Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dont need to see some parade like that.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      It is a bit scary to me. Seems like!the sort of thing North Korea does.
      I can’t even conjure a plausible defense of this silliness, as it’s just dumb. (To be totally clear, I am speaking of Trumps parade, not Soul Masher’s comment)
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Good to hear, I hate arguing with you.

I would say that 2 of the 4 areas that you listed should certainly be in the wheelhouse of the CDC. Brain injury and Opioid Abuse should be multi jurisdictional issues since while they may be limited to a small section of the population, the affect they have on younger people can be devastating. The other two you mentioned, I would agree with the CDC being hands off.
        You could be right, but it's pretty evident some of those agencies don't. Unfortunately, this appears to be a turf war issue. And if the FDA is involved, I can guarantee the CDC will come out on the short end.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
          I can’t even conjure a plausible defense of this silliness, as it’s just dumb. (To be totally clear, I am speaking of Trumps parade, not Soul Masher’s comment)
          I'll start worrying about this once someone who's not an anti-Trump writer on an anti-Trump rag confirms.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            I'll start worrying about this once someone who's not an anti-Trump writer on an anti-Trump rag confirms.
            Everyone is reporting Trump wants to have the parade, from WaPo to Business Insider to NPR to Fox News. Here is a link to a Fox News article. Sanders is quoted as saying that a final decision has not been made, but does not dispute the president wants to do it: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...o-stop-it.html

Comment

• per the BBC (where I first learned about this) ...

"He has asked the Department of Defense to explore a celebration at which all Americans can show their appreciation."
              Defence Secretary Jim Mattis said on Wednesday that the Pentagon is drawing up potential plans for the parade and will send them to the White House for approval.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Trump watching his parade:

Comment

• This seems like an easy win for the president... Anyone who is against it is unpatriotic and hates our military, while he donates his paychecks to VA hospitals. It doesn't even have to come to fruition, anyone who comes out and complains is a target now... and if it does come to fruition, the protests will just be another example of how progressives hate america and everything it stands for. WIN-WIN!
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    This seems like an easy win for the president... Anyone who is against it is unpatriotic and hates our military, while he donates his paychecks to VA hospitals. It doesn't even have to come to fruition, anyone who comes out and complains is a target now... and if it does come to fruition, the protests will just be another example of how progressives hate america and everything it stands for. WIN-WIN!
                    I more or less agree. Nobody who is a Trump supporter is going to complain about this and I think most independents and those who don't follow politics won't really care either. If this was the biggest issue I had with him as President I'd be really happy.
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      I more or less agree. Nobody who is a Trump supporter is going to complain about this and I think most independents and those who don't follow politics won't really care either. If this was the biggest issue I had with him as President I'd be really happy.
                      It's probably about 987th on the list of issues that I have with Trump, but that doesn't excuse the stupidity, the vanity, and the expense of this proposed event, IMO. Again, rather than spend millions bringing in all this hardware, troops, and ancillary expenses, why not spend those dollars on people who are in trouble, who've actually served this country.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

It's probably about 987th on the list of issues that I have with Trump, but that doesn't excuse the stupidity, the vanity, and the expense of this proposed event, IMO. Again, rather than spend millions bringing in all this hardware, troops, and ancillary expenses, why not spend those dollars on people who are in trouble, who've actually served this country.
                        Well sure....but why not significantly downsize the military and quit spending billions on pointless wars ? if that didn't happen under Obama it isn't going to happen under Trump. Why weren't the people who hate this waste of money on the military pushing back over the last 8 years when it might have had a chance of success ?
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Well sure....but why not significantly downsize the military and quit spending billions on pointless wars ? if that didn't happen under Obama it isn't going to happen under Trump. Why weren't the people who hate this waste of money on the military pushing back over the last 8 years when it might have had a chance of success ?
                          Well, it didn't happen now as military spending got a nice $300 Billion boost over the next two years.

Comment

We'll never cut military spending, never. It's a sacred cow that even the progressives are loath to touch. But that doesn't mean that we need to needlessly expand expenses on ceremonial garbage designed to make Trump feel like he's actually a warrior.

As far as pointless wars, I'm with you...but, again, that but, we've decided that part of our defense is to be the World's Policeman. I don't agree with it, but I'm realistic enough to know that it's not going to change, no matter who's in charge.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

We'll never cut military spending, never. It's a sacred cow that even the progressives are loath to touch. But that doesn't mean that we need to needlessly expand expenses on ceremonial garbage designed to make Trump feel like he's actually a warrior.

As far as pointless wars, I'm with you...but, again, that but, we've decided that part of our defense is to be the World's Policeman. I don't agree with it, but I'm realistic enough to know that it's not going to change, no matter who's in charge.
                              But complaining about a stupid parade isn't going to change anything either, and it's impact is much smaller. I guess I don't agree about just accepting it and letting it slide because I think my voice doesn't matter. I never thought we would have gay marriage in my lifetime either, but fortunately people spoke up and made change happen. I'm tired of Dems accepting what is "possible" or whatever the Democratic party wants to offer and not challenging them to do better. Donald Trump will never respond to the voice of the progressives/liberals/Democrats so I don't waste my breathe criticizing him -- but the Dems should look for a candidate who does want change and will respond. Anyway, we are stuck with him so if people feel better voicing their displeasure I'll try to just let them.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

We'll never cut military spending, never. It's a sacred cow that even the progressives are loath to touch.
                                More political agreement. Interesting that only those on the right who are budget hawks and the far left opposed the military spending increases.

Comment

Working...
                                X