Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it really an attempt to "cut taxes" when this deduction was capped without their input and imposed against their bitter opposition? 'Cause, you know, grand tales of getting an extra $1.50 in their weekly paycheck doesn't go over too well in NYC.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Is it really an attempt to "cut taxes" when this deduction was capped without their input and imposed against their bitter opposition? 'Cause, you know, grand tales of getting an extra $1.50 in their weekly paycheck doesn't go over too well in NYC.
      My question to these guys would be; “Are you not for taxing the wealthy after all or is only other states wealthy that should pay more taxes?” These are not taxes coming out of lower income pockets.
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
        My question to these guys would be; “Are you not for taxing the wealthy after all or is only other states wealthy that should pay more taxes?” These are not taxes coming out of lower income pockets.
        True, but the cost of living is so high in NYC, it is coming from folks who live like the middle class, despite their income. It is the same issue we see at the other end, with minimum wage. A minimum livable wage is a lot higher in an NYC or San Fran than in more affordable places.

What income constitutes rich and poor varies by location. Whether that should matter for federal tax laws is an interesting debate. I'm not sure either way.

Comment

Bernie, you obviously have no idea how much property taxes are in the NY/NJ area (as well as MD & CT, who are also part of the lawsuit). Thinking regular homeowners are “wealthy” borders on the ridiculous.

Just as an FYI, I live in a town with a median household income of $55k. The property taxes on my house is $12k — already $2k over the limit.

Comment

And my answer would be: Yes, I am. But that doesn't mean you don't create a fair progressive taxing scheme that recognizes the cumulative impact of federal, state and local taxes. The end result should still be progressive, with the wealthiest paying the highest percentage of income and the poorest paying the least, but it should be cognizant of the total amount being taxed. Particularly since it is also in the federal government's best interest to leave things like school funding and police and fire and sanitation and a huge share of health care/health insurance/public assistance funding to states and municipalities. So it's reasonable to acknowledge the share of the public services assumed by the states and municipalities through the contributions of their taxpayers.

Comment

Bernie, you obviously have no idea how much property taxes are in the NY/NJ area (as well as MD & CT, who are also part of the lawsuit). Thinking regular homeowners are “wealthy” borders on the ridiculous.

Just as an FYI, I live in a town with a median household income of $55k. The property taxes on my house is $12k — already $2k over the limit.
              While this is true, Bernie's key point also remains true: if this lawsuit were successful - which it will not be - the result would clearly benefit high income people much more than low income people. It's also true in this area that middle class people will be helped, but still to nowhere near the same dollars than high income people.

There's the secondary consideration for NY residents, who should ask themselves this: Why do we get so little for such a high cost? NY ranks 31st in preK - 12th grade performance, per latest US News data. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

But my point was Trump has now managed to get two liberal Democrats to sue for a MORE regressive taxation scheme.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Its chaos I tell you --- all chaos...............
                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor
                  While this is true, Bernie's key point also remains true: if this lawsuit were successful - which it will not be - the result would clearly benefit high income people much more than low income people. It's also true in this area that middle class people will be helped, but still to nowhere near the same dollars than high income people.
                  What about % of income rather than just dollars?

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  There's the secondary consideration for NY residents, who should ask themselves this: Why do we get so little for such a high cost? NY ranks 31st in preK - 12th grade performance, per latest US News data. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education
                  New York City property taxes are very low. It's the suburbs (Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland Counties) where they're high. And then they move to NJ (#2 on your list) to pay even higher high property taxes.

Comment

Heresy! That's another GOP argument. One would think a tax cut that benefitted the middle class by 10% and the higher income classes by 5% would be good policy, but that's never the argument heard from the left.

New York City property taxes are very low. It's the suburbs (Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland Counties) where they're high. And then they move to NJ (#2 on your list) to pay even higher high property taxes.
                    Yeah, at least in terms of public schools, Jersey residents can at least feel they get their money's worth.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Its just so funny that one of the lefties is asking this question - and I believe means it. The last time there was a large discussion on our tax structure the mere thought and suggestion of a flat % tax caused a mild riff in the fabric and those of us "less progressive" individuals were castigated for suggesting that simple math was such a regressive thing.
                      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                        Its just so funny that one of the lefties is asking this question - and I believe means it. The last time there was a large discussion on our tax structure the mere thought and suggestion of a flat % tax caused a mild riff in the fabric and those of us "less progressive" individuals were castigated for suggesting that simple math was such a regressive thing.
                        Lefty? I was a registered republican for almost 30 years.

How about if we add a 15% tax on residents of Minnesota, Arizona and Wisconsin. Sound good to you?

Originally posted by chancellor
                        Heresy! That's another GOP argument. One would think a tax cut that benefitted the middle class by 10% and the higher income classes by 5% would be good policy, but that's never the argument heard from the left.
                        Can you point me to a study that shows residents of these states will benefit by the amount you state? Because it's well known that NJ residents will get crushed by Dumb Donald's "tax cuts."

Comment

Lefty? I was a registered republican for almost 30 years.

How about if we add a 15% tax on residents of Minnesota, Arizona and Wisconsin. Sound good to you?

Can you point me to a study that shows residents of these states will benefit by the amount you state? Because it's well known that NJ residents will get crushed by Dumb Donald's "tax cuts."
                          LOL...Minnesota was one of the few states that RAISED taxes on the wealthy, and is doing quite well. While we like to help our neighbors, especially poor Wisconsin 15% seems to be a might generous.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            LOL...Minnesota was one of the few states that RAISED taxes on the wealthy, and is doing quite well. While we like to help our neighbors, especially poor Wisconsin 15% seems to be a might generous.
                            How about all residents of Minnesota "except for Hornsby, but must include Baldgriff wherever he lives."

Comment

• Please forgive Revo - I thought you were a lefty... my bad (and terrible memory).

As to taxes in MN. I lived there - they have one of the highest state tax rates in the country. Im sure they would not be appreciative. I live in AZ, much lower tax base than now, so the add may not hurt as much here.

Honestly - NO ONE wants to pay more in taxes!

Hearing NY or NJ bitch about paying more in taxes is hearing an echo in a canyon....... Everyone hates to pay them - especially when they are wasted on crappy spending projects, over regulation bureaucracy, and horrible budget control.

Comment

How about all residents of Minnesota "except for Hornsby, but must include Baldgriff wherever he lives."
                                Can I get the Hornsby Exemption too, I work for a small nonprofit...
                                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Working...
                                X