This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hi.I'm.Mandy View Post
    I used to worry that Trump was a Russian puppet or strongman/dictator, racist and warmonger...now I'm relieved that he is the childish, petty narcissist that i always thought he was
    Ding, ding, ding......we have a winner

Comment

• ICE has now ripped away 1,475 migrant children from their families. What a disgusting and inhumane policy.

I can't even find the words for how disgusting this is.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• So I wasn't fully informed, and it's even worse than I was thinking... there's way more than 1500 kids that have been ripped from their families. It's actually 1500 that are completely "lost"... unaccounted for. Sounds a lot like what John Kelly said would happen. "They'll be placed into foster care - or whatever."

Please nobody take offense to this statement, but I see your country's present state as an embarrassment to humanity. It's making me doubt the intelligence and future of the human race. What a horrible collection of idiots all of humanity really is. Sad!
        Last edited by Teenwolf; 05-26-2018, 10:50 PM.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
          ICE has now ripped away 1,475 migrant children from their families. What a disgusting and inhumane policy.

Of the many things Trump does that gets a lot of current negative attention, I'm suspect this is one of the things that doesn't get as much attention that history will judge him harshest for.

DeVos just said a couple of days ago that it is in keeping with our laws for schools to call ICE on students, seemingly ignoring the SC decision in Plyler vs Doe. If that starts to happen, these numbers are going to go way up.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-26-2018, 07:12 AM.

Comment

ICE has now ripped away 1,475 migrant children from their families. What a disgusting and inhumane policy.

History will judge these people most harshly, harsher than the rest of the world does now. Jeff Greenfield a brilliant commentator, had a really interesting take on how social media dilutes these myriad scandals and atrocities that the Trump administration has going on a daily basis. His take was that if this had happened back in the days of the big 3 networks with their nightly newscast, the country would be horrified at how these [people are ripping children from their parents. As it is now, it's just nothing more than another horrible thing that Trump and Co. do.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Who’s going to give back the young and beautiful lives (and others) that have been devastated and destroyed by the phony Russia Collusion Witch Hunt? They journeyed down to Washington, D.C., with stars in their eyes and wanting to help our nation...They went back home in tatters!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1000718611688943616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 27, 2018</a></blockquote>
              <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bwahahahahahahahahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Who’s going to give back the young and beautiful lives (and others) that have been devastated and destroyed by the phony Russia Collusion Witch Hunt? They journeyed down to Washington, D.C., with stars in their eyes and wanting to help our nation...They went back home in tatters!</p>— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1000718611688943616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 27, 2018</a></blockquote>
                <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bwahahahahahahahahaha
                I just can't even...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• The best theory I've heard is that Donald Jr got some bad news today.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

There seems to be a lot of outrage, like teenwolf expresses here, about the Trump admin breaking up families that attempt to cross the border. Though this isn’t exactly what teenwolf is saying, while that may be true (the breaking of families), the missing “1,500” children were not a part of that. And, while it’s still troubling, no doubt, ICE has NOT “ripped away 1,475 migrant children from their families.” These children showed up alone at the border. This seemingly has become an amalgamation of at least two different stories, and maybe more, that have been conflated by the left into a truth. According to the NYT story from Saturday:

The children were taken into government care after they showed up alone at the Southwest border. Most of the children are from Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala, and were fleeing drug cartels, gang violence and domestic abuse, government data shows.

From last October to the end of the year, officials at the agency’s Office of Refugee Resettlement tried to reach 7,635 children and their sponsors, Mr. Wagner testified. From these calls, officials learned that 6,075 children remained with their sponsors. Twenty-eight had run away, five had been removed from the United States and 52 had relocated to live with a nonsponsor.

But officials at the agency were unable to determine with certainty the whereabouts of 1,475 children, Mr. Wagner said.

The new details come as Congress is examining safeguards put in place by the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Homeland Security to make sure children who show up alone at the border are turned over to relatives, and not human traffickers.
                    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/u...n-missing.html

In fact, this story includes findings dating to the prior administration.

Two years ago the subcommittee released a report detailing how health and human services officials placed eight children with human traffickers who forced the minors to work on an egg farm in Marion, Ohio. The report found that department officials had failed to establish procedures to protect the unaccompanied minors, such as conducting sufficient background checks on potential sponsors and following up with sponsors. As a result, the children were turned over to the people who contracted them out to the egg farm.
                    Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 05-28-2018, 09:50 AM.
                    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                      There seems to be a lot of outrage, like teenwolf expresses here, about the Trump admin breaking up families that attempt to cross the border. Though this isn’t exactly what teenwolf is saying, while that may be true (the breaking of families), the missing “1,500” children were not a part of that. And, while it’s still troubling, no doubt, ICE has NOT “ripped away 1,475 migrant children from their families.” These children showed up alone at the border. This seemingly has become an amalgamation of at least two different stories, and maybe more, that have been conflated by the left into a truth. According to the NYT story from Saturday:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/u...n-missing.html

In fact, this story includes findings dating to the prior administration.
                      The bottom line is still relatively simple, HHS, HAS lost track of almost 1500 children, that's a fact, and now this same agency is being tasked to perform a new one with taking care of children separated from their parents at the border.

Yes, the stories have become somewhat conflated...this is social media, and what it does.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        The bottom line is still relatively simple, HHS, HAS lost track of almost 1500 children, that's a fact, and now this same agency is being tasked to perform a new one with taking care of children separated from their parents at the border.

Yes, the stories have become somewhat conflated...this is social media, and what it does.

And, some experts would tell you that losing track of some isn’t necessarily a bad thing given that the vast majority were released to family members already in the US or people to whom they had a pre-existing relationship. The less these children can be tracked the less likely they are to be returned home. But, the more likely they are trafficked potentially. Most of the “lost” maybe looking to stay lost because then they are not going to court for deportation hearings. But, I agree, it seems that, particularly on social media, the left is pinning it all in Trump, which is wrong. Obama and his administration get to share in this, unfortunately. It’s probably a practice from even prior to Obama. Is Sessions doing the right thing, probably not, but what’s the alternative? It’s a can’t win situation. You could just let everyone in, you could not let anyone with kids cross the border or throw the kids in the same holding cell as the parents. Considering these are most typically people coming from terrible places, sending them back into Mexico doesn’t seem wise as your sending them to Mexican prisons after the US sends them back isn’t much better than sending home. There are really no good choices in my opinion.
                        Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 05-28-2018, 02:30 PM.
                        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• regardless which of these difficult choices is taken, and I agree they are difficult, surely separating young children from their parent/mother shouldn't be the standard operating procedure
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                            And, some experts would tell you that losing track of some isn’t necessarily a bad thing given that the vast majority were released to family members already in the US or people to whom they had a pre-existing relationship. The less these children can be tracked the less likely they are to be returned home. But, the more likely they are trafficked potentially. Most of the “lost” maybe looking to stay lost because then they are not going to court for deportation hearings. But, I agree, it seems that, particularly on social media, the left is pinning it all in Trump, which is wrong. Obama and his administration get to share in this, unfortunately. It’s probably a practice from even prior to Obama. Is Sessions doing the right thing, probably not, but what’s the alternative? It’s a can’t win situation. You could just let everyone in, you could not let anyone with kids cross the border or throw the kids in the same holding cell as the parents. Considering these are most typically people coming from terrible places, sending them back into Mexico doesn’t seem wise as your sending them to Mexican prisons after the US sends them back isn’t much better than sending home. There are really no good choices in my opinion.
                            One of the big things that ALL people are getting confused about is where the II's (I'm going to use that acronym for Illegal immigrants) are actually coming from. recently, Mexican's accounted for less than half of the II's entering the country.

Mexicans may no longer be the majority of U.S. unauthorized immigrants. They made up half of all unauthorized immigrants in 2016, according to the Center’s preliminary estimate, marking the first time in at least a decade that they did not account for a clear majority of this population. Their numbers (and share of the total) have been declining in recent years: There were 5.6 million Mexican unauthorized immigrants living in the U.S. in 2015 and 2016, down from 6.4 million in 2009.

Meanwhile, the number of unauthorized immigrants from nations other than Mexico has grown since 2009, from 5 million that year to 5.4 million in 2015. Non-Mexicans numbered 5.7 million in the preliminary 2016 estimate, a total that was not statistically different from 2015.

From 2009 to 2015, the number of unauthorized immigrants from Asia and Central America rose. Increases in the number from other countries have mostly offset the decline in the number from Mexico (and a relatively small decrease in the number from South America).
                            There were 10.5 million unauthorized immigrants in the U.S. in 2017. The number of Mexican unauthorized immigrants declined since 2007.

I can't agree that it's a good thing that we can't find the missing children is maybe a good thing. To me it shows just how flawed the system really is.

And while the Obama admin did indeed lose 8 children that were later found working as farm labor, this seperating children from their parents is all on Trump and Sessions...they own this atrocity. Hell that publicly announced what they were gong to do, and Kelly had NO idea where they were going to put the kids. Remember "foster care or whatever"?

We'll agree to disagree on the share of blame for this one...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ch...ntration-camp/
                              that is Snopes explaining that the internet viral "kid's concentration camp" photo was taken in 2014.

it then cites the relevant Arizona Republic that accompanied the photo, and gives two sides of the issue.

wait, so why am I even posting it?

it concludes:

"Debate continues about how undocumented migrant children who come to the U.S. (whether alone or with their parents) should be dealt with, and where and how they should be housed until their status has been resolved. No approach is likely to satisfy critics at both ends of the political spectrum."
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                                https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ch...ntration-camp/
                                that is Snopes explaining that the internet viral "kid's concentration camp" photo was taken in 2014.

it then cites the relevant Arizona Republic that accompanied the photo, and gives two sides of the issue.

wait, so why am I even posting it?

it concludes:

"Debate continues about how undocumented migrant children who come to the U.S. (whether alone or with their parents) should be dealt with, and where and how they should be housed until their status has been resolved. No approach is likely to satisfy critics at both ends of the political spectrum."
                                Some other quotes directly from your link:

But they are still children in cages, not gangsters, not delinquents. Just children, 900 of them, in a makeshift border-town processing center that is larger than a football field. They pass the day sitting on benches or lying side by side on tiny blue mattresses pressed up against each other on nearly every square inch of the floor in the fenced areas.

But most of the children lie motionless on side-by-side mattresses with looks of intense boredom on their faces. Inevitably, given the number of people, it smells of feet and sweat and straw, giving it the look and feel of the livestock areas at the State Fair.

Still, in 2016 the conditions of similar detention facilities were being described as “deplorable”:

Apparently it's political to find this treatment of children unacceptable. Enjoy your perch above the fray.
                                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X