This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
    We were talking about him praising North Korea, not the other way around. Whether that yields anything remains to be seen, but I think it's fairly obvious his praise for them is strategic, vs. him actually thinking that North Korea's regime is, in fact, suddenly awesome.
    Right. They presumably flattered him during the meeting, and Trump comes out after the meeting saying things like "hey, he's not such a bad guy after all!"

Meanwhile, there's a "special place in hell" for the Canadian PM....

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
      The reaction by the left is comical to me. Amazing Trump wasn’t able to solve the regions problems in that meeting. And the audacity of him talking about downsizing our troops in the region. It’s almost like he’s a 1960s era Anti-Vietnam War Democrat.
      I tend to agree with this. Imagine if Barack Obama had held this meeting with the same basic result. The right/neocons would have gone ballistic, and yes, the left probably would have praised it as an historic step forward. I'm going to choose to be cautiously optimistic and to be thankful that President Trump is pursuing diplomacy and aiming at demilitarization. But I thought Ben Shapiro had a balanced though skeptical take from his heavily right-leaning perspective:

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
        The reaction by the left is comical to me. Amazing Trump wasn’t able to solve the regions problems in that meeting. And the audacity of him talking about downsizing our troops in the region. It’s almost like he’s a 1960s era Anti-Vietnam War Democrat.
        Where do you see this reaction?

The biggest reaction I'm seeing is that Trump has suddenly taken the North's stance that the war games are "provocative" and that he didn't consult with the South Koreans at all before making the statement that he's ending them.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Right. They presumably flattered him during the meeting, and Trump comes out after the meeting saying things like "hey, he's not such a bad guy after all!"

Meanwhile, there's a "special place in hell" for the Canadian PM....
          I don't have the inside information from the meetings that you seem to think you have, so rather than make presumptions about who's tricking who with flattery and praise, I'll be content to withhold my judgments until something substantive happens.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

I don't have the inside information from the meetings that you seem to think you have, so rather than make presumptions about who's tricking who with flattery and praise, I'll be content to withhold my judgments until something substantive happens.
            Ah, so it's OK to be snarky on this, but when you say "He's likely floating the idea as an enticement" where you're presuming, that's fine.

Anyhow, I think we're both on the same side of this, so it's OK to drop it.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              I tend to agree with this. Imagine if Barack Obama had held this meeting with the same basic result. The right/neocons would have gone ballistic, and yes, the left probably would have praised it as an historic step forward. I'm going to choose to be cautiously optimistic and to be thankful that President Trump is pursuing diplomacy and aiming at demilitarization. But I thought Ben Shapiro had a balanced though skeptical take from his heavily right-leaning perspective:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/31740...ke-ben-shapiro
              Just that title was enough to turn me away. I dont see how anyone can already know so much to determine this was a masterstroke or a disaster. I guess everyone has to have a take on this today and wishy washy opinions like mine dont get clicks. There should have been a "To be continued" at the end of this episode. Right now we really dont have a good idea of what will happen next.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                I agree with you. Good start. Better than expected.

But just wait the slamming from the Dems that you described as GOP vs Obama will be here before noon.

It was hard for Repubs to give Obama credit for anything. It is equally hard for Dems to give Trump credit.
                11:51

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  11:51
                  Should have taken the under.

Comment

• You could just backscroll a few posts in here, or just read most any lefty columnist on real clear politics to get the 'Trump got played' narrative. Trudy Rubin on philly.com has an especially shrill hot take on Trumps massive summit failure--i am sure many in here will love it

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Ah, so it's OK to be snarky on this, but when you say "He's likely floating the idea as an enticement" where you're presuming, that's fine.

Anyhow, I think we're both on the same side of this, so it's OK to drop it.
                      Praising a rival prior to and during a negotiation is a rhetorical tactic as old as time. I just find the fevered rush to bury him for doing it amusing.

I'm guessing he didn't consult his military-industrial complex friends before dangling the "troop withdrawal" carrot. I can't imagine the perpetual war machine was pleased to hear that.
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• Well, he didn't fuck it up so no reason to complain. But it is alarming how he is treating our democratically-elected allies in comparison to how he treats dictators.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          But it is alarming how he is treating our democratically-elected allies in comparison to how he treats dictators.
                          Eh, Israel survived it, I'm sure South Korea will, too.

Comment

No, I imagine he'll want something in return before pulling the trigger on significant troop withdrawals. He's likely floating the idea as an enticement.

There's nothing concrete to get excited about yet, but did you really expect there to be after one meeting?
                            I had expected to be some sort of Quid pro Quo from NK, but nothing, because they didn't have to.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• On May 30, Dumb Donald tweeted out that his Big Pharma policy was going to work like crazy, that many major pharmaceutical comapnies were going to cut drug prices massively and voluntarily “within two weeks.”

Today, HHS Secretary Alex Azar told the Senate that drug cuts “were not imminent.”

Of course....

Comment

• And now the US is making Propaganda films...for North Korea. You simply can't make this stuff up, you just can't. Turns out it's nothing more than a shitty real estate ad...

Reporters crowded into a Singapore auditorium Tuesday, expecting President Trump to walk out and announce the results of his historic meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Suddenly, two huge screens on either side of the empty podium came to life. Soaring music boomed over the speakers, and the reporters were bombarded with a montage portraying North Korea as some sort of paradise.

Golden sunrises, gleaming skylines and high-speed trains. Children skipping through Kim Il Sung square in Pyongyang. North Korean flags fluttering between images of Egyptian pyramids, the Taj Mahal and the Lincoln Memorial.

In a split-screen shot, Kim Jong Un waved to an adoring crowd while President Trump stood beside him with his thumb in the air. The pair appeared over and over again, like running mates in a campaign video.

The film went on like this for more than four minutes, with brief interludes of missiles, soldiers and warships interrupting the pageantry. Some journalists, unable to understand the Korean-language narration, assumed they were watching one of Pyongyang's infamous propaganda films. “What country are we in?” asked a reporter from the filing center.

But then the video looped, playing this time in English. And then Trump walked onto the stage and confirmed what some had already realized.

The film was not North Korean propaganda. It had been made in America, by or on the orders of his White House, for the benefit of Kim.

“I hope you liked it,” Trump told the reporters. “I thought it was good. I thought it was interesting enough to show. ... And I think he loved it.”

The crowd sounded skeptical. Some wondered if Trump had not, in fact, just provided U.S.-sanctioned propaganda to one of the country's oldest adversaries.

But as the president explained it, the video was more like an elevator pitch. It was the type of glitzy production that Trump might have once used to persuade investors to finance his hotels, and now hoped could persuade one of the most repressive regimes in the world to disarm its nuclear weapons and end nearly 70 years of international isolation and militant hostility to the United States.

The nearly five-minute movie even had its own Hollywood-style vanity logo: “A Destiny Pictures Production,” though a film company by the same name in Los Angeles denied any involvement in making it, and the White House has not yet responded to questions about it.

[‘Pretty historical’: Dennis Rodman reminds us of his effort to broker peace with North Korea]

“Of those alive today, only a small number will leave a lasting impact,” the narrator said near the beginning, as alternating shots of Trump, Kim and North Korean pageantry flashed on the screen. “And only a very few will make decisions or take actions to renew their homeland, or change the course of history.”

The message was clear: Kim had a decision to make. Then the film progressed from grim black-and-white shots of the United States' 1950s-era war with North Korea into a montage of rose-colored parades and gold-tinted clouds.

“The past doesn't have to be the future,” the narrator said. “What if a people that share a common and rich heritage can find a common future?”

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X