This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
    Of course he is not right. President Obama's humanity did bind future presidents to make similar agreements. Where do you two get this idea? My response to nots was more than his post deserved. It was partisan nonsense.
    Must seem like nonsense because you didnt read it carefully. At no time did i say future Presidents are bound to Obamas policy. What i am saying is that those boats are going to keep coming and Australia is going to keep turning them away. And those little island detention centers are going to fill up again. Is it really so hard to believe we will again be asked to solve the problem again?
    And i didnt realize it was partisan nonsense to think Australia ought to deal with what are now,in effect, her refugees.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
      To me, the issue at hand is America once again creating too large a footprint in the world, something that has been a constant for at least the last 2 administrations. Australia has very strict immigration laws and has created a problem for herself with these strict laws. They folks there chose these laws and seem happy with them. Now, a humanitarian crisis has happened, one Australia could easily solve herself, by relaxing the immigration laws. Instead, we are asked (or possibly volunteered) to help solve their self-created problem. We have enough of an immigration crisis here with regard to Central America. Why do we need to import Australia's problem?
      No, but we need to honor our agreements.

However, Trump has a long history of bailing on his agreements so this is no surprise.

Frankly, you should demand more of him ethically or you'll be just like the Hillary supporters who looked past her lack of integrity

Comment

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post
        No, but we need to honor our agreements.

However, Trump has a long history of bailing on his agreements so this is no surprise.

Frankly, you should demand more of him ethically or you'll be just like the Hillary supporters who looked past her lack of integrity
        I do think he should abide by the agreement. I also think it was a terrible agreement to sign for. I think he hould be repectful to the Australian PM. I also think he should be ckear and direct that they shoukd solve their own immigration problems.

Comment

I do think he should abide by the agreement. I also think it was a terrible agreement to sign for. I think he hould be repectful to the Australian PM. I also think he should be ckear and direct that they shoukd solve their own immigration problems.
          I was going to reply with essentially the exact same thoughts. Thanks for reading my mind!
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I agree with you on these points

Comment

Must seem like nonsense because you didnt read it carefully. At no time did i say future Presidents are bound to Obamas policy. What i am saying is that those boats are going to keep coming and Australia is going to keep turning them away. And those little island detention centers are going to fill up again. Is it really so hard to believe we will again be asked to solve the problem again?
              And i didnt realize it was partisan nonsense to think Australia ought to deal with what are now,in effect, her refugees.
              I read it carefully. I know that refugees will continue to be a problem in the world for decades to come. My objection was to your dour prediction that Australia would ask again, and that our President would automatically say "yes". I find that overly presumptuous under the circumstances.

And Trump will walk this back and blame the media and this will be over. It was supposed to be a simple one-hour telephone call. Someone said last night, and it is true, that Trump could screw up a two-car funeral.
              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

I read it carefully. I know that refugees will continue to be a problem in the world for decades to come. My objection was to your dour prediction that Australia would ask again, and that our President would automatically say "yes". I find that overly presumptuous under the circumstances.

And Trump will walk this back and blame the media and this will be over. It was supposed to be a simple one-hour telephone call. Someone said last night, and it is true, that Trump could screw up a two-car funeral.
                This makes the false assumption that it wasn't deliberate. These people talking about incompetence are really missing the point IMO. Trump doesn't know a lot about governing, but he's a true mastermind at manipulating the media. The more outrage he generates, the more he can paint the media as the opposition party. No matter what poor little Donald does, the media and the left protest.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump will honor a U.S. agreement with Australia to accept refugees housed on islands off that country's coast although he is unhappy about the deal, the White House said on Thursday.

"The deal that was cut by the last administration is something that he's extremely, extremely upset with," White House spokesman Sean Spicer said at a news briefing. "He does not like it."

Spicer said that out of respect for Australia and its prime minister, Trump would allow the process to go forward under conditions set under by the deal that provide for "extreme vetting" of the refugees.
                  If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Yeah, that worked out well for him. He still takes the heat, and tacitly admits that Obama's agreement called for "extreme vetting". Mastermind.

Comment

Yeah, that worked out well for him. He still takes the heat, and tacitly admits that Obama's agreement called for "extreme vetting". Mastermind.
                      We see him for the fool he is, but his base hears that their man wanted to protect us but the Kenyan is still making us vulnerable.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        This makes the false assumption that it wasn't deliberate. These people talking about incompetence are really missing the point IMO. Trump doesn't know a lot about governing, but he's a true mastermind at manipulating the media. The more outrage he generates, the more he can paint the media as the opposition party. No matter what poor little Donald does, the media and the left protest.
                        He's many things, narcissist, sociopath, bully, but one thing that he's not is a mastermind. He's a one trick pony, yell and bully people until they give in. His MO in business was the same...make a deal, renege on the deal when the other party was running out of options, then renegotiate the deal.

You do realize that only a little over 27% of the eligible voters in the US voted for him, so it's not like he's got a mandate, he doesn't have a majority, he didn't even win the popular vote. And he's NOT manipulating the media, they're quickly regaining their footing and coming back twice as hard. That's where all of these leaks come from, people are desperate to make it stop, and so they spill things to the media. He's losing supporters every day, not gaining them.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          He's many things, narcissist, sociopath, bully, but one thing that he's not is a mastermind. He's a one trick pony, yell and bully people until they give in. His MO in business was the same...make a deal, renege on the deal when the other party was running out of options, then renegotiate the deal.

You do realize that only a little over 27% of the eligible voters in the US voted for him, so it's not like he's got a mandate, he doesn't have a majority, he didn't even win the popular vote. And he's NOT manipulating the media, they're quickly regaining their footing and coming back twice as hard. That's where all of these leaks come from, people are desperate to make it stop, and so they spill things to the media. He's losing supporters every day, not gaining them.
                          Amazing that you continue to underestimate him even now. He not only won, but helped propel his party into almost absolute power. His extreme nominees will all be confirmed and he'll bully whoever stands in the way of getting what he wants. They'll get rid of the filibuster not only for nominees but for legislation as well if the Democrats actually manage to stand up themselves. And if you seriously are pinning your hopes on McConnell standing up to Trump, then I can only laugh. The media is not going to stand in his way. They can expose his immoral and likely illegal actions all they want, but it won't matter because most people in our country simply don't care. Dark days are ahead and the only way this lunatic will be stopped is if the people rise up. I'm not hopeful.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            Amazing that you continue to underestimate him even now. He not only won, but helped propel his party into almost absolute power. His extreme nominees will all be confirmed and he'll bully whoever stands in the way of getting what he wants. They'll get rid of the filibuster not only for nominees but for legislation as well if the Democrats actually manage to stand up themselves. And if you seriously are pinning your hopes on McConnell standing up to Trump, then I can only laugh. The media is not going to stand in his way. They can expose his immoral and likely illegal actions all they want, but it won't matter because most people in our country simply don't care. Dark days are ahead and the only way this lunatic will be stopped is if the people rise up. I'm not hopeful.
                            What's amazing to me is how people continue to OVERestimate him. He's not a smart man, he's a bully. He's got a Nazi as his main advisor. Anyone remotely mainstream is ridiculed by him and Bannon, Priebus is said to be at his wits end. Want to get rid of the filibuster, use the "Nuclear Option"? Fine, guess who's going to be in power again before too long and jam that right up the GOP's ass? Rules work both ways, and McConnell knows that. His people WILL be confirmed, with the possible exception of DeVos, and guess what? They'll pretty much all be gone in less than their 4 year terms.

Again, 27% of the eligible voters cast a ballot for this shit-show, that razor thin margin isn't difficult to overcome if the Democrats pull together. And I guess that you haven't noticed, but the people HAVE risen up, and will continue to do so. Protests will grow larger and more organized because the people DO care, despite what you may think.

Yes, dark days are ahead, but there is a light out there, and it ain't the oncoming freight train.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• I don't know if our when Democrats will regain either chamber anytime soon, but what I have noticed is that Courts are starting to overturn GOP gerrymandering which has given them some huge advantages in some states. Between that and the natural swing of the pendulum, I wouldn't be too surprised to see things even out. If so, payback could be a bitch.

Comment

I don't know if our when Democrats will regain either chamber anytime soon, but what I have noticed is that Courts are starting to overturn GOP gerrymandering which has given them some huge advantages in some states. Between that and the natural swing of the pendulum, I wouldn't be too surprised to see things even out. If so, payback could be a bitch.
                                Won't matter. By then, court could have 3 new justices and will retard movement to overturn what is being done now.

Comment

Working...
                                X