This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
    I’m not sure. Ask the one guy and his family if it’s a negative. But, I do understand what you’re saying. So the real question is would you (or anyone) give him any credit for this Had he not said something stupid about all three being from the previous administration?
    Give him credit? It's VERY likely that NK released these men shortly before the proposed meeting as an olive branch. While this is a great thing for all 3 men, and for their families, I doubt that any negotiating by the Trump administration had much to do with it. But if it makes people happy, sure, he can have full credit for it.

BTW, the North Koreans have been studying the history of the US negotiators for months now, going over every meeting, exchange, and potential treaty between the two countries. While I have no doubt that what's left of the US diplomatic corps is doing the same, the new Secretary of State called Kim Jong Un, Chairman Un...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      You do realize that 10 Americans were freed from North Korean prisons under the Obama Administration, right? So no need to ask that one guy. I'm sure they tried. See, another negative here.

Sure, they deserved credit, but that got lost (to me) when he blatantly lied about Obama to brainwash his base. Sorry.
      I don't believe I accused Obama of doing nothing nor did I say he didn't get guys out. I was merely stirring the pot (yes, I'll admit it) because seemingly the only things posted in this thread are negatives about Trump. I'm no fan, but I'm willing to give him his due, on occasion, and even if its in a "blind squirrel finds a acorn once in while" or "even a broken clock is right twice a day" kinda way. Trump's purported "shitty" diplomacy, as it is directly or indirectly referred to by the Trump hating crowd, apparently got something positive done.
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Give him credit? It's VERY likely that NK released these men shortly before the proposed meeting as an olive branch. While this is a great thing for all 3 men, and for their families, I doubt that any negotiating by the Trump administration had much to do with it. But if it makes people happy, sure, he can have full credit for it.

BTW, the North Koreans have been studying the history of the US negotiators for months now, going over every meeting, exchange, and potential treaty between the two countries. While I have no doubt that what's left of the US diplomatic corps is doing the same, the new Secretary of State called Kim Jong Un, Chairman Un...
        And Kim Jung Un called Trump a dotard and everyone in the US went looking for a dictionary!
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

And Kim Jung Un called Trump a dotard and everyone in the US went looking for a dictionary!
          Turns out he taught 98% of the US population a new word...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Turns out he taught 98% of the US population a new word...
            Back in the late 1970s an old friend told me something that has stuck with me ever since. He said that once Al Gore is done creating the interwebs to be aware that 87% of all statistics quoted in chat rooms and on message boards will just be made up. I’ll never forget old what’s his name. Never.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Back in the late 1970s an old friend told me something that has stuck with me ever since. He said that once Al Gore is done creating the interwebs to be aware that 87% of all statistics quoted in chat rooms and on message boards will just be made up. I’ll never forget old what’s his name. Never.
              Only 87%?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Only 87%?
                But you let the “late 1970s” and “interwebs” pass? You are slipping my friend.

And just for the record, I had to look up Dotard! I’m not proud of it but it’s probably due to my lack of an Ivy Education.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

But you let the “late 1970s” and “interwebs” pass? You are slipping my friend.

And just for the record, I had to look up Dotard! I’m not proud of it but it’s probably due to my lack of an Ivy Education.
                  It's always been the tubes of the interwebs, and they've been around since the late 1860's...ask Mabel on Andy Griffith.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• I didn't need to look it up. Scrabble turns out to be good for something.

Pompeo comes home with the three detainees and slips in a quip about not needing a pallet of money.

The Nobel committee will never give DJ Trump an award, but is one coming for Kim Jong Un?

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I don't believe I accused Obama of doing nothing nor did I say he didn't get guys out. I was merely stirring the pot (yes, I'll admit it) because seemingly the only things posted in this thread are negatives about Trump. I'm no fan, but I'm willing to give him his due, on occasion, and even if its in a "blind squirrel finds a acorn once in while" or "even a broken clock is right twice a day" kinda way. Trump's purported "shitty" diplomacy, as it is directly or indirectly referred to by the Trump hating crowd, apparently got something positive done.
                      The problem with giving Trump his due is that he constantly makes shit up and lies all the time. So when are we supposed to believe him?
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        The problem with giving Trump his due is that he constantly makes shit up and lies all the time. So when are we supposed to believe him?
                        To your point...remember when it was reported that Trump dictated his own medical report to his Doctor in 2015? Seems like months ago, it was actually less than 2 weeks ago. I'm tired...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                          I didn't need to look it up. Scrabble turns out to be good for something.

Pompeo comes home with the three detainees and slips in a quip about not needing a pallet of money.

The Nobel committee will never give DJ Trump an award, but is one coming for Kim Jong Un?

J
                          Actually, Moon Jae-In may be the one who deserves it most of all.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Actually, Moon Jae-In may be the one who deserves it most of all.
                            Maybe, but even the New York Times is raising the possibility. Frankly, it's comic relief, like an Onion story but in the Times.
                            The likelihood of Mr. Trump receiving a Nobel Peace Prize for his diplomatic efforts once seemed far-fetched. But as talks with North and South Korea progress, supporters see merit in the idea.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Did I just wake up from a coma? When did John Kerry become President-elect or get re-appointed as Sec of State? And, if this were someone from Trump’s President-elect team, we’d be pretty upset about this, wouldn’t we? In fact, we’d probably start an investigation or something. All smarminess aside, and I don’t know if he is getting anything of any value or compensation (he’s rich) or if this is just shadow (or is it shadowy) diplomacy, but is everyone really good with this? As the article mentions he seemed pretty upset when GOP congress members wrote an open letter stating they were not supportive of the accord he was negotiating when he was negotiating it.

It’s an OP Ed from the Washington Post but it sums up what I’ve been thinking since hearing this in the last several days:
                              Democrats routinely express outrage over claims of collusion with a foreign power to undermine our democracy. So where is the outrage over revelations that former secretary of state John Kerry held not one but two secret meetings with Iran’s foreign minister to strategize over how to undermine President Trump’s plans to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal?

An Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman confirmed the meetings after the Boston Globe broke the news, declaring , “We don’t see the U.S. just as Mr. Trump; the United States is not just the current ruling administration.” Think about what this means. Iran is a terrorist state responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Americans in Iraq, whose leaders hold rallies where thousands chant “Death to America!” Kerry was working with a sworn enemy of the United States to try to undermine the foreign policy of the elected president of the United States.
                              Kerry’s defenders compare him to Henry Kissinger and other former secretaries of state who regularly meet with world leaders. “Secretary Kerry stays in touch with his former counterparts around the world, just like every previous Secretary of State,” a Kerry spokesman said. But Kissinger does not conduct rogue diplomacy. When he meets with foreign leaders, he usually coordinates with the White House, often carrying messages for the president, and then briefs administration officials afterward. Kerry did none of this.
                              ‪ https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/wheres-the-outrage-over-kerrys-secret-meetings-on-the-iran-deal/2018/05/11/0022ff18-546e-11e8-a551-5b648abe29ef_story.html‬
                              Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 05-12-2018, 09:30 AM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Did I just wake up from a coma? When did John Kerry become President-elect or get re-appointed as Sec of State? And, if this were someone from Trump’s President-elect team, we’d be pretty upset about this, wouldn’t we? In fact, we’d probably start an investigation or something. All smarminess aside, and I don’t know if he is getting anything of any value or compensation (he’s rich) or if this is just shadow (or is it shadowy) diplomacy, but is everyone really good with this? As the article mentions he seemed pretty upset when GOP congress members wrote an open letter stating they were not supportive of the accord he was negotiating when he was negotiating it.

It’s an OP Ed from the Washington Post but it sums up what I’ve been thinking since hearing this in the last several days:

‪ https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/wheres-the-outrage-over-kerrys-secret-meetings-on-the-iran-deal/2018/05/11/0022ff18-546e-11e8-a551-5b648abe29ef_story.html‬
                                Yeah, this kind of thing is not acceptable at all...you can publicly denounce the action by Trump, lay out the reasons that you think that it's wrong, and even keep close contract with your former peers. But rouge "diplomacy" should be denounced in a situation like this...not cool.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X