This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
    I think it will still happen, maybe at a later date.
    Hopefully in 2021 or later.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      That made me laugh. I don’t disagree.
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        I'd rather Trump do it now rather than in his second term.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Donald Trump wins the Nobel Peace Prize still reads like an Onion story, but now the concept is out there. I have always thought Trump would decline to run again. Hence, they will do this before then. More than anything, this is about saving face for NK and Kim-jong Un.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
            I’m not sure many people were highly confident that the summit would even occur. In fact, others on the left were criticizing it for even potentially happening. I’m not sure it’s a debacle, either, as these things seemingly go this way often, just not as publicly. That’s the Trump factor. And, I don’t think the Libya model is as bad of a model to follow but I do agree that maybe that shouldn’t be held up as the plan at this point given what the ultimate result was to Qaddafi. Bolton was one of the architects of that plan in the Bush admin. Were it not for Arab Spring, which wasn’t specific to Libya, at least in the beginning, the plan worked and it really didn’t matter that he didn’t have nukes, but thankfully he didn’t. Obama joined European leaders in getting involved when Qaddafi started losing his mind and threatening to kill large numbers of his own people. Obama was right to get involved, but that taints the Libyan model.
            If you want this thing to happen, and it is clear Trump did, then you just don' t continually bring up how you want this to be like it was with some other despot that ended up ousted and killed. I don't care how great the model was before that happened, that is the bit the paranoid dictator is going to focus on. Even if that is what we wanted, Libya should have been a taboo word in these talks. Then Trump overcompensated, and said stuff like, you will be totally safe, don't worry! It made me think of that scene in Goodfellas with De Niro trying to get Bracco's character down that alley and her getting spooked and running off.

Speaking of De Niro, I just read he banned Trump from his restaurants. That is a first, I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
              I'd rather Trump do it now rather than in his second term.
              Good one CCB--that one made me quickly move from chuckle to sad face, as I realized it may not end up being a joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Good one CCB--that one made me quickly move from chuckle to sad face, as I realized it may not end up being a joke.
                If you want sad face, you can consider the clown car the Democrats will be using in 2020. Or, consider that Pence or Cruz stand behind Trump, waiting for a chance.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  If you want sad face, you can consider the clown car the Democrats will be using in 2020. Or, consider that Pence or Cruz stand behind Trump, waiting for a chance.

J
                  CBB's post was comedic, so softened the blow. Yours is just cruel!

I think it is interesting that you think you know who will be in the running in 2020 for the Dems, or is it that any Dems are clown car material?
                  Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-24-2018, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I think it is interesting that you think you know who will be in the running in 2020 for the Dems, or is it that any Dems are clown car material?
                    sourmasher don't fall for it and get into a discussion with onejay - his logic will never make sense to you

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                      sourmasher don't fall for it and get into a discussion with onejay - his logic will never make sense to you
                      Oh, I know. Just trying to keep the thread light...well, as light as a thread about Trump can be.

In that spirit, kudos to Trump for pardoning Jack Johnson. A century too late, but still nice symbolically. Regardless of his motives, it was nice that it got done. Trump would have been the last president I'd have thought would do it. This doesn't erase who he is, what he has said and done, of course. But, again it was good it got done.

Edit: I just read that one reason a pardon didn't occur under Obama was a history of alleged domestic violence. I did not know that when making my original comment, which I've chosen to leave, but wanted to amend with this information. It might make for interesting discussion--is a pardon worthy for a man wronged by a law used for racists ends, even if he displayed abhorrent behavior in other aspects of his life unrelated to that crime? Technically, Johnson was guilty of violating the Mann act, since he did transport a prostitute across state lines for "immoral purposes," but my understanding of the law and time period is that he only got convicted because she was white and he was black. Like some laws today, it was unfairly enforced based on race. Maybe the lawyers among us can shed more light on the subject.

It was also petty that Trump seemed to repeatedly highlight to all involved that he was doing this while Obama did not. It was to the point that one wonders if that was the primary motivator for him doing it. But that is typical of Trump, so does that detract from the deed?
                      Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-24-2018, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Oh, I know. Just trying to keep the thread light...well, as light as a thread about Trump can be.

In that spirit, kudos to Trump for pardoning Jack Johnson. A century too late, but still nice symbolically. Regardless of his motives, it was nice that it got done. Trump would have been the last president I'd have thought would do it. This doesn't erase who he is, what he has said and done, of course. But, again it was good it got done.

Edit: I just read that one reason a pardon didn't occur under Obama was a history of alleged domestic violence. I did not know that when making my original comment, which I've chosen to leave, but wanted to amend with this information. It might make for interesting discussion--is a pardon worthy for a man wronged by a law used for racists ends, even if he displayed abhorrent behavior in other aspects of his life unrelated to that crime? Technically, Johnson was guilty of violating the Mann act, since he did transport a prostitute across state lines for "immoral purposes," but my understanding of the law and time period is that he only got convicted because she was white and he was black. Like some laws today, it was unfairly enforced based on race. Maybe the lawyers among us can shed more light on the subject.

It was also petty that Trump seemed to repeatedly highlight to all involved that he was doing this while Obama did not. It was to the point that one wonders if that was the primary motivator for him doing it. But that is typical of Trump, so does that detract from the deed?
                        I am just a dummy, but you guys overthink this Trump stuff
                        --------------------------------------
                        You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hi.I'm.Mandy View Post
                          I am just a dummy, but you guys overthink this Trump stuff
                          LOL. That was funny.
                          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                            LOL. That was funny.
                            I used to worry that Trump was a Russian puppet or strongman/dictator, racist and warmonger...now I'm relieved that he is the childish, petty narcissist that i always thought he was
                            --------------------------------------
                            You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hi.I'm.Mandy View Post
                              I used to worry that Trump was a Russian puppet or strongman/dictator, racist and warmonger...now I'm relieved that he is the childish, petty narcissist that i always thought he was
                              He’s all that and a bag of (cow) chips.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Clowncar refers to lots of people in a tiny car. So, the whole field of candidates, from either party. The number of being floated is large. In 2016, the Republicans had 17 at one point.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                                X