This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    Don't you have to be convicted of a crime in order to be pardoned of one? Just asking for a friend...
    Apparently, you can pardon before conviction and even before charges. You can pardon any time after the commission of the act for which you may be charged and prosecuted.

With six months to go before President Bush leaves office, the White House is receiving a flurry of pardon applications. The New York Times reported...

Comment

• In BFly's link there was a link to another article on Slate. This one talks about about can President Clinton pardon himself. It says "Since the Constitution makes it clear that avoiding conflicts-of-interest is important, it makes sense to assume that the Constitution never meant to allow the president to pardon himself." but sets up other arguments that someone (like president in the year 2018) could actually use to say they can issue themselves a pardon.

President Clinton promised this month not to pardon himself. It's surprising to see Clinton voluntarily relinquish a legal weapon, but even more...

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        Apparently, you can pardon before conviction and even before charges. You can pardon any time after the commission of the act for which you may be charged and prosecuted.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...l_pardons.html
        I'm surprised this is a question. It's an element to several historical stories. Consider James Bond's license to kill. The concept did not exist in a vacuum.

As a legal matter, it appears to be the basis for the Trump team's claim of a right to kill an investigation. We know that GHW Bush told the FBI to drop the investigation of Casper Weinberger, because the President was pardoning him. With no crime, a criminal investigation becomes unconstitutional.

J
        Last edited by onejayhawk; 06-05-2018, 12:09 PM.
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          I'm surprised this is a question. It's an element to several historical stories. Consider James Bond's license to kill. The concept did not exist in a vacuum.

As a legal matter, it appears to be the basis for the Trump team's claim of a right to kill an investigation. We know that GHW Bush told the FBI to drop the investigation of Casper Weinberger, because the President was pardoning him. With no crime, a criminal investigation becomes unconstitutional.

J
          The one thing he can't do is prevent an impeachment proceeding in the House or a subsequent trial in the Senate, which is why he's not likely to pardon himself or his inner circle/family members before and unless he absolutely "has to", because impeachment remains the ultimate constitutional check-and-balance against a President's abuse of power.

Comment

The one thing he can't do is prevent an impeachment proceeding in the House or a subsequent trial in the Senate, which is why he's not likely to pardon himself or his inner circle/family members before and unless he absolutely "has to", because impeachment remains the ultimate constitutional check-and-balance against a President's abuse of power.

Trying to post a “Cousin Eddie .gif” of Bingo! He would be ending his own Presidency.
            I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              World Championship Level Trolling:

everyone knows, especially kids that the bigger the container or envelope the better the present!

the North Korean guy is almost smiling while looking slightly worried hoping none of the other 200 countries in the world have caught on to the rouse. make you wonder how many other giant envelope presents are floating around out there. heh

NPRK is like wonderland, everything is oversized, even their thankyou cards!

Comment

• it says something when North Korea is worried that you're more unstable than they are.

Comment

• i'll be honest, i'd rather have Trump as president than Pence. either one will create just as much strife. sure i don't really appreciate how Donald makes fun of people, but im not sure i really care about a trade war.

the way i figure it, the have nots can't really afford anything anyways, so why not make the rich people have to pay more for their stuff. voodoo economics doesn't work anyways so fuck it.

Comment

• Dennis Rodman will be at President Trump’s summit with the North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un in Singapore next week. What's next? Will they make it available on pay per view?
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Exactly. One and only one.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Let me get this straight -- the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES just angrily said to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's face that his country is considered a threat to the security of the United States because of the WAR OF 1812????

Not only did Canada NOT burn down the White House like he accused them of, but this war was TWO HUNDRED AND SIX years ago.

To our Canadian friends on this board, let me be the first to apologize for the utter stupidity of our elected leader.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Let me get this straight -- the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES just angrily said to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's face that his country is considered a threat to the security of the United States because of the WAR OF 1812????

Not only did Canada NOT burn down the White House like he accused them of, but this war was TWO HUNDRED AND SIX years ago.

To our Canadian friends on this board, let me be the first to apologize for the utter stupidity of our elected leader.
                          wasnt Canada part of the UK back then?
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Let me get this straight -- the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES just angrily said to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's face that his country is considered a threat to the security of the United States because of the WAR OF 1812????

CNN, not exactly a mouthpiece for the Trump Administration, reports he ‘quipped’ the remark that has you so agitated.
                            President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had a testy phone call on May 25 over new tariffs imposed by the Trump administration targeting steel and aluminum imports coming from Canada, including one moment during the conversation in which Trump made an erroneous historical reference, sources familiar with the discussion told CNN.

Actually a pretty good line.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                              CNN, not exactly a mouthpiece for the Trump Administration, reports he ‘quipped’ the remark that has you so agitated.
                              President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had a testy phone call on May 25 over new tariffs imposed by the Trump administration targeting steel and aluminum imports coming from Canada, including one moment during the conversation in which Trump made an erroneous historical reference, sources familiar with the discussion told CNN.

Actually a pretty good line.
                              It's likely Dumb Donald even knew there was a War of 1812 (he probably read some Stephen Miller talking point). You’re giving him way too much credit as a historian. But if he did somehow crack that as a joke, it was pretty good -- surprising even. But if so, it just goes to show you how much of a joke his tariffs, claiming “National Security,” are.

Originally posted by cardboardbox
                              wasnt Canada part of the UK back then?
                              Ummm, yes. It was a British territory and not yet a country. Your point is....?

Comment

... To our Canadian friends on this board, let me be the first to apologize for the utter stupidity of our elected leader.
                                don't start with that, you could get very busy apologizing to everyone ... for example ...

A State Department spokeswoman has been ridiculed for citing the D-Day invasion as an example of America’s “very strong relationship” with Germany.

“We have a very strong relationship with the government of Germany,” Heather Nauert said.

“Looking back in the history books, today is the 71st anniversary of the speech that announced the Marshall Plan. Tomorrow is the anniversary of the D-Day invasion. We obviously have a very long history with the government of Germany, and we have a strong relationship with the government of Germany.”
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X