This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Ha, that is true. I take back what I said about baldgriff and onejayhawk being the most personally maligned poster here. You take the gold medal in that regard, specifically/primarily with folks ribbing you about your anger of player cold spells.
    Find the thread where I talked about letting my dogs crap in a 100 acre field surrounded by woods!!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      I struggle to understand anyone who doesn't see the main tone of the last several years in the Sports Bar as toxic.

a handful of posters are comfortable with that tone, but I think the crowd has spoken in terms of exits.

if a crowd doesn't laugh at a comic's jokes, the problem isn't the audience - it's the jokes.

and if a crowd gives up on conversations, then the problem isn't the audience, either - no matter how much easier it is to assume so.
      Maybe because I took a break from the site from 2013 until 2017 (due to shifting family and work obligations, not argument fatigue), I don't really see this. My memory is that there was just as much vituperative debate on politics and religion before 2013 as there is now, albeit with more overall participants and more silly non-political threads in the Sports Bar. So maybe it's the decline of other non-controversial topics in the Sports Bar (and perhaps we're all now less comfortable posting about hot women in the #metoo era and with so many of us now married and the fathers of daughters, lol). But there have always been a mix of tones and styles in the policy/politics/religion debates, with flamethrowers like Sharp Talons, Bob Kohm, and gwynninthehall causing offense and triggering defensiveness. But at the same time those flamethrowing posters sometimes moved the discussions and debates in interesting directions at times, and I learned a lot. Some of the religion debates/explorations back in the day were pretty epic.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        Maybe because I took a break from the site from 2013 until 2017 (due to shifting family and work obligations, not argument fatigue), I don't really see this. My memory is that there was just as much vituperative debate on politics and religion before 2013 as there is now, albeit with more overall participants and more silly non-political threads in the Sports Bar. So maybe it's the decline of other non-controversial topics in the Sports Bar (and perhaps we're all now less comfortable posting about hot women in the #metoo era and with so many of us now married and the fathers of daughters, lol). But there have always been a mix of tones and styles in the policy/politics/religion debates, with flamethrowers like Sharp Talons, Bob Kohm, and gwynninthehall causing offense and triggering defensiveness. But at the same time those flamethrowing posters sometimes moved the discussions and debates in interesting directions at times, and I learned a lot. Some of the religion debates/explorations back in the day were pretty epic.
        Agreed.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• @swampdragon...

-crickets-

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain. Time to die.

Comment

• Originally posted by [echo] View Post
            Did you think Obama was racist?
            No, I dont think Obama is racist.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
              No, I dont think Obama is racist.
              interesting
              I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain. Time to die.

Comment

• Originally posted by [echo] View Post
                interesting
                Not particularly, [echo]. Since Obama was half white and half black and grew up surrounded by Asians, which race do you think he was racist against?

Comment

Not particularly, [echo]. Since Obama was half white and half black and grew up surrounded by Asians, which race do you think he was racist against?
                  I didn't think that there are that many Asians living in Kenya ?
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    LOL, you're joking, right? Hawaii has a lot of Asians; Indonesia even more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      Mith has finally been unmasked. His real name is Alex Jones.

This did make me laugh.

Comment

• Did anybody see the idiotic and shameful comment (just everyday Trump, nothing special) about disabled athletes?

Speaking in front of an audience with Olympic and Paralympic athletes, Trump says "that was just incredible, and what happened with the Paralympics was so incredible and so inspiring to me. And I watched - it's a little tough to watch too much, but I watched as much as I could, it was really fantastic. Thank you."

What a disgusting boorish moron for a President.
                        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                          Did anybody see the idiotic and shameful comment (just everyday Trump, nothing special) about disabled athletes?

Speaking in front of an audience with Olympic and Paralympic athletes, Trump says "that was just incredible, and what happened with the Paralympics was so incredible and so inspiring to me. And I watched - it's a little tough to watch too much, but I watched as much as I could, it was really fantastic. Thank you."

What a disgusting boorish moron for a President.
                          I guess this could be interpreted two ways. You seem to be reading it as him saying that seeing disabled people causes him a gut discomfort that makes it hard for him to keep watching. On the other hand, I would expect that for the President of the United States it is (should be?) difficult to carve out a lot of time for the pleasure of watching any sporting event or inspirational programming, because of all of the work demands of the office. So maybe this is a case where we're misreading the spirit/intent of his words and that's what he meant.

Comment

I guess this could be interpreted two ways. You seem to be reading it as him saying that seeing disabled people causes him a gut discomfort that makes it hard for him to keep watching. On the other hand, I would expect that for the President of the United States it is (should be?) difficult to carve out a lot of time for the pleasure of watching any sporting event or inspirational programming, because of all of the work demands of the office. So maybe this is a case where we're misreading the spirit/intent of his words and that's what he meant.
                            Perhaps, but he spends hours watching Fox & Friends daily so it's not like he hasn't carved out TV time in his daily routine.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

You seem to be reading it as him saying that seeing disabled people causes him a gut discomfort that makes it hard for him to keep watching.
                              I think that's exactly what he meant. And I even kind of understand it. I'll be honest, it's tough for me to watch disabled people go about their business sometimes, because it's so heartbreaking to see them struggle with the simplest things I take for granted. If you're not around it on a regular basis, it can be jarring and uncomfortable. He certainly expressed that poorly, because Trump. While I wish he was a more elegant and empathetic speaker - and president, and person - I doubt it was his intent to insult paralympic athletes. Hopefully, the athletes will look at the entirety of his comments and recognize that he was trying to honor them, despite his insensitive off-the-cuff aside.
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• So when is Trump going to make Health Care more affordable for us working stiffs?

Comment

Working...
                                X