This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Well, he sure lost the CEO of Harley, but am I missing something with the poll numbers? He seems inexplicably popular with Republicans at the moment. I heard that polling had 90% of Repubs approving of him at the moment.

BTW, Trump, of course, had to respond. He threatened that Harley would be taxed "like never before" if they moved production overseas.
    As I recall the CEO was never a Trumper although the Davidson’s are. Considering that I’d bet many HOG (Harley Owners Group) members are conservative or even hard right, Merica, damn right, Trumpers, types, I’m not sure this has any impact on the Harley brand. If HOG members protest this move, my guess is Harley will cave. Those folks are buying Harley because it’s American made. 16% of Harley’s sales (40,000 bikes) were sold in the EU last year. I’m sitting no more than 20 feet from mine right now and I know that Harley has been really struggling in recent years trying to attract younger riders and women riders. Also, any time your brand is in the news that’s free pub. I’m not sure they are moving any jobs over seas, at least not quickly, as they already have plants in Thailand and Brazil. Jobs were already slated to be lost this year. The job loss is not in Milwaukee, most likely it is in Kansas City. Harley announced early this year, long before tariffs became an issue, that they were moving many of the KC jobs and production to their York, Pa. plant.
    Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 06-26-2018, 07:43 PM.
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
      As I recall the CEO was never a Trumper although the Davidson’s are. Considering that I’d bet many HOG (Harley Owners Group) members are conservative or even hard right, Merica, damn right, Trumpers, types, I’m not sure this has any impact on the Harley brand. If HOG members protest this move, my guess is Harley will cave. Those folks are buying Harley because it’s American made. 16% of Harley’s sales (40,000 bikes) were sold in the EU last year. I’m sitting no more than 20 feet from mine right now and I know that Harley has been really struggling in recent years trying to attract younger riders and women riders. Also, any time your brand is in the news that’s free pub. I’m not sure they are moving any jobs over seas, at least not quickly, as they already have plants in Thailand and Brazil. The job loss is not in Milwaukee, most likely it is in Kansas City. Harley announced early this year, long before tariffs became an issue, that they were moving many of the KC jobs to their York, Pa. plant.
      Yeah, I was inarticulately calling into question Hornsby's claim that this kerfuffle would in some way impact his base. If attacking the NFL didn't do it, this won't either. No matter what conservative institutions he attacks, his base always chooses him. He is as popular as ever.

Comment

Yeah, I was inarticulately calling into question Hornsby's claim that this kerfuffle would in some way impact his base. If attacking the NFL didn't do it, this won't either. No matter what conservative institutions he attacks, his base always chooses him. He is as popular as ever.
        I've said from the very beginning that his base was his base, and it wouldn't shrink considerably. However, when the CEO of a corporation that who's very brand is considered to be a part of Americana calls the President a moron, that says something. He won Wisconsin by 10,000 votes, it won't take a lot to lose it.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

As I recall the CEO was never a Trumper although the Davidson’s are. Considering that I’d bet many HOG (Harley Owners Group) members are conservative or even hard right, Merica, damn right, Trumpers, types, I’m not sure this has any impact on the Harley brand. If HOG members protest this move, my guess is Harley will cave. Those folks are buying Harley because it’s American made. 16% of Harley’s sales (40,000 bikes) were sold in the EU last year. I’m sitting no more than 20 feet from mine right now and I know that Harley has been really struggling in recent years trying to attract younger riders and women riders. Also, any time your brand is in the news that’s free pub. I’m not sure they are moving any jobs over seas, at least not quickly, as they already have plants in Thailand and Brazil. Jobs were already slated to be lost this year. The job loss is not in Milwaukee, most likely it is in Kansas City. Harley announced early this year, long before tariffs became an issue, that they were moving many of the KC jobs and production to their York, Pa. plant.
          but don't these tariff effect the higher selling price of the motorcycle - or it it considered a luxury brand where price has little impact on sales over American made?

Comment

• is there a cite for Post 4607 to this alleged comment below in that post?

Harley Davidson CEO Matthew S Levatich says:

"Our decision to move some of our operations is 100% based on President Trumps tariffs. Mr. Trump knows nothing about economics and even less about trade. The man is a moron."
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              I've said from the very beginning that his base was his base, and it wouldn't shrink considerably. However, when the CEO of a corporation that who's very brand is considered to be a part of Americana calls the President a moron, that says something. He won Wisconsin by 10,000 votes, it won't take a lot to lose it.
              Yeah, but he is doing well right now not just with his hardcore base. His approval rating among all repubs is at 90%. Way better than I'd expect given everything he says and does, but nonetheless less, nothing seems to be bringing down teflon Don. I'm beginning to really think he might get reelected, unless the Mueller probe puts him in jail first. Even then he might.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                is there a cite for Post 4607 to this alleged comment below in that post?

"Our decision to move some of our operations is 100% based on President Trumps tariffs. Mr. Trump knows nothing about economics and even less about trade. The man is a moron."
                Hmm, I can't find it either. I will defer to Horns here on his source. Looks like this might be "fake news", although Trump's attack on Harley is real enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  is there a cite for Post 4607 to this alleged comment below in that post?

Can't find the tweet right now, So I'll pull it down. When/if I can verify, I'll repost. My fault for not reposting the entire tweet...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I have no evidence of this but I think Wisconsin is growing deeper red than blue. There are two primary blue areas. Milwaukee and Madison, the two largest population areas. I think the rest of the state is pretty red. SCOTUS effectively kept Wisconsin purple leaning red.
                    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                      but don't these tariff effect the higher selling price of the motorcycle - or it it considered a luxury brand where price has little impact on sales over American made?
                      The Brand is super strong. HOG has historically been one of the most ardent of product supporters in the consumer market. Shit go on a cruise and in any port the first thing you’ll see, besides the obligatory tee shirt shop, is a Harley Store selling brand items and t-sheets. The bikes sold in the US may be impact by tariff costs inbound but the moving production out of the US for Euro bound bikes won’t deminish the brand.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Yeah, but he is doing well right now not just with his hardcore base. His approval rating among all repubs is at 90%. Way better than I'd expect given everything he says and does, but nonetheless less, nothing seems to be bringing down teflon Don. I'm beginning to really think he might get reelected, unless the Mueller probe puts him in jail first. Even then he might.
                        I’m truly afraid he’ll be re-elected because the Dems are going low and mad media is losing credibility, real or imagined, as they fight in the mud with a pig. Pigs know mud!!!

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I have no evidence of this but I think Wisconsin is growing deeper red than blue. There are two primary blue areas. Milwaukee and Madison, the two largest population areas. I think the rest of the state is pretty red. SCOTUS effectively kept Wisconsin purple leaning red.
                          It's going to be interesting to watch the effect of the tariffs, if they go through. Farm country in Minnesota is a pretty solid GOP area, but farmers are scared as hell right now with the crops already in and no way to change. China is already taking advantage of this by dropping the tariff on soybeans from certain Asian countries from 3% to 0%...that could really hurt a lot of farm country.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I’m truly afraid he’ll be re-elected because the Dems are going low and mad media is losing credibility, real or imagined, as they fight in the mud with a pig. Pigs know mud!!!
                            Did progressive media sources ever have any credibility with his base? Or do you mean they are losing cred with swing voters and Dems? I could see swing voters, but Dems eat up Trump is bad news.
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 06-26-2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

It's going to be interesting to watch the effect of the tariffs, if they go through. Farm country in Minnesota is a pretty solid GOP area, but farmers are scared as hell right now with the crops already in and no way to change. China is already taking advantage of this by dropping the tariff on soybeans from certain Asian countries from 3% to 0%...that could really hurt a lot of farm country.
                              I just read that farmer suicide rates have been rising recently. It is now a staggering 5x higher the national average. That is awful. The economics of farming is not good for farmers, and that seems to be the main cause. Things need to change. Goes back to basics. Gotta take care of those that grow the food that feeds us. Maybe this in an area Dems can try to win voters on. Repubs aren't doing enough for them right now nationally. Dems should take up the cause. Someone should.

Comment

Good Article on the poll numbers from CNN...depending on what side you're on.

In Gallup's new weekly poll released Monday, Trump's approval rating had cooled off to 41% while his disapproval shot up 5 percentage points -- up to 55%. It's easy to ascribe Trump's approval fade to his disastrous past week in which he badly underestimated the damage done by his administration's "zero-tolerance" policy at the border. Trump eventually flip-flopped on his insistence that an executive order wouldn't solve the family separation crisis but, even then, legal and logistical questions remained.

But in truth, Trump's 41% approval could well be simply a return to normal. After all, Trump has averaged 39% approval in Gallup polling for the totality of his presidency to date. Trump's numbers among Republicans remain strong (90% approval last week, 87% this week) and his numbers among Democrats remain dismal (10% approval last week, 5% this week).

On the one hand, Republicans remain extremely positive about Trump -- usually a sign the base of the party is activated and ready for the fall elections. On the other, the history of presidents under 50% approval in a midterm election is absolutely disastrous for the GOP. The average loss for the party in power is 36 House seats!

Trump's 45% showing last week had given some Republicans hopes that he might, maybe, make it close to 50% approval before November. Those hopes seem to have been short-lived. If you believe Gallup's long-term trend -- and you should -- the most likely place for Trump to wind up in November is somewhere between 39% and 42% in approval.
                                I noted in this space last week that President Donald Trump had tied his highest approval ratings – 45% – in Gallup’s weekly poll. A week can change a lot, apparently.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X