This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Yeah, as I mentioned in here before, these are nice gestures by these companies who now have a huge windfall on their hands. But let's not lose sight of the fact this corporate tax cut -- and repatriation of foreign monies at a lower rate -- will lead to more share buybacks and corporate acquisitions then they will to more jobs. As a stock market investor, I'm happy about that, but I do believe this administration was not being very forthcoming with the American people there.
    You make a great point, but I doubt the cashier or greeter at Wal-Mart has such a global view. They are no different than anyone else in the sense that most everyone is concerned about what the number on the check says on payday.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Yeah, as I mentioned in here before, these are nice gestures by these companies who now have a huge windfall on their hands. But let's not lose sight of the fact this corporate tax cut -- and repatriation of foreign monies at a lower rate -- will lead to more share buybacks and corporate acquisitions then they will to more jobs. As a stock market investor, I'm happy about that, but I do believe this administration was not being very forthcoming with the American people there.
      These are companies who now get to keep more of their money and can reinvest it into their company and employees. Isnt that a great thing?
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
        So I see Walmart is raising its minimum wage for employees and some are getting bonuses of up to $1000. Apparently in response to the new tax legislation.

I dont know if it is all true or not, but if so - getting people more seems to be a good step.
        I was surprised by this announcement as I figured most companies would be like Apple and talk about larger dividends and stock buybacks. Good for Wal-Mart. What I haven't heard is how much raising the minimum wage to $11/hour will do for people. Are they being paid $10.75 now which is nice to get an extra $10 week but not life changing? or are they getting $9.50 now in which case it is a large bump? Not many will get the bonus as it is limited to employees with 20 years service but in total this will still add $300M in total wages to the bottom line of Wal-Mart.

I wonder how much Wal-mart will get on a tax break? I would assume $300M or so would be the floor of the expected tax cut which is why they came up with a program paying out that much. And as I type this I realize I am very cynical towards business.

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
          I was surprised by this announcement as I figured most companies would be like Apple and talk about larger dividends and stock buybacks. Good for Wal-Mart. What I haven't heard is how much raising the minimum wage to $11/hour will do for people. Are they being paid $10.75 now which is nice to get an extra $10 week but not life changing? or are they getting $9.50 now in which case it is a large bump? Not many will get the bonus as it is limited to employees with 20 years service but in total this will still add $300M in total wages to the bottom line of Wal-Mart.

I wonder how much Wal-mart will get on a tax break? I would assume $300M or so would be the floor of the expected tax cut which is why they came up with a program paying out that much. And as I type this I realize I am very cynical towards business.
          their min wage was $9, or $10 after completing some training. Some employees under 20 years of service still get some bonus, just not $1k.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• WalMart closed 63 Sam's Clubs today...Maybe dslaw isn't the only on cynical about business.
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• The one time bonuses are a sad bone thrown to appease the public. Permanent raises are more meaningful.

My favorite move so far is what Visa has done, raising their employee match on 401ks. Employees may not prefer that move now, but it could mean several hundred thousands down the line for employees. Next to substandard wages, a complete lack of employer sponsored retirement savings options is probably the biggest problem we have. About half of the country plans on relying entirely on SS, and it isn't meant to be the sole source of money in retirement. The elderly living in near poverty or working till they drop is a growing issue as pension plans fall out of favor.
              Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-11-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                WalMart closed 63 Sam's Clubs today...Maybe dslaw isn't the only on cynical about business.
                I guess those 10,000 employees don't get the raise.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  I guess those 10,000 employees don't get the raise.
                  They reinvested in something else I guess.

Comment

• I think I found my new avatar

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The new cover of <a href="https://twitter.com/TIME?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TIME</a>. <a href="https://t.co/EoCjcatYFZ">pic.twitter.com/EoCjcatYFZ</a></p>&mdash; Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) <a href="https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/951442446839373825?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 11, 2018</a></blockquote>
                    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• So we found out today that:

1 - Trump thinks he "probably has a very good relationship with Kim Jong Un." But he's never actually confirmed that he's even spoken with him. So he probably has as good a relationship with Un as say, I do.

2 - Trump thinks immigrants should come from places like Norway, and not "shitholes like Africa and Haiti." Things that make you go "Hmmmm".

Comment

• I honestly think that the "Shithole Countries" comment might be the 1st legitimate nail in his coffin. That's something only the most virulent racists would say, and they'd say it in the privacy of their own homes, rarely in any sort of a meeting where it could be leaked. I mean, it can't be clearer what he wants, less brown and black people, more white people...like from Norway.

Every time I think that he can't get worse, he actually lowers the bar.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          I honestly think that the "Shithole Countries" comment might be the 1st legitimate nail in his coffin. That's something only the most virulent racists would say, and they'd say it in the privacy of their own homes, rarely in any sort of a meeting where it could be leaked. I mean, it can't be clearer what he wants, less brown and black people, more white people...like from Norway.

Every time I think that he can't get worse, he actually lowers the bar.
                          I don't share your faith in his supporters finally seeing what has been obvious for years . The hard truth is that most of his supporters know who he is, and they either agree with his views, or they are apathetic to them, because they rank what he can give them, or what they think he can give them, much higher than what he takes from others.

The most depressing thing about his presidency is that the best we can realistically hope for in 2020 is a around a 5% swing in the popular vote. Yes, it will be enough to get us a new president, but that won't take away what his election and presidency has taught us about our country. It won't erase the fact that a near majority of voters in our country embraced Donald Trump, worts, pustules, tumors, and all. And even after 4 years of him showing the world who he is, at least 40% of American voters will vote for him again, if given the chance.
                          Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-11-2018, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            I don't share your faith in his supporters finally seeing what has been obvious for years . The hard truth is that most of his supporters know who he is, and they either agree with his views, or they are apathetic to them, because they rank what he can give them, or what they think he can give them, much higher than what he takes from others.

The most depressing thing about his presidency is that the best we can realistically hope for in 2020 is a around a 5% swing in the popular vote. Yes, it will be enough to get us a new president, but that won't take away what his election and presidency has taught us about our country. It won't erase the fact that a near majority of voters in our country embraced Donald Trump, worts, pustules, tumors, and all. And even after 4 years of him showing the world who he is, at least 40% of American voters will vote for him again, if given the chance.
                            I'm not worried at all about his supporters, they will, as you said, support him no matter what. He'll get his 37-40% support, but that's just not enough to win anything in a two person race. Time is the only thing that is going to change this nation, no one person or idea. People living with different races and seeing that they're not that different after all. People marrying outside their religions and cultures. All of this takes time, we truly are a melting pot of humanity. Getting politicians in office who share this view is a major step, reversing some of the damage that's currently being done is essential. And it will be reversed, we will learn from this, and become a better people, and a better nation for it.

What needs to come from this is the rank and file GOP pols dropping support for this racist. They got their payday, now you see them dropping out, and it's going to happen more and more. THAT'S what the reaction from this incredibly racist remark needs to bring. It's one thing to look at his actions and covert speech and think that he's a closet racist...well, he's damn well out of the closet now.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post

What needs to come from this is the rank and file GOP pols dropping support for this racist. They got their payday, now you see them dropping out, and it's going to happen more and more. THAT'S what the reaction from this incredibly racist remark needs to bring. It's one thing to look at his actions and covert speech and think that he's a closet racist...well, he's damn well out of the closet now.
                              They won't break with Trump unless they are sure it is politically expedient to do so. They want their agenda pushed, and they need the potus for that. Do.you really think republican politicians will take a hard and lasting stand against Trump for saying racists things? He has said similar things before.and.it has not mattered. He has said horrible things about Republicans.and their families and.it.has not mattered. He called ted cruz's dad a murderer and suggested his wife ugly. Ted forgave him. Most republicans have proven themselves craven to the bone. Only those who are retiring or dying dare stqnd.up to him and his base. Trump is a bully and most republican politicians have proven themselves.to be cowardly.toadies. Unless their is a clear rejection of Trump from Republican voters,.Republican politicians are.not.going to stand up to him and apart from him.
                              Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-11-2018, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                They won't break with Trump unless they are sure it.l is politically expedient to do so. They want their agenda pushed, and they need the potus for that. Do.you really think republicans will take a hard and lasting stand against Trump.for.saying racists things? He has said similar things before.and.it has not mattered. He has said horrible things about Republicans.and their families and.it.has not mattered. He called red cruz's dad a murderer and suggested his wife ugly. Most republicans have proven themselves craven to the bone. Only those who are retiring or dying dare stqnd.up to him and his base.
                                I've already seen statements on Twitter from GOP politicians decrying the "shithole" statement. At some point, there's nothing to be gained by following this guy, and the point of no return is rapidly approaching. They've got their payday with the tax bill, they've eviscerated the ACA, they're getting the "drill baby drill" offshore oil platforms that they've wanted for years. There's simply not a lot let to do, other than stop immigration, than they've already done.

IMO, they'll get annihilated in the midterms and 2020 as long as the Dems keep up the pressure and get the vote out. So yeah, I do think that moderate GOPers will finally break from Trump...it may be their only way to stay in office.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X