X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    This question is for our right-leaners:
    So Trump has come up with some ideas for this burgeoning gun control dilemma. I don’t want to debate those now, but I’d like to debate the source of these ideas. Apparently his ideas have come from, in no particular order, Marco Rubio, Geraldo Rivera, and whoever was in attendance at Mar-A-Lago when he was there this past weekend. Is this what you expected when you voted for him? That he would lean on friends, guests, dues-paying members, to influence his opinion, over let’s say, experts? Enquiring minds want to know.
    I doubt anyone here is going to admit to voting for Trump. And if they do they probably weren't voting for him based on gun control ideas. Did anyone really expect that we were going to get gun control ideas from a Republican ? I doubt that was in any Trump voters mind. I would be curious to hear where Trump voters thought he was going to get any ideas at all to be honest.

EDIT: I guess I don't think anyone who voted for Trump did it based on an assessment of his detailed ideas and how he would implement policy. I think it was more because of his appeal to more basic feeling and instincts.
    Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 02-23-2018, 12:26 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      I doubt anyone here is going to admit to voting for Trump. And if they do they probably weren't voting for him based on gun control ideas. Did anyone really expect that we were going to get gun control ideas from a Republican ? I doubt that was in any Trump voters mind. I would be curious to hear where Trump voters thought he was going to get any ideas at all to be honest.

EDIT: I guess I don't think anyone who voted for Trump did it based on an assessment of his detailed ideas and how he would implement policy. I think it was more because of his appeal to more basic feeling and instincts.
      My post was not about gun control ideas at all. But it IS about his ideas in general. We’re being subjected to policy being made by polling Mar-A-Lago guests? Really?

My biggest fear for the Trump regime was that he would not take this job seriously, that he would not bother putting the time in, that he pretty much would just wing it. I really don’t believe anyone can question that those fears have come true.

Comment

My post was not about gun control ideas at all. But it IS about his ideas in general. We’re being subjected to policy being made by polling Mar-A-Lago guests? Really?

My biggest fear for the Trump regime was that he would not take this job seriously, that he would not bother putting the time in, that he pretty much would just wing it. I really don’t believe anyone can question that those fears have come true.
        fair enough, I will try not to side track and see if anyone will answer your question
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I'll tackle the last three posts.

1. Yes, I voted for Trump. No, I didn't do so due to "basic feelings and instincts". Hell, no. I did so from a clearly calculated point of view based on how I thought each of the presidential candidates would influence key areas that are meaningful to me, with SCTOUS being #1 on my list.
          2. That Trump doesn't take the job seriously has already been categorically disproven. You can disagree with what he does and how he does it, but getting a tax bill of this magnitude through Congress proves, in and of itself, that he takes the job seriously.
          3. A point of view from journalists who, for the most part, have been shown to loathe Trump, on how he "generated ideas" for the latest gun control bill holds almost no water for me. Your mileage may vary.
          4. If there's a shred of accuracy in the report, and Trump did talk to Marco Rubio, how is that a bad thing? I'd fully expect Rubio could give Trump valuable input on what could get passed in the Senate.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• I think Trump, on a lot of issues, decides his position the way the wind blows. IMO, when the Democrats take control of Congress, Trump will become much more of a centrist because that is where he can make hay.
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              I'll tackle the last three posts.

Yes, I voted for Trump. No, I didn't do so due to "basic feelings and instincts". Hell, no. I did so from a clearly calculated point of view based on how I thought each of the presidential candidates would influence key areas that are meaningful to me, with SCTOUS being #1 on my list.
              My post was poorly worded and oversimplified and in general was not up to the already low standards for my posting. I was trying to say that I believe voters considered the big picture, not the details of where his ideas come from - I was not trying to say that Trump voters hadn't thought about issues. But I should have just shut up and let a Trump voter respond. Glad you did, I wish we had more Trump voters who would post here, it is good to hear different viewpoints.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I wish we had more Trump voters who would post here, it is good to hear different viewpoints.
                I agree. Frankly, it is hard for me to wrap my head around the reasons why so many voted for Trump, and I have a few general thoughts on who the typical Trump voter is that do not fit who I perceive Chancellor to be. So, reading what he thinks of Trump and how he is doing is illuminating, even when I vehemently disagree with his assessments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  I agree. Frankly, it is hard for me to wrap my head around the reasons why so many voted for Trump, and I have a few general thoughts on who the typical Trump voter is that do not fit who I perceive Chancellor to be. So, reading what he thinks of Trump and how he is doing is illuminating, even when I vehemently disagree with his assessments.
                  I think I (and others here) tend to assume a lot about them, sometimes because it fits our narrative. It would be great if more Trump voters would post here, but at the same time I understand why they don't
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

This year is the best shot for impeachment, with Dems poised to win back Congress. If it doesn't happen later this year or early next year, then what we need is a 1992 style chain of events, when Pat Buchanan launched a major offensive in the primaries on George Bush, showing his vulnerability, and then Ross Perot launched a very credible 3rd party bid that eroded away GOP votes.

It would be great if Mark Cuban ran in the Republican primary and John Kasich ran in the general election as an Independent. That could be our perfect storm.
                    Looks like John Kasich is weighing a primary bid against Trump. That would be awesome.

Comment

My post was poorly worded and oversimplified and in general was not up to the already low standards for my posting. I was trying to say that I believe voters considered the big picture, not the details of where his ideas come from - I was not trying to say that Trump voters hadn't thought about issues. But I should have just shut up and let a Trump voter respond. Glad you did, I wish we had more Trump voters who would post here, it is good to hear different viewpoints.
                      Thanks, and I don't think you have low standards for your posts - you certainly bring a different point of view.

Comment

Looks like John Kasich is weighing a primary bid against Trump. That would be awesome.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ections-422337
                        I think so, too, but almost certainly for different reasons than you do.

Comment

I think so, too, but almost certainly for different reasons than you do.
                          I'm curious about what your reasons for agreeing it is awesome our. I too think it is awesome, because I think Kasich would make a much better president than Trump.

Comment

• I think we will see a primary challenge to Trump. I was a Kaisich guy for the GOP last time—if Charlie Baker doesn’t run, I will probably be a Kaisich guy this time. I think he is another pawn for the military, but he seems to be a lot more centrist than most in the GOP, so I feel obligated to support that. Would love to see a race between someone from the Sanders anti-military wing of the Dems battle someone from the anti - military wing of the GOP ( not Rand Paul though) but I realize that is unlikely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              I'm curious about what your reasons for agreeing it is awesome our. I too think it is awesome, because I think Kasich would make a much better president than Trump.
                              Because I think it's likely Kasich will get clubbed like a baby seal in a GOP primary, especially if it's he against Trump mano a mano. Revo's original concept is far more dangerous, IMO - Kasich running as an independent will be far more damaging, especially if the Dems run someone from the left, like Sanders or Warren.

Comment

Because I think it's likely Kasich will get clubbed like a baby seal in a GOP primary, especially if it's he against Trump mano a mano. Revo's original concept is far more dangerous, IMO - Kasich running as an independent will be far more damaging, especially if the Dems run someone from the left, like Sanders or Warren.
                                Yes, I'd like to see that happen more, but I'll take a primary run if that's all we have.

Comment

Working...
                                X