This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
    Boom! Right there! That bolded last sentence is exactly what should outrage everyone, regardless of tribe or party lines. It is truth. On this I agree with you. None of these elected people are truly motivated because it doesn’t effect them although they all play a good game.
    I don't understand why this is truth. The Democrats actually passed a bill that led to tens of millions more people having health insurance. The Republicans have been fighting for eight years to take that away. The Democrats have proposed plans that would guarantee health insurance for all. The Republican plans all would leave between 40-60 million people without health insurance. The two parties are not the same at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
      I don't understand why this is truth. The Democrats actually passed a bill that led to tens of millions more people having health insurance. The Republicans have been fighting for eight years to take that away. The Democrats have proposed plans that would guarantee health insurance for all. The Republican plans all would leave between 40-60 million people without health insurance. The two parties are not the same at all.
      This is also truth.

Comment

I don't understand why this is truth. The Democrats actually passed a Flawed bill that led to tens of millions more people having health insurance. The Republicans have been fighting for eight years to take that away. The Democrats have proposed plans that would guarantee health insurance for all. The Republican plans all would leave between 40-60 million people without health insurance. The two parties are not the same at all.
        Fixed it for you. And, your point about acting along party lines is playing out again in real time as the Dems will try to take away the deeply flawed tax bill the first chance they get. Maybe both parties should/could at least attempt to work together, but that’s probably only the Republicans fault! If you believe that malarkey I’ll never convince you otherwise. Carry on. And, I don’t think I said both parties were the same. When the Dems are in control again they can work as a partisan group to fix their prior mistake. But they might need some republican help.
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Fixed it for you. And, your point about acting along party lines is playing out again in real time as the Dems will try to take away the deeply flawed tax bill the first chance they get. Maybe both parties should/could at least attempt to work together, but that’s probably only the Republicans fault! If you believe that malarkey I’ll never convince you otherwise. Carry on. And, I don’t think I said both parties were the same. When the Dems are in control again they can work as a partisan group to fix their prior mistake. But they might need some republican help.
          They won’t take it away—virtually impossible to take any benefit away from the public once they get used to having it. The Dems will bitch and moan and then extend those tax breaks, same as the GOP.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
            They won’t take it away—virtually impossible to take any benefit away from the public once they get used to having it. The Dems will bitch and moan and then extend those tax breaks, same as the GOP.
            I completely agree.
            I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Passed under the guise it would save the average American $2500 and that he/she would be able to keep their doctor. I believe those were fact checks 2013 lie of the year award winners if memory serves. Would the bill have passed without the truth stretches? Interesting question.

Comment

Fixed it for you. And, your point about acting along party lines is playing out again in real time as the Dems will try to take away the deeply flawed tax bill the first chance they get.
                The goal should be to enact legislation that is good for the country. It should not matter if it is partisan or bi-partisan.

1) Health Care - I think legislation that brings tens of millions more people into the health insurance system is a good thing. I think the goal should be to eventually get health insurance available for everyone. Of course, we want to keep costs as low as possible, and I fully support ideas to help improve this. All of the plans the GOP has proposed would take insurance away from millions of citizens who want it (That's why they were so unpopular that they could not pass despite controlling the House, Senate, and Presidency). I think the proposed GOP plans are not good for the country.
                2) Tax Cuts - Every* credible economist agrees that cutting corporate tax rates from 35% to 21% will add hundreds of billions of dollars to the deficit per year. Every sane economist agrees that increasing deficit spending makes sense during a recession, but not during periods of solid economic growth, as we have now. Every sane economist agrees that the vast majority of the benefits of the 2017 Tax Cut Bill goes to corporations - their rates are being cut by 40%! And of course, the corporate tax cuts are permanent, while the individual cuts are only for the first seven years.

The Tax Cut plan is flawed because it's basic premise is flawed. Cutting corporate tax rates is a very inefficient way to stimulate the economy.

*Every - I said Every, but I realize that's an exaggeration. I know there are some who believe that massive corporate tax cuts will drive growth enough to pay for the cuts, but they have no historical example or sound economic theory to justify these beliefs.

Comment

Again, as I and others have said, the bill was in committee, town halls, and work groups for 18 months before a vote. The Republicans had ample opportunity to make contributions to the final product. And again, everyone agrees that the initial rollout of the bill was flawed, BUT, it was always going to be a work in progress, and it was advancing as much as it could given the opposition.

Flawed? Yes. But better than anything that had come before it, and still has a chance to be better than it was...but that would take bipartisan cooperation by the GOP to make it happen. The Dems want it to work, so let's make it work!
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    Again, as I and others have said, the bill was in committee, town halls, and work groups for 18 months before a vote. The Republicans had ample opportunity to make contributions to the final product. And again, everyone agrees that the initial rollout of the bill was flawed, BUT, it was always going to be a work in progress, and it was advancing as much as it could given the opposition.

Flawed? Yes. But better than anything that had come before it, and still has a chance to be better than it was...but that would take bipartisan cooperation by the GOP to make it happen. The Dems want it to work, so let's make it work!
                    That is all I was saying. It’s flawed. I have no dog in this fight. In fact, I do actually as I have a son who was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma two years ago at age 31 (he’s doing great, btw!). I have Diabetes (I’m doing ok). We have pre-existing conditions, so I’m all for “let’s fix it.” As I recall every contribution the Republicans wanted to make were dismissed. In the end, it was, in fact, rammed through Congress without any bi-partisanship. The Dems had a 60 vote majority, including two Independents, and they didn't need to concede anything to the GOP and they didn't. In Washington, its pretty much a "Reap what you sow" environment. I don’t think many people object to the idea of ACA, some object, irrationally, to the name it is often referred to by, while most others want the plan to work.
                    Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 05-02-2018, 03:03 PM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

We have pre-existing conditions, so I’m all for “let’s fix it.” As I recall every modification the Republicans wanted to make were dismissed.
                      Glad you and your son are OK. The ACA has rules that say those with pre-existing conditions must be covered and can not be charged more. All of the GOP plans removed this feature. Eventually the GOP proposed the "high-risk" pools for those with pre-existing conditions, but those pools would require a LOT of money, which the GOP was not providing. So essentially, all of the proposed GOP plans would remove protection for those with pre-existing conditions.

Comment

The goal should be to enact legislation that is good for the country. It should not matter if it is partisan or bi-partisan.

1) Health Care - I think legislation that brings tens of millions more people into the health insurance system is a good thing. I think the goal should be to eventually get health insurance available for everyone. Of course, we want to keep costs as low as possible, and I fully support ideas to help improve this. All of the plans the GOP has proposed would take insurance away from millions of citizens who want it (That's why they were so unpopular that they could not pass despite controlling the House, Senate, and Presidency). I think the proposed GOP plans are not good for the country.
                        2) Tax Cuts - Every* credible economist agrees that cutting corporate tax rates from 35% to 21% will add hundreds of billions of dollars to the deficit per year. Every sane economist agrees that increasing deficit spending makes sense during a recession, but not during periods of solid economic growth, as we have now. Every sane economist agrees that the vast majority of the benefits of the 2017 Tax Cut Bill goes to corporations - their rates are being cut by 40%! And of course, the corporate tax cuts are permanent, while the individual cuts are only for the first seven years.

The Tax Cut plan is flawed because it's basic premise is flawed. Cutting corporate tax rates is a very inefficient way to stimulate the economy.

*Every - I said Every, but I realize that's an exaggeration. I know there are some who believe that massive corporate tax cuts will drive growth enough to pay for the cuts, but they have no historical example or sound economic theory to justify these beliefs.
                        I am not really sure, what we are arguing about or if we are even arguing. "The goal should be to enact legislation that is good for the country. It should not matter if it is partisan or bi-partisan." is very true, but it sadly isn't reality! It should be, but it isn't.

I agree that ACA is better than the alternative, but I am employed by an employer who pays a portion of my healthcare and I am not subject to exchanges. My insurance cost actually, wait for it, decreased 5% this year (BCBS Illinois through a consortium of financial institutions). We elected to pass the full savings onto our employees.

I think that, as a business person, long term the tax plan will work, but much like ACA, it will require a fix. Who will run for office on raising taxes!

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                        Glad you and your son are OK. The ACA has rules that say those with pre-existing conditions must be covered and can not be charged more. All of the GOP plans removed this feature. Eventually the GOP proposed the "high-risk" pools for those with pre-existing conditions, but those pools would require a LOT of money, which the GOP was not providing. So essentially, all of the proposed GOP plans would remove protection for those with pre-existing conditions.
                        Thank you. We are. And, so I agree it needs to be fixed. Are the GOP fixes right, nope! But until the Dems and the GOP learn to play nice, will these fixes ever occur?

Ronald Reagan

Comment

That is all I was saying. It’s flawed. I have no dog in this fight. In fact, I do actually as I have a son who was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma two years ago at age 31 (he’s doing great, btw!). I have Diabetes (I’m doing ok). We have pre-existing conditions, so I’m all for “let’s fix it.” As I recall every contribution the Republicans wanted to make were dismissed. In the end, it was, in fact, rammed through Congress without any bi-partisanship. The Dems had a 60 vote majority, including two Independents, and they didn't need to concede anything to the GOP and they didn't. In Washington, its pretty much a "Reap what you sow" environment. I don’t think many people object to the idea of ACA, some object, irrationally, to the name it is often referred to by, while most others want the plan to work.
                          Good to hear about your son...positive news! How about you? Type 1 or Type 2? I'm type 2 and it took a while (like 2 years) to get the meds balanced out, but now they're working great. The downside is that I'm getting fat again, LOL.

You're right about the the fact the Dems had to carry the water for the ACA (see what I did there? I twisted what you said! LOL) Not a single GOP vote for Obamacare, either in the Senate or the House...not one. I'll leave that fact stand without comment.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Good to hear about your son...positive news! How about you? Type 1 or Type 2? I'm type 2 and it took a while (like 2 years) to get the meds balanced out, but now they're working great. The downside is that I'm getting fat again, LOL.

You're right about the the fact the Dems had to carry the water for the ACA (see what I did there? I twisted what you said! LOL) Not a single GOP vote for Obamacare, either in the Senate or the House...not one. I'll leave that fact stand without comment.
                            Yes. My son who was told he had stage 4 Hodgkin’s in October of 2016, is now doing great. Funny story out of a not so funny situation: He went into treatment immediately after his diagnosis. You know, chemo messes with your stuff!! He was told he probably won’t be able to have kids as he needed to start treatment immediately. He didn’t have time to do the sperm bank thing. So, you know what happens when you forget to put on the raincoat. He and his girlfriend are expecting a little “healthy” girl in early July!! I’m gonna be a Grandpa!

As for my Diabetes, unfortunately, I’m type I now. Two years ago, was informed that I’m insulin dependent. This after 20 years of fighting it with the pills only. But, I feel OK. Sounds like you have it under control, which is great. Exercise and eat right. As you probably know, stress is a big contributor to high BS and BP. My job stress as a Banker who specializes in turn around situations doesn’t help! Any way, I’m planning on being around to see my Granddaughter get married (or whatever the kids do then) but I’d like to see her Father get married first!

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Yes. My son who was told he had stage 4 Hodgkin’s in October of 2016, is now doing great. Funny story out of a not so funny situation: He went into treatment immediately after his diagnosis. You know, chemo messes with your stuff!! He was told he probably won’t be able to have kids as he needed to start treatment immediately. He didn’t have time to do the sperm bank thing. So, you know what happens when you forget to put on the raincoat. He and his girlfriend are expecting a little “healthy” girl in early July!! I’m gonna be a Grandpa!

As for my Diabetes, unfortunately, I’m type I now. Two years ago, was informed that I’m insulin dependent. This after 20 years of fighting it with the pills only. But, I feel OK. Sounds like you have it under control, which is great. Exercise and eat right. As you probably know, stress is a big contributor to high BS and BP. My job stress as a Banker who specializes in turn around situations doesn’t help! Any way, I’m planning on being around to see my Granddaughter get married (or whatever the kids do then) but I’d like to see her Father get married first!
                              That's fantastic news about your son, his gal, and your new grandbaby! I'm a Grandfather of a 2+ YO girl, and I'll tell you straight out, it's the best thing that's ever happened to me. All of the joy with only a little bit of the responsibility. The smile lights up a room and melts your heart...you're going to have a blast!

-Warren Ellis

Comment

That's fantastic news about your son, his gal, and your new grandbaby! I'm a Grandfather of a 2+ YO girl, and I'll tell you straight out, it's the best thing that's ever happened to me. All of the joy with only a little bit of the responsibility. The smile lights up a room and melts your heart...you're going to have a blast!
                                Thanks. I’m kinda excited (if over the moon is just kinda). His girlfriend has also has a four yr old son who is my “grandson” and they’ve been in our lives for about three years now. So he’s also mine! He’s my best buddy ever.

Because this thread got sort of off topic let me get it back on topic.

God Trump sucks. Or, no he doesn’t.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X