This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    So I don't see how yesterday's summit was a negative in any way. It was positive, and we have much more cause for optimism regarding North Korea than we did a year ago when the leaders were exchanging nuclear threats and insults. But it's clearly only a very tip-of-the-iceberg thing. An agreement to continue working together in good faith toward peace and denuclearization, but no firm commitments to specific, measurable, time-bound action (except presumably the US promise to cease military exercises on the Korean peninsula). I feel like if President Obama had held the exact same summit and signed the exact same commitment that the GOP would be slamming him for that concession and for the embrace of Kim's legitimacy with no specific measurable concessions from the DPRK. But I'll give Trump a positive diplomacy stamp of approval contingent on sustained momentum toward a more comprehensive future agreement with specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound commitments.
    I agree with you. Good start. Better than expected.

But just wait the slamming from the Dems that you described as GOP vs Obama will be here before noon.

It was hard for Repubs to give Obama credit for anything. It is equally hard for Dems to give Trump credit.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      So I don't see how yesterday's summit was a negative in any way. It was positive, and we have much more cause for optimism regarding North Korea than we did a year ago when the leaders were exchanging nuclear threats and insults. But it's clearly only a very tip-of-the-iceberg thing. An agreement to continue working together in good faith toward peace and denuclearization, but no firm commitments to specific, measurable, time-bound action (except presumably the US promise to cease military exercises on the Korean peninsula). I feel like if President Obama had held the exact same summit and signed the exact same commitment that the GOP would be slamming him for that concession and for the embrace of Kim's legitimacy with no specific measurable concessions from the DPRK. But I'll give Trump a positive diplomacy stamp of approval contingent on sustained momentum toward a more comprehensive future agreement with specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound commitments.
      It was a very positive first step, but very little actually happened. Maybe it should be viewed as a first date and since neither side nuked the other, it was a good first date. I dont think we gave up much at all. We can restart those military exercises almost immediately if needed.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Trump wants praise, not peace.

He ends the Iran deal which was far more restrictive than this one... he attacks the US allies and praises their adversaries... why? So he can show his campaign promise, that Trump is the only one who can fix things... not Obama, not the Canadians, only Trump.

I'm happy Trump is getting bent over in the deal. That's what the US deserves right now. I'm also happy about ending the military exercises, but Trump was willing to give up anything to receive his praise... now the narrative will be "this is the greatest deal in history and the Dems are just sad Obama couldn't get it done" and Trump supporters will climax over it. Pathetic sequence of predictable (un)presidential actions.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Let's not get too carried away on what a wonderful thing that Trump did...

- South Korea is already questioning some of Trump's promises.

- There was no talk about human rights.

- US unilaterally decided to end military exercises, got nothing in return.

- US said it wishes to down down US troops in the region...got nothing in return.

- Kim made NO claim to any sort of verifiable, complete, or irreversible denuclearization.

In other words, the US got exactly nothing out of the meeting...nothing.

Oh yeah, looks like tomorrow is going to be the one year anniversary of Otto Warmbier being returned from NK in an irreversible coma...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Let's not get too carried away on what a wonderful thing that Trump did...

- South Korea is already questioning some of Trump's promises.

- There was no talk about human rights.

- US unilaterally decided to end military exercises, got nothing in return.

- US said it wishes to down down US troops in the region...got nothing in return.

- Kim made NO claim to any sort of verifiable, complete, or irreversible denuclearization.

In other words, the US got exactly nothing out of the meeting...nothing.

Oh yeah, looks like tomorrow is going to be the one year anniversary of Otto Warmbier being returned from NK in an irreversible coma...
            The return of tens of thousands of soldiers needlessly encamped on foreign soil for decades isn't nothing to me. I'll gladly give him credit if he can follow through and make it happen.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• South Korea appears to have been taken completely by surprise that the joint exercises will end. I guess that's what happens when you have a president who foregoes "preparation" and just starts winging it.

The return of tens of thousands of soldiers needlessly encamped on foreign soil for decades isn't nothing to me. I'll gladly give him credit if he can follow through and make it happen.
              He followed that up by saying "....but that's not part of the equation right now."

Comment

• He followed that up by saying "....but that's not part of the equation right now."
                No, I imagine he'll want something in return before pulling the trigger on significant troop withdrawals. He's likely floating the idea as an enticement.

There's nothing concrete to get excited about yet, but did you really expect there to be after one meeting?
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                  No, I imagine he'll want something in return before pulling the trigger on significant troop withdrawals. He's likely floating the idea as an enticement.

There's nothing concrete to get excited about yet, but did you really expect there to be after one meeting?
                  No, but he's continuing this disturbing trend of praising our enemies and throwing our allies under the bus.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    No, but he's continuing this disturbing trend of praising our enemies and throwing our allies under the bus.
                    And you don't think that praise might be strategic, perhaps?

He's obviously no globalist sophisticate. Then again, how many soldiers have our globalist sophisticates brought back from South Korea in recent decades?

I just found the partisan poo poo-ing after one round of meetings to be funny. Carry on.

Comment

I just found the partisan poo poo-ing after one round of meetings to be funny. Carry on.
                      You expected something else?
                      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                        You expected something else?
                        Sports Bar political posters are more predictable than pre-awakened Westworld hosts...

Comment

And you don't think that praise might be strategic, perhaps?

He's obviously no globalist sophisticate. Then again, how many soldiers have our globalist sophisticates brought back from South Korea in recent decades?

No. It is widely known that he routinely falls victim to being flattered. There's almost certainly nothing strategic about it (from our side -- certainly from their side).

Comment

• The reaction by the left is comical to me. Amazing Trump wasn’t able to solve the regions problems in that meeting. And the audacity of him talking about downsizing our troops in the region. It’s almost like he’s a 1960s era Anti-Vietnam War Democrat.

Comment

Sports Bar political posters are more predictable than pre-awakened Westworld hosts...
                              Poo.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                No. It is widely known that he routinely falls victim to being flattered. There's almost certainly nothing strategic about it (from our side -- certainly from their side).
                                We were talking about him praising North Korea, not the other way around. Whether that yields anything remains to be seen, but I think it's fairly obvious his praise for them is strategic, vs. him actually thinking that North Korea's regime is, in fact, suddenly awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X