X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    You mention TG's "attitude"
    no I mentioned the attitude he described in his post.

you still refuse to be specific about why Canada deserves your boycott, so whatever.
    just did in the post you quoted.

Your attempt to compare me to a Trump supporter is also laughable. What does that say about yourself, trying smear me as part of your own tribe?
    I compared you to Trump, not his supporters.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Psychedelic drugs won't impact longevity. Timothy Leary, 75... William S. Burroughs, 83... Albert Hoffman, 102... I'm not convinced.

Vegans are virtually heart attack proof, no diabetes, no gout, no erectile dysfunction, much less likely to develop many forms of cancer, particularly colon cancer etc... I'm sure luck and genetics play a part, but I like my chances of breaking 100 better than most. My physically active career should help too.

I wish Trump would prove my dietary beliefs right though... no idea how his heart hasn't exploded yet.
      I doubt that three examples shows that psychedelic drug use does not generally shorten life spans. I could use George Burns for my smoking, but it would be silly. I also doubt that vegans are heart attack proof, etc., as diet is not the only contributing factor to those conditions. I also doubt that erectile dysfunction has much to do with longevity. (I also doubt that other behaviors, such as long term drug use, wouldn't cause erectile dysfunction in vegans, except female vegans, they are probably safe.) I may be wrong, but I believe that the strongest link to long life is the life spans of your relatives (i.e. genetics)---if you have had many people in your family live long lives (I would think that it would be safe to discount those who died from totally irrelevant causes such as diseases that are easily cured now, war, car accidents, etc.) you will be more likely to live a longer life.

Comment

I wish Trump would prove my dietary beliefs right though... no idea how his heart hasn't exploded yet.
        Here is the biggest problem I have with much of the entire thread.

I dont ever recall a time when ever those moderate lefties were calling for the death of a President. It started essentially day 1 and continues on. Never before on this site have I actually seen people calling for the death of the President. Its just sad - SAD!
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          I doubt that three examples shows that psychedelic drug use does not generally shorten life spans. I could use George Burns for my smoking, but it would be silly. I also doubt that vegans are heart attack proof, etc., as diet is not the only contributing factor to those conditions. I also doubt that erectile dysfunction has much to do with longevity. (I also doubt that other behaviors, such as long term drug use, wouldn't cause erectile dysfunction in vegans, except female vegans, they are probably safe.) I may be wrong, but I believe that the strongest link to long life is the life spans of your relatives (i.e. genetics)---if you have had many people in your family live long lives (I would think that it would be safe to discount those who died from totally irrelevant causes such as diseases that are easily cured now, war, car accidents, etc.) you will be more likely to live a longer life.
          We dont pick our family, so I'm not sure why this comes up. If you could pick Betty White and Bill Clinton as your grandparents (2 vegans), sure, youd seem to have a greater chance at a longer life... but youd do a lot better to eat like them, as opposed to blaming genetics for better or worse. Lots of cancer and heart disease in my family too.... doesn't change how I live.

Vegans consume zero cholesterol. They can have heart attacks (saw a recent stat that said vegetarians 1/3 as likely as non-vegans for heart attacks, vegans are 1/10 as likely)... so it's not a silver bullet, but I love getting the dealer's odds...

Anyway, smoking, drinking, and exercise seem to be the largest 3 controllable factors to longevity. Not smoking cigarettess, not drinking for 7 years now, no dietary cholesterol, working in an active career, hauling and lifting all day, etc.... it's all preventative.

I should also say projecting myself to die somewhere between 85-105 doesn't seem outrageous. Canadian Male lifespan is over 80 now I believe. Biggest drag on lifespan right now is opioid deaths. 2 years in a row the average life expectancy has gone down due to opioids. So I wont have to worry about that either.

Weed smoke? Eh, lot less carcinogens than cigarettes. Doesn't really concern me too much.

Apologies for side-tracking.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post

I dont ever recall a time when ever those moderate lefties were calling for the death of a President. It started essentially day 1 and continues on. Never before on this site have I actually seen people calling for the death of the President. Its just sad - SAD!
            Calm down, I wasn't "wishing him dead"... damn. I was talking about diet...

If my dad could have a heart attack to prove to him that he needs to change, I'd wish for that too.... wouldn't wish anybody dead to prove a point about diets. Lol.

How will Trump and his followers ever be properly, thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed for their gullibility if the f#@ker goes and dies on us?!! I want accountability, not death.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Um the general ending to a heart exploding is death.

If that was not your intent, my apologies, but your penchant for beating up Trump led me to believe that your general disdain for his is leading down this path.

They wont be embarrassed or ashamed, because their candidate won and the really couldnt bear the option the Dems put forth. Not going to re-hash the HRC is a horrible candidate. Here is how you know the Dems have lost touch with the country in general. Trump is President.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post

Another take on your comment... let's say the truth about foreign influence is closer to Rachel Maddow's take than we've realized... what's the maximum charge for Conspiracy to Defraud the US Government? Is it death? You cant get much more serious than the charges that many on the left believe were committed.

This is why your country is f#@ked. No accountability expected, let alone demanded. Nobody in the Bush/Cheney WH ever received so much as a damn public rebuke for their falsified war efforts that killed and crippled thousands...

Now you're saying that Trump voters will never feel ashamed or embarrassed becuz Hillary was worse... I have more faith than most that the Mueller conclusion will break the spell for many Trump supporters, but we shall see.

That's the real difference between the right wing and left wing. Left wing often but not always portrays keeping standards of decency and apologizes when they do wrong, usually cannibalize their own (Al Franken amirite?). Right wing views apology as weakness, unless its Trump knobbing Putin in front of the world.

Still haven't seen a single right winger on here come out against Jim Jordan.

Comment

• So just a couple of days after Dopey Donald looked like he had a gun to his head when he read an "apology" in monotone, where he made the US look like a laughingstock at his "I really meant to say I wouldn't" press conference, he tweeted out the whole Russia thing is a hoax again. Please, please, for the sake of some sanity in this country, get this moron out of this office.

Comment

• Here is how you know the Dems have lost touch with the country in general. Trump is President.
                    Terribly sloppy logic. We would need to assume there was a fair election, and simply dismiss that there was scale tipping harm done by not only FBI picking and choosing to release harmful statement re: HRC, at same time concealing info on Trump, as well as the thousands of Putin operatives working around the clock without any obstacles that shaped an entire world view for millions who get info online from unveted but comfortable sources that essentially put a puppet in WH.

We could say pithy bits that mirror yours, such as "we now know xenophobia is correct and the god protected path, as the Christian right, as well as every white supremacist supports Trump, and Trump won. And god is good. Ergo god is Trump like, and Trump is god like."

Every days news is just another day to ignore, as you have done with that statement. News is irrelevant, facts are meaningless. Why? Trump won, this proves ...., then fill in blank with silly statement.

Better to talk of what happened today. As every day is new news. Add this also fills in a bit more that we did not know yesterday.

Comment

• regarding longevity, best indicator of long life is family history. But absolutely there are moves people make to shorten their lives. .99 cent heart attacks from grabbing drive thru cheeseburger every day before getting home to plop in front of tv, rather than plan a bit for heart health, for instance. How much control do we really exercise in breaking our genetic coding that says you have reached end of your life. Will we ever reach point where you could input variables into an equation,it all boils down to math, does eating kale instead of potato chips every day add a mathematical 77 days to your life?

Comment

• Here's Trump's day in a nutshell...more loony behavior and additional secrecy.

White House says Trump wants to revoke security clearances for former officials critical of him over Russia

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters that President Trump is targeting these officials' security clearances because they "have politicized and in some cases monetized their public service" and have made "baseless" claims about the president's relationship and contacts with the Russian government.

The officials Sanders said are being examined are former CIA director John Brennan; former FBI director James B. Comey; former CIA director Michael V. Hayden; former national security adviser Susan E. Rice; former director of national intelligence James R. Clapper Jr.; and former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe.

"The fact that people with security clearances are making these baseless charges provides inappropriate legitimacy to accusations with zero evidence," she said.
                        Accidentally released documents show Trump administration dismissed benefits of protected public land in favor of logging, drilling

In a quest to shrink national monuments, senior Interior Department officials dismissed evidence that these public lands boosted tourism and spurred archaeological discoveries, according to documents the department released last week and retracted a day later.

The thousands of pages of email correspondence chart how Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke and his aides instead tailored their survey of protected sites to emphasize the value of logging, ranching and energy development that would be unlocked if they were not designated as national monuments.

Comments the department’s Freedom of Information Act officers made in the documents show that they sought to keep some of the references out of public view because they were “revealing [the] strategy” behind the review.
                        Trump warns Iranian president of consequences ‘few ... have ever suffered’ if he threatens the United States again

President Trump, in an all-caps tweet late Sunday night, warned President Hassan Rouhani, “NEVER, EVER THREATEN THE UNITED STATES AGAIN OR YOU WILL SUFFER CONSEQUENCES THE LIKES OF WHICH FEW THROUGHOUT HISTORY HAVE EVER SUFFERED BEFORE. WE ARE NO LONGER A COUNTRY THAT WILL STAND FOR YOUR DEMENTED WORDS OF VIOLENCE & DEATH. BE CAUTIOUS!”

Earlier Sunday, Rouhani said the United States should avoid inciting Iranians against the government. “America should know that peace with Iran is the mother of all peace, and war with Iran is the mother of all wars,” Rouhani told a meeting of Iranian diplomats, according to the Islamic Republic News Agency.
                        All courtesy of WaPo news alerts...
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

We dont pick our family, so I'm not sure why this comes up. If you could pick Betty White and Bill Clinton as your grandparents (2 vegans), sure, youd seem to have a greater chance at a longer life... but youd do a lot better to eat like them, as opposed to blaming genetics for better or worse. Lots of cancer and heart disease in my family too.... doesn't change how I live.

Vegans consume zero cholesterol. They can have heart attacks (saw a recent stat that said vegetarians 1/3 as likely as non-vegans for heart attacks, vegans are 1/10 as likely)... so it's not a silver bullet, but I love getting the dealer's odds...

Anyway, smoking, drinking, and exercise seem to be the largest 3 controllable factors to longevity. Not smoking cigarettess, not drinking for 7 years now, no dietary cholesterol, working in an active career, hauling and lifting all day, etc.... it's all preventative.

I should also say projecting myself to die somewhere between 85-105 doesn't seem outrageous. Canadian Male lifespan is over 80 now I believe. Biggest drag on lifespan right now is opioid deaths. 2 years in a row the average life expectancy has gone down due to opioids. So I wont have to worry about that either.

Weed smoke? Eh, lot less carcinogens than cigarettes. Doesn't really concern me too much.

Apologies for side-tracking.
                          Just a few points; first I am not being particularly serious here. I just found it funny to have the comment about possibly living until 105 here and the psychedelic drug thread in such proximity. A few other random points:

1. Yes, behavioral factors you mentioned are the primary ones that tend to prolong life (not smoking, not drinking in excess, and exercising).

2. I would assume you are likely (percentage wise) to live to 85. Given that you are Canadian and have lived to 35 years old (all the average life-span stats include those who die young, which skews the averages down; I am sure 35-year-old Canadian men in generally good health do have a life span of around or over 85 years. Same would probably be true in most developed nations.

3. I would think it is very unlikely that you will live to 105 as you mentioned was a possibility. You have two major factors going against you there: you are human, and you are male. 105 years is beyond the normal life span of even a very healthy human, and women live longer than men. The odds of living to 105 are so small that I would assume that all other factors are more or less irrelevant. (If you were a certain species of sea turtle, on the other hand, ... ; )).

4. I am not sure Bill Clinton is the example you want to pick. He only became a vegan in 2010 after a quadruple bypass, a collapsed lung, and two stents. He's only 71. I would guess that given his health condition he is probably 50/50 at best to make it to 85. Having Betty White as a grandparent, however, would be so cool, the genetic health benefits would just be secondary.

5. I still think psychedelic drugs are probably not good for your health. If for no other reason than their illegality---which makes it very difficult to be able to ascertain whether they are well made or contain very dangerous components. Legalizing them would probably make them much safer. Taking a decent one once or twice probably would not have any effect on life-span, but long-term use would have to bad for you, I imagine.

6. I really don't think I mentioned marijuana. I believe that long term use can lead to increased instances of erectile dysfunction, but I am not sure about anything with life span. (Gotta love the old radio show "Love Line" for that one, lol.)

7. I imagine that a vegan diet is a healthy diet. Is it healthier than other healthy diets? I doubt that. A pescatarian diet (fish, but not other meat; to answer a question someone else asked) would be pretty healthy, as would all kinds of balanced diets.

8. I am 43 and male. I also drink to much, smoke, and have a diet that cannot get me below 280 pounds despite my exercising a lot. Pray for me, lol.

Comment

• did Trump say that about Iran out of the blue or did something happen or he was watching fox news and Iran was doing their usual death to america thing? just seems like a knee-jerk reaction in all caps.

interesting response from Iran saying it was an attempt to get the people against the government when it obviously really has the opposite effect. and plays into their america is the enemy theme.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                              did Trump say that about Iran out of the blue or did something happen or he was watching fox news and Iran was doing their usual death to america thing? just seems like a knee-jerk reaction in all caps.
                              Iran was doing their usual death to America thing. It was still a knee-jerk reaction for the exact reason you listed.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                                8. I am 43 and male. I also drink to much, smoke, and have a diet that cannot get me below 280 pounds despite my exercising a lot. Pray for me, lol.
                                But are you still playing chess?
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X