This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    The GOP has moral high ground to stand on.
    Nonsense. The sentiments across the political spectrum against continuing to execute this child separation policy are so widespread and strong that the Administration could simply stop today and no one would compel them to return to implementing it, including the courts, just as no one was compelling them to start implementing -- particularly not with this magnitude and vigor. This isn't meek compliance with law by the Trump Administration. It is a very deliberate policy move, and not one that was remotely forced upon them unwillingly.

Comment

• So here’s the thought, besides how absurd this policy is in the first place, that keeps going through my mind. Does DOJ, Homeland Security, or ICE have some sophisticated tracking mechanism or bio-data record of where each child has been relocated and where the corresponding parent or guardian have been located? Once this policy is stopped, and it will be just not soon enough, will there be immediate reunification’s? And will someone ensure that the child or children are reunified with someone who is not trafficking? If the parent or guardian has no birth certificate or proof of relationship, what happens to these kids?

Regardless of which party is in power, my father still can’t get the VA to get his health records right. We’re supposed to trust that the Government can unwind this without creating an even greater cluster-f$&/!
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Jill Colvin
        ‏Verified account @colvinj

BREAKING: AP Sources: Homeland Security secretary drafting order to end family separation at border; unclear if Trump will sign it.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
          So here’s the thought, besides how absurd this policy is in the first place, that keeps going through my mind. Does DOJ, Homeland Security, or ICE have some sophisticated tracking mechanism or bio-data record of where each child has been relocated and where the corresponding parent or guardian have been located? Once this policy is stopped, and it will be just not soon enough, will there be immediate reunification’s? And will someone ensure that the child or children are reunified with someone who is not trafficking? If the parent or guardian has no birth certificate or proof of relationship, what happens to these kids?

Regardless of which party is in power, my father still can’t get the VA to get his health records right. We’re supposed to trust that the Government can unwind this without creating an even greater cluster-f$&/!
          Good luck with your Dad Bernie...the VA is one of the great shames of this nation, IMO. People who have served their country deserve so much better than this.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Throughout this whole debacle, here's one thing neither side has addressed: Trump's staunch immigration policy WAS NO LONGER EFFECTIVE.

Let me clarify -- it DID work, and work well, in 2017. Southwest Border Apprehensions, the stat that shows how many illegals were caught coming from Mexico and by token, presumably how many actually made it through, dropped to 40-year lows in 2017. His tough talk was working. But in 2018, they rose back to -- and beyond, egads! -- Obama Administration levels. You know, that guy who many conservatives said did little to curb illegal immigration? Well, his policies were as effective as this guy with the tough tweets.

Beginning in February, Southwest border apprehensions rose, and then from March-May they spiked precipitously.

March 2018: 50,296
            March 2017: 16,588

April 2018: 50,924
            April 2017: 15,766

May 2018: 51,912
            May 2017: 19,940

Those 2018 figures fall in line with their average for those months from 2013-2016, but are much higher than the typical average month over those years. Whatever it was that was going on, it led to a massive exodus from Mexico. Was it something there? Did they figure out a way to beat Dumb Donald's system? Who really knows. But this spike presumably led to the April 7th "zero-tolerance" policy change, which has led to this human rights debacle.

Comment

• Trump says "I will be signing something shortly"
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• I Wonder if Neilsen's decision had anything at all with being driven from a Mexican restaurant last night by protestors.

Kirstjen Nielsen, the secretary of homeland security, got an earful while she was eating dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Washington on Tuesday night.

With tensions continuing to escalate over the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” immigration policy that separates children from their families after illegal crossings at the border, a group of protesters confronted her.

“If kids don’t eat in peace, you don’t eat in peace,” the protesters shouted, according to video footage of the encounter that they posted on social media.

The group also led chants of “shame!” One protester took issue with the fact that Ms. Nielsen was enjoying dinner at a Mexican restaurant, “of all places.”
                “If kids don’t eat in peace,” activists shouted at the secretary of homeland security as she ate dinner, “you don’t eat in peace.”

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  I Wonder if Neilsen's decision had anything at all with being driven from a Mexican restaurant last night by protestors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/u...estaurant.html
                  I doubt it, but I sure hope the left remembers these tactics when assholes on the right use them. But then again, the MSM will just label anything from the right like this as nothing more than extremist and nationalistic, white Supremacy and racist.
                  I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I doubt it, but I sure hope the left remembers these tactics when assholes on the right use them. But then again, the MSM will just label anything from the right like this as nothing more than extremist and nationalistic, white Supremacy and racist.
                    Dinner interrupted, the horror!
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Trump caved...

Trump expected to sign executive order ending his administration’s policy of separating migrant families at border, officials say
                      The plan would keep families together in federal immigration custody, potentially violating the 1997 Flores settlement limiting the duration of child detentions.

President Trump had repeatedly defended his immigration crackdown, including forcibly separating migrant children from their parents as they arrive at the border. But images of young children housed in metal cages set off a nationwide outcry that reached the White House.

For days, Trump and his top administration officials were unwilling to unilaterally reverse the separation policy. Trump's inaction sparked international outrage, including criticism from Pope Francis and opposition from world leaders.
                      WaPo Alerts...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        Dinner interrupted, the horror!
                        Was it really just interrupting a dinner? Because its a Sal Alinksy tactic from way back. The problem is that historically conservatives haven’t had the guts or will to use these tactics. But the more this is done the more likely the Liberals will face the same or even more ratcheted up tactics.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

C'mon man...peaceful protest has been around in this nation since before it's inception. If it had even a small part in the Administration backing away from this horrific policy, it's well worth it.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

C'mon man...peaceful protest has been around in this nation since before it's inception. If it had even a small part in the Administration backing away from this horrific policy, it's well worth it.
                            All I am saying is it’s peaceful protest when done by liberals, will it still be considered so benignly so when it’s the extreme right? I am betting not.
                            Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 06-20-2018, 12:16 PM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I doubt Fox or local news would apply such labels to right-wing protests. Or were you talking about other less popular news sources as MSM? Sorry B, I get your point. I just get tickled at how successful right-winged media has been at labeling themselves non-mainstream, even though most local news stations lean right, and Fox is far and away the the most watched of the 24 hour news networks. But somehow they are not mainstream. Oh, and by far the most circulated newspaper in the country, the WSJ, is owned by Murdoch. Number 4 in the nation is the NYP, which is right leaning--tabloid silliness mostly, but right leaning nonetheless. The whole notion that the vast majority of news sources, i.e. "mainstream media" is all leftist propaganda is just an amazing snow job by the right.

Comment

Trump caved...

WaPo Alerts...
                                Interesting you would see it this way, as a loss for Trump, vs acknowledging he finally did the right thing. More importantly, the real loser are the kids here under DACA. There has been no will by either side to cooperate on a resolution to DACA.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X