X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
    its not any different.
    Sure. And Trump had more people at his Inauguration.

Not only is what the Republicans did different, it was unprecedented, despite what Bernie suspects. And to put it into perspective, consider this:

Following Biden's remarks, which I believe were June 25, 1992, the Senate confirmed thirty-one (31) federal judges for President Bush. Seven (7) of these were Court of Appeals judges. Three of the confirmations were the day after Biden gave his speech. And, if you don't recall, the Democrats had a huge majority in the Senate at the time.

By comparison, look what the Republicans did to President Obama: During the same period of his Presidency, the Senate confirmed exactly two (2) judges. Neither of these was a Court of Appeals Judge. And both of them had been awaiting confirmation for a year.

Does any reasonable person really think this is the same thing?
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      I do believe that there are plenty of people out there that voted Trump as he would likely pick less liberal judges for SCOTUS. SCOTUS nominations were probably the number 2 reason to vote against HRC if you were not a liberal.

Immigration (THE WALL) was probably the biggest reason. The wall is meant to stop ILLEGAL or "Undocumented" immigration from continuing - as to my understanding.

Also he may not have won the popular election, but if you go county by county he won almost 90% of the country. He didnt win the large population centers, but he pretty much swept the rest of the country. So while he may not have won the popular vote - if you put up a red/blue map it is pretty convincing.

http://brilliantmaps.com/2016-county-election-map/
      Gee, I wonder why the more educated people in this country move to the bigger cities

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
        Gee, I wonder why the more educated people in this country move to the bigger cities
        From far away, the Earth looks blue. Thanks Obama!
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I do believe that there are plenty of people out there that voted Trump as he would likely pick less liberal judges for SCOTUS. SCOTUS nominations were probably the number 2 reason to vote against HRC if you were not a liberal.

Immigration (THE WALL) was probably the biggest reason. The wall is meant to stop ILLEGAL or "Undocumented" immigration from continuing - as to my understanding.

Also he may not have won the popular election, but if you go county by county he won almost 90% of the country. He didnt win the large population centers, but he pretty much swept the rest of the country. So while he may not have won the popular vote - if you put up a red/blue map it is pretty convincing.
          http://brilliantmaps.com/2016-county-election-map/
          Okay, you got me here. Pretty convincing of what?

I've heard this argument before, but nobody has ever followed it through. He did good because he won the most real estate? Did we go to the idea of "one acre, one vote" while I was napping?

There is a county in Texas which is over 2300 square miles and has less than 1000 residents. For purposes of scale, 2300 square miles is over 100 times the size of Manhattan. Manhattan has a population of somewhere around 1.6 million people. So, are we really supposed to be impressed that Trump won Terrell County, Texas?
          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

I will grant you that you find a lot more sheepskin on the walls of condo's and apartments in the bigger cities, but you discount the intellegence of people who live in the suburbs and rural areas of the country. That's one of the reasons why Clinton lost.
            Last edited by In the Corn; 01-31-2017, 04:25 PM.
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Probably because they dont want to sit in a tractor most of the day....
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                Okay, you got me here. Pretty convincing of what?

I've heard this argument before, but nobody has ever followed it through. He did good because he won the most real estate? Did we go to the idea of "one acre, one vote" while I was napping?

There is a county in Texas which is over 2300 square miles and has less than 1000 residents. For purposes of scale, 2300 square miles is over 100 times the size of Manhattan. Manhattan has a population of somewhere around 1.6 million people. So, are we really supposed to be impressed that Trump won Terrell County, Texas?
                He won because he won the most electoral votes. But it is interesting to see just how many counties he won vs HRC and really how much voting power resides in the blue counties that have been won. I just find it interesting... that is all.
                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

He won because he won the most electoral votes. But it is interesting to see just how many counties he won vs HRC and really how much voting power resides in the blue counties that have been won. I just find it interesting... that is all.
                  I'll definitely go along with that.

Comment

• Winning the most counties is as irrelevant as saying that Trump would have won the popular vote if you throw out California, or that Clinton won the popular vote. None of it matters.

As Redbird Fan hinted at, if we change to acreage as a measure of counting votes, that'll mean something. As it is, people live in dense population centers, not the middle of North Dakota. Hell, I might argue that states like that shouldn't have 2 Senators...they're overrepresented at this point.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                      Sure. And Trump had more people at his Inauguration.

Not only is what the Republicans did different, it was unprecedented, despite what Bernie suspects. And to put it into perspective, consider this:

Following Biden's remarks, which I believe were June 25, 1992, the Senate confirmed thirty-one (31) federal judges for President Bush. Seven (7) of these were Court of Appeals judges. Three of the confirmations were the day after Biden gave his speech. And, if you don't recall, the Democrats had a huge majority in the Senate at the time.

By comparison, look what the Republicans did to President Obama: During the same period of his Presidency, the Senate confirmed exactly two (2) judges. Neither of these was a Court of Appeals Judge. And both of them had been awaiting confirmation for a year.

Does any reasonable person really think this is the same thing?
                      Lucky, why cant you be Lucky anymore?
                      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        Hell, I might argue that states like that shouldn't have 2 Senators...they're overrepresented at this point.
                        Stupid rural yokel founders... it's as if they did it on purpose. They should have balanced that by creating another branch of Congress where representation is based on population.
                        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                          Stupid rural yokel founders... it's as if they did it on purpose. They should have balanced that by creating another branch of Congress where representation is based on population.
                          I see what you did there.
                          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                            I see what you did there.
                            Stupid constitution, ensuring that the interests of sparsely peopled rural states are not overrun by states with dense population centers who don't understand or care about their concerns.
                            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                              I disagree. She still would have had to fight against a GOP controlled Congress for that. She would have likely left Garland in place or picked someone similar to her slightly left views.
                              I guess I was making a broader assumption that if she won, she might've sweep the open Senate seats on her coat tails or at least enough to control the senate. Without control, Garland was an obvious choice.
                              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I get that you're fishing and all but this is the exact thinking that lost Hillary the election. We live in large population areas because there are people willing to toil and farm the earth, so we don't have to do so. Those people may not have Harvard or Ivy League educations but there is science to their work and it is rarely appreciated. I can't even keep the poinsettia in my office alive for three weeks!! By the holidays, I tell everyone it is Charlie Brown's Christmas tree! But I distress. Trump tapped these very feelings of the working/farming class and then figured out that the game was about electoral votes not popular votes. I'd like to say he was very lucky and those emails, the FBI, Russia helded him, but I'm not so sure. He's a lot of things but stupid ain't one of them!
                                I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X