X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post

He will not finish his term.
    Despite my tremendous concerns about Mike Pence being POTUS, I hope you are right, as having someone I totally disagree with that at least understands and respects how our country opperates, and at least has some dignity and decorum, would be highly preferable to having this embarrassing carnival barker as POTUS.

But given how he has acted already, I really don't know what he'd need to say or do to get impeached, at least not until 2018, and with so many Dems up vs Repubs in 2018, even with Trump being Trump, it is going to be really hard for Dems to win a majority.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Yet another example of how clueless Trump is, or how indifferent he is about the basic principles of our nation. He seems to be governing by throwing out ideas and seeing which ones get the most support or backlash on social media, indifferent to the rule of law. That is not how a leader governs, and it really seems out of whack for a self-professed Republican, as I've always understood Republicans to be in favor of the rule of law rather than the whims of the majority.
      A concern for me is where he gets those ideas. I have seen instances in which conservative commentators on cable news will shout outrage about something which is shortly afterwards reflected in a Trump tweet. In this case, a Fox News there was apparently a Fox News guest who called for stripping funds from Berkeley, and within minutes Trump issued his tweet calling for the same thing. Coincidence?
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
        A concern for me is where he gets those ideas. I have seen instances in which conservative commentators on cable news will shout outrage about something which is shortly afterwards reflected in a Trump tweet. In this case, a Fox News there was apparently a Fox News guest who called for stripping funds from Berkeley, and within minutes Trump issued his tweet calling for the same thing. Coincidence?
        Oh no, it is clear that he gets it from Fox and other even more radical right winged news sources. He has admitted as much in the past when asked where he gets his information about issues. He prefers to get his information that way, as evident from him skipping out on intelligence briefings provided by actual experts. Why look at facts and the considered opinions of experts when you can get the world filtered to you through the biased, misinformed editorializing on an entertainment channel?

I have to imagine some of these talking heads are purposefully provocative and over-the-top to get ratings, and maybe don't fully believe the most outlandish of their claims. If I am such a talking head, and I realize that my every word may become the next EO of the president, maybe I start to tone it down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          To me the Australia deal was nothing more than a humanitarian drop in the bucket by Obama. Many people, myself included, publicly wondered why we couldn't/didn't/wouldn't do more for the refugees pouring out of countries around the world. We are allegedly the richest country in the world, and yet we lagged behind other nations in extending a helping hand.

This is what the deal with Australia was all about, IMO, a show that we're really good guys after all, without really doing a whole lot about it. 1,250 thoroughly vetted refugees are a drop in the bucket, and Trump should realize that Obama handed him a public relations bonanza instead of a nightmare. He could have been Trump the compassionate conservative, and sold that to his base. Instead he once again screwed the pooch around the world.
          They didn't pour out to us....these refugees poured out to Australia. And Australia turned them away and asked us to take half of them, which they will do again next time a smugglers boat tries to land on her shore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Despite my tremendous concerns about Mike Pence being POTUS, I hope you are right, as having someone I totally disagree with that at least understands and respects how our country opperates, and at least has some dignity and decorum, would be highly preferable to having this embarrassing carnival barker as POTUS.

But given how he has acted already, I really don't know what he'd need to say or do to get impeached, at least not until 2018, and with so many Dems up vs Repubs in 2018, even with Trump being Trump, it is going to be really hard for Dems to win a majority.
            He won't be impeached. Bad judgment doesn't get you impeached unless you are Bill Clinton, and he was never convicted of a crime. The House would never consider Articles, and even if they did, the Senate would never convict. Only possible exception would be if he was actually charged and convicted of a real crime in the outside world, and that is not going to happen anytime in the next four years, regardless. So, waiting on impeachment to happen is a fool's game.

Trump will serve out his first term. The question is whether he will wise up and realize his preternatural ego is hurting him more than helping him, and that he has to surround himself with better people than Steve Bannon. So long as he keeps alt-right gangsters at his right hand, he will be hounded by every liberal group in the country. If he gets rid of them, and gets out of campaign mode, he can start trying to accomplishing whatever his real agenda is. I just don't know if he can do low-key, or if he really has an agenda other than getting publicity.
            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
              They didn't pour out to us....these refugees poured out to Australia. And Australia turned them away and asked us to take half of them, which they will do again next time a smugglers boat tries to land on her shore.
              Australia made it clear it was a one-off. Or did you not read the article I cited you to?

Comment

Australia made it clear it was a one-off. Or did you not read the article I cited you to?
                Sure its a one off. Then when the same thing happens again in a few years, a different Austtalian PM will ask a different US President to take another 1000 refugees.

Comment

• If there's one thing I'm afraid of in this Trump Regime......it's that The Onion is going to go out of business.

Yes, at the National Prayer Breakfast, where there were foreign dignitaries in attendance, Trump blasts Arnold Schwarzenegger for poor ratings on "The Celebrity Apprentice." You just can't make this stuff up, folks.

WASHINGTON — President Trump turned his speech to National Prayer Breakfast into a roast, mocking critics including Arnold Schwarzenegger and promising to "be tough" with foreign leaders at an event that is normally solemn and bipartisan in tone.

He led off his speech by attacking actor and former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R), who has replaced him on "The Apprentice," asking the audience to "pray" for the show's rating to improve.

"They hired a big big movie star Arnold Schwarzenegger to take my place, and we know how that turned out. The ratings went right down the tubes, it’s been a total disaster, and Mark will never, ever bet against Trump again, and I want to just pray for Arnold if we can for those ratings," he said.
                  WASHINGTON — President Trump turned his speech to National Prayer Breakfast into a roast, mocking critics including Arnold Schwarzenegger and promising to “be tough” with foreign …

Comment

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post
                    To be honest, that's not even the issue at hand.

The issue is that what we're seeing is that this administration and Trump in particular belive that the rules don't apply to them.

He also lacks the tact and sophistication the office of President demands which will complicate that issue (even though it's an issue unto itself)

Pissing people off, tearing up treaties, ignoring Congress and council, thumbing your nose at the judicial system is only going to result in one thing.

He will not finish his term.
                    To me, the issue at hand is America once again creating too large a footprint in the world, something that has been a constant for at least the last 2 administrations. Australia has very strict immigration laws and has created a problem for herself with these strict laws. They folks there chose these laws and seem happy with them. Now, a humanitarian crisis has happened, one Australia could easily solve herself, by relaxing the immigration laws. Instead, we are asked (or possibly volunteered) to help solve their self-created problem. We have enough of an immigration crisis here with regard to Central America. Why do we need to import Australia's problem?

Comment

Sure its a one off. Then when the same thing happens again in a few years, a different Austtalian PM will ask a different US President to take another 1000 refugees.
                      And that different President will say "hell no" and fire off an ICBM at Canberra just because he asked. (Two can play at that dumb game.)

Comment

And that different President will say "hell no" and fire off an ICBM at Canberra just because he asked. (Two can play at that dumb game.)
                        What a well thought out respomse

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          We are allegedly the richest country in the world, and yet we lagged behind other nations in extending a helping hand.
                          Australia is quite wealthy also.

What about some other wealthy counties like China and Japan. Just curious to know how many refugees they are taking.
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

you are exactly right.
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

You missed my point, let me try to clarify it. This was a case where Obama could bring in a limited amount of already heavily vetted refugees with terribly sad stories. He and the Administration look good, while really doing nothing at all about the refugee problem, which is vast in scope. Look at it as a PR move and little more.

Australia has banned boat refugees from even landing on the Continent, which is why they're on the 2 Island detention centers. If another country doesn't take them, they're apparently doomed to stay there indefinitely...
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                                you are exactly right.
                                Of course he is not right. President Obama's humanity did bind future presidents to make similar agreements. Where do you two get this idea? My response to nots was more than his post deserved. It was partisan nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                                X