This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I just read that farmer suicide rates have been rising recently. It is now a staggering 5x higher the national average. That is awful. The economics of farming is not good for farmers, and that seems to be the main cause. Things need to change. Goes back to basics. Gotta take care of those that grow the food that feeds us. Maybe this in an area Dems can try to win voters on. Repubs aren't doing enough for them right now nationally. Dems should take up the cause. Someone should.
    Yeah, it's pretty awful out in the rural areas...reminds me of the farm crisis of the 80's in some ways. It's certainly an area that needs a boatload of help...these people are suffering, and the feds don't seem to care.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Did progressive media sources ever have any credibility with his base? Or do you mean they are losing cred with swing voters and Dems? I could see swing voters, but Dems eat up Trump is bad news.
      I’m not talking about his base. I’m a CNN guy, historically, I don’t ask them to play middle of the road. I want to be mentally challenged. But they are so invested in anti-Trump coverage, it’s sickening. Look at the video of Brian Stellter talking with Glen Beck. This kind of smug shit will force people in the middle to choose sides. And, I assure you that with characters like Maxine and Nancy and Dick, and Corey and Elizabeth and of course Bernie (not me) running the D show, they all won’t choose the D side.

To be clear, I’ll likely never vote for Trump, but I’ll be forced to write in someone if the Dems put forth one the knobs I just listed.
      Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 06-26-2018, 09:49 PM.
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Yeah, it's pretty awful out in the rural areas...reminds me of the farm crisis of the 80's in some ways. It's certainly an area that needs a boatload of help...these people are suffering, and the feds don't seem to care.
        I’m not sure how to post a picture from my phone but I saw this on my way home from Northern Wisconsin yesterday. Kinda gives you a sense of the larger non-blue areas of the state: 8D26EF58-4965-45F3-97B6-B9F6EF8D3E3C.jpg

Maybe the picture will work maybe not. But it’s a dump truck with the company tag line saying. “Make American Great Again”. Maybe it helps in Wisconsin, but it’s probably not a good marketing strategy here in Chicago!
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
          I’m truly afraid he’ll be re-elected because the Dems are going low and mad media is losing credibility, real or imagined, as they fight in the mud with a pig. Pigs know mud!!!
          If they nominate a bad candidate again, there's a decent chance they lose. Bloomberg says he might run in 2020 as a democrat. I'd definitely listen to what he has to say if that happened. The rest of the field, not so much.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            If they nominate a bad candidate again, there's a decent chance they lose. Bloomberg says he might run in 2020 as a democrat. I'd definitely listen to what he has to say if that happened. The rest of the field, not so much.
            Well, Trump equates money with worth, so Bloomberg may be the one candidate Trump would respect/fear. Bloomberg could buy and sell him 20 times over.

Comment

Well, Trump equates money with worth, so Bloomberg may be the one candidate Trump would respect/fear. Bloomberg could buy and sell him 20 times over.
              I would have to seriously listen to Bloomberg.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Omigosh, Bloomberg would be awesome. Still, the Dems have to use my “Black Panther” theory — enlist Booker or Harris as VP!

Comment

• FWIW:
                  June of Second year in office Gallup Approval Ratings:
                  Obama 47
                  Reagan 44
                  Clinton 44
                  Carter 42

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Omigosh, Bloomberg would be awesome. Still, the Dems have to use my “Black Panther” theory — enlist Booker or Harris as VP!
                    That would kill the deal for me. If the VP choice were some centrist without the showboating personality I’d be in on that.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

That would kill the deal for me. If the VP choice were some centrist without the showboating personality I’d be in on that.
                      How did you vote last presidential election?

And some of the ones before that? I just want to see what Dem tickets piqued your interest enough their vote

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                        How did you vote last presidential election?

And some of the ones before that? I just want to see what Dem tickets piqued your interest enough their vote
                        I’m in Illinois and knew my vote didn’t matter, so I wrote in Paul Ryan. You know, someone, who until he had to genuflect to Trump, was a fiscal conservative. He’s not a social liberal, which I consider myself to be, but he was a reasonable alternative. I was a big Romney/Ryan guy in 2012. Would’ve voted Romney if he ran again.
                        Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 06-27-2018, 06:36 AM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I’m in Illinois and knew my vote didn’t matter, so I wrote in Paul Ryan. You know, someone, who until he had to genuflect to Trump, was a fiscal conservative. He’s not a social liberal, which I consider myself to be, but he was a reasonable alternative. I was a big Romney/Ryan guy in 2012. Would’ve voted Romney if he ran again.
                          Thanks for your answer. Have you voted for Dems in presidential elections?

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                            Thanks for your answer. Have you voted for Dems in presidential elections?
                            I have, but not recently. I voted (in reverse order; Romney/Ryan, McCann, Bush, Bush, Clinton in 1996 over Dole. I also voted for Paul Simon way back when in the 1988 primaries and would have voted for him in the general. In the general I voted Bush 41. Yes, I’m old.

I thought Clinton was a pretty effective guy in his first term and almost immediately regretted that vote shortly after that election. I still think he did an OK job despite his proclivities. I cannot stomach Hillary, though. But again, I’ve lived in Illinois since I was 19. My voting for GOP candidates never mattered.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Bloomberg is the only guy who ever enticed me to vote against the Democratic candidate in a partisan election (NYC Mayoral Election 2005 v. Fernando Ferrer), so it would certainly be interesting to see him seek the presidential nomination as a Democrat. I wonder how many independents and traditional conservatives he'd pull away from Trump and how many "progressives" he'd lose to the Green Party or non-voting on the left. My instinct is that he'd also be hurt across the political spectrum by conscious and subconscious anti-Semitism (as would Bernie Sanders).

Comment

I'm surprised you'd let a VP pick sway your vote. VP's don't really matter much, unless the top guy croaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X