This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
    I did in fact misquote you. Sorry. You said "Trump has accomplished a great deal to advance the cause of the right, but not always the things he most often lists as among his greatest hits." And, reading IS fundamental! I misread your comment.

And, didn't the Senate confirmation hearing root those bad appointees out? I can't argue with you on these attempts to appoint high unqualified people. It was ridiculous to even the most naive of us.
    I'm not sure what you mean when you ask whether the Senate hearing rooted the bad nominees out. As best I know, there has not been a single nominee voted down by the Judiciary Committee, which is controlled by Republicans, although more than one has been voted against by every sitting Democrat. I don't believe the Senate as a whole has rejected a single nominee. Questioning, however, has revealed flaws which were catastrophic enough that at least one nominee was withdrawn and another took himself out of the running. My recollection is that more than one judge has been approved which the ABA has certified as Not Qualified to serve as a judicial officer. And it takes an awful lot to have your fellow attorneys label you as not qualified.

Senator Kennedy (R) from Louisiana has been quite vocal of late in questioning some of these unqualified appointments. My hat is off to him. He is smart, knows what to ask, and doesn't accept vague answers. He is sending a message to the WH that they need to up their game when it comes to nominees. A couple of more GOP senators with that sort of attitude, and we wouldn't have this problem.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
      I'm not sure what you mean when you ask whether the Senate hearing rooted the bad nominees out. As best I know, there has not been a single nominee voted down by the Judiciary Committee, which is controlled by Republicans, although more than one has been voted against by every sitting Democrat. I don't believe the Senate as a whole has rejected a single nominee. Questioning, however, has revealed flaws which were catastrophic enough that at least one nominee was withdrawn and another took himself out of the running. My recollection is that more than one judge has been approved which the ABA has certified as Not Qualified to serve as a judicial officer. And it takes an awful lot to have your fellow attorneys label you as not qualified.

Senator Kennedy (R) from Louisiana has been quite vocal of late in questioning some of these unqualified appointments. My hat is off to him. He is smart, knows what to ask, and doesn't accept vague answers. He is sending a message to the WH that they need to up their game when it comes to nominees. A couple of more GOP senators with that sort of attitude, and we wouldn't have this problem.
      It might have been Grassley who said a nominee or two wasnt getting confirmed and then those nominees withdrew themselves.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post

Your post above is what I meant. I know two appointees received thumbs down as qualified but they were appointed any way. That’s not great news! But the review process has revealed others that have since withdrawn. I think that’s two withdrawals, as well but I could be wrong. The one guy who was thoroughly embarrassed by Kennedy definitely withdrew.
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Grassley also got in the act, but he couldn't question a kid who was caught with his hand in a cookie jar.
          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Damn, a guy goes on vacation and misses 10 pages of ..."debate". I missed the dick measuring contest too! And I was only going to take enough out to win...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Since taking office I have been very strict on Commercial Aviation. Good news - it was just reported that there were Zero deaths in 2017, the best and safest year on record!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/948195478428102657?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 2, 2018</a></blockquote>
              <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is this buffoon really taking credit for this?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Since taking office I have been very strict on Commercial Aviation. Good news - it was just reported that there were Zero deaths in 2017, the best and safest year on record!</p>— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/948195478428102657?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 2, 2018</a></blockquote>
                <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is this buffoon really taking credit for this?
                I almost laughed out loud, but then...well you know.

Comment

• He basically threatened 3 different nations that have nukes today...I honestly don't know what more needs to be said. He's an out of control maniac...fortunately, I believe in the people that REALLY control the Nuclear button for the US.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• GOP are goddman cowards not to challenge this lunatic with a 25th Amendment threat

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      He basically threatened 3 different nations that have nukes today...I honestly don't know what more needs to be said. He's an out of control maniac...fortunately, I believe in the people that REALLY control the Nuclear button for the US.
                      Those threats got lost in the shuffle amidst the EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT that he will be announcing on Monday the FAKE NEWS AWARDS!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        GOP are goddman cowards not to challenge this lunatic with a 25th Amendment threat
                        Seriously, what is it going to take? How far does he need to go before those craven "leaders" put love of kin, country and common decency first?

Maybe the rift with Bannon will finally erode his base enough that repubs feel it finally expedient to stand up before this man takes us into multiple wars.
                        Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-03-2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          Seriously, what is it going to take? How far does he need to go before those craven "leaders" put love of kin, country and common decency first?

Maybe the rift with Bannon will finally erode his base enough that repubs feel it finally expedient to stand up before this man takes us into multiple wars.
                          every day I wonder this - actually nearly every moment of the day

Comment

• Trump today dissolved the Voting Commission, dedicated to finding voter fraud. He claims that it was dissolved because the States didn't cooperate with requests for information. True or not, it shows that resistance works...

And don't expect the GOP to do anything about Trump...ain't gonna happen folks.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

You are probably right if you mean they won't step up to impeach him for anything less than him attempting a preemptive nuclear strike. However, given his ever mounting baggage, coupled with him alienating just about everyone who has ever been politically close to him, and his poor poll numbers, I would be shocked if the GOP did not oust him in the primaries during the next election. One way or another, I cannot conceive of him even being the nominee, let alone him winning a second term.

Comment

Trump today dissolved the Voting Commission, dedicated to finding voter fraud. He claims that it was dissolved because the States didn't cooperate with requests for information. True or not, it shows that resistance works...

Worse than that, the GOP is starting to go along with Trump. With politicians, it's always abouyt the last vote and the next election. Trump has given them tangible results, so they are learning to deal with his bizarre idiosyncrasies.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X