best candidate for the office, but one that they deem most electable.

The problem with the 3rd party candidates in the 2016 election was that they were simply no good...Johnson should have stepped aside and let Weld take the lead, he was by far the better candidate, and Jill Stein seems to be not only an anti-vaxxer, but a scam artist as well. So you really had crap candidates all around. That said, Clinton was by far the most qualified for the job, 8 years of watching at the WH, A US Senator, and finally Secretary of State...but she ran a horrible campaign. Obviously my opinion. Trump is well, Trump. WaPo recently tallied up his lies and misleading statements and it's well north of 4000 at this point, less than 2 years into his term.

Long, rambling statement, but at the end, yeah, I do believe that a protest vote is a wasted vote. None of last elections 3rd party candidates were capable of running the country, IMO. Maybe in 2020 that will change, and a 3rd party candidate will make a meaningful difference.

Anyway, the beauty of the Constitution is that you can vote for whoever you wish, good, bad, or indifferent.
              Last edited by Hornsby; 08-01-2018, 08:14 AM.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                25th Amendment and the Emoluments Clause!
                Run with it. After all, it worked so well for the GOP. It has to be a strategic winner for the Dems!
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  Run with it. After all, it worked so well for the GOP. It has to be a strategic winner for the Dems!
                  don't just pop off, explain what you mean. When have the Democrats attempted to utilize either of these vs a Republican president post-Nixon?

Comment

don't just pop off, explain what you mean. When have the Democrats attempted to utilize either of these vs a Republican president post-Nixon?
                    did you bother reading?
                    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

did you bother reading?
                      read what? I didn't see anything to read

Comment

I’m hoping you and your fellow Dems go for impeachment. It worked so stunningly well for the GOP with a president who was caught cold lying under oath.

Now, this assumes the Dems take back Congress.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          I’m hoping you and your fellow Dems go for impeachment. It worked so stunningly well for the GOP with a president who was caught cold lying under oath.

Now, this assumes the Dems take back Congress.
                          But didn’t it work? Gore lost in 2000. Maybe there was just enough of a stench to turn off some voters? Personally speaking as a 2x voter for Clinton, I voted for Bush in ‘00.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            But didn’t it work? Gore lost in 2000. Maybe there was just enough of a stench to turn off some voters? Personally speaking as a 2x voter for Clinton, I voted for Bush in ‘00.
                            Clinton would have won in 2000 if he could have run again.
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• still working on more ways to poison the environment (and people along with it)

Trump Unveils His Plan to Weaken Car Pollution Rules

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/02/c...T.nav=top-news

Comment

• Is Dumb Donald dumb enough to publicly ask his Attorney General to obstruct justice by pleading with him to end the Mueller investigation? Yes!

Comment

Working...
                                X