This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.cyberlearning-world.com/lessons/checksa.htm
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Just for clarification sake - Dont the House and Senate actually pass legislation? Thats what makes them the Legislative Branch isnt it?

The Executive Branch has the power of affirmation or veto.

#schoolhouserock #morefakenews
      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/398887965302091776">November 8, 2013</a></blockquote>
      <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We will immediately repeal and replace ObamaCare - and nobody can do that like me. We will save $'s and have much better healthcare!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/697182075045179392">February 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
      <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

last President to walk into the WH with both houses of Congress in his party and get 0 pieces passed through in 1st 6 months?

<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;" data-tweet-id="250975772083380226"></twitterwidget>
      <script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

Comment

• And this is why Trump was elected...courtesy of 538 Significant Digits newsletter...SMH.

45 percent

Percentage of Trump voters who believed that Donald Trump Jr. met with a Russian lawyer during the election, which is very low given that Donald Trump Jr. personally tweeted out the emails detailing the planning of the meeting, discussed attending the meeting at length in an interview with Sean Hannity, and also that the president discussed the meeting which definitely happened, in print yesterday. [The Independent]
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Just for clarification sake - Dont the House and Senate actually pass legislation? Thats what makes them the Legislative Branch isnt it?

The Executive Branch has the power of affirmation or veto.

#schoolhouserock #morefakenews
          I don't know whether you are unfamiliar with presidential history or just being partisan.

Every president has started his first term with a legislative agenda. Most presidents work hard during the transition to set up that legislative agenda. Most presidents push significant pieces of that legislative agenda through Congress in the early days of their presidency. Most presidents thereby pass a number of major pieces of legislation.

Donald Trump had a legislative agenda. He did not work hard during the transition to set up that legislative agenda. He has not pushed significant pieces of that legislative agenda through Congress despite having a Republican majority in the House and the Senate. He has passed no pieces of major legislation.

The great negotiator and dealmaker has made no legislative deals. He signs things that Bannon and Miller put in front of him. He tweets. He plays golf. He holds rallies. He changes his position on health care every few days.

#coldreality #harderthanhethought #clueless #morephonyexcuses
          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Seriously - you honestly think I am being partisan. Fuck both houses has been my mantra for going on 16 years now.

I get that every president has their agenda............

My point is that ultimately in our wonderful system of checks and balances he is not able to ACTUALLY PASS any legislation. You may think Im parsing words, but to the millions of people in this country that dont actually understand our system - they may actually think he hasnt passed anything - when in fact the President of the United States cant pass shit.

No President from Washington on Obama ever actually passed legislation individually - NOT A FUCKING ONE OF THEM! They signed off on legislation that was passed in both the House and Senate (or they vetoed it).

Now I absolutely understand that our current acting President has not been able to build coalition on either side of the aisle giving him the ability to PROPOSE certain legislative actions and have the House and Senate vote to PASS legislation, which he could then sign off on and APPROVE.

His train wreck isnt that he hasnt passed anything - its that he has no fucking plan or ability to build a coalition to get anything done. While his "my way or the highway" approach may have worked well for him in business. It is not going to serve him well as an acting President.

Ever since Bill Clinton, both parties have been more hell bent on destroying the President than actually working together to make this country great.

What made this country great was our ability to discuss issues, take sides, be respectful of each other and work towards a common goal of correcting whatever the issue was at hand. We have to start figuring out how to come together to move forward to a common goal.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
              I don't know whether you are unfamiliar with presidential history or just being partisan.

Every president has started his first term with a legislative agenda. Most presidents work hard during the transition to set up that legislative agenda. Most presidents push significant pieces of that legislative agenda through Congress in the early days of their presidency. Most presidents thereby pass a number of major pieces of legislation.

Donald Trump had a legislative agenda. He did not work hard during the transition to set up that legislative agenda. He has not pushed significant pieces of that legislative agenda through Congress despite having a Republican majority in the House and the Senate. He has passed no pieces of major legislation.

The great negotiator and dealmaker has made no legislative deals. He signs things that Bannon and Miller put in front of him. He tweets. He plays golf. He holds rallies. He changes his position on health care every few days.

#coldreality #harderthanhethought #clueless #morephonyexcuses
              Would you say that he has had more impact than other Presidents without passing any legislation? EPA, Dept of Education, Paris Accord, etc. His appointees have been very busy making an impact.

Comment

• Bannon has had more impact in his stated goal of “I am a Leninist.” “Lenin wanted to destroy the state and that’s my goal too,” replied Bannon. “I want to bring everything crashing down and destroy all of today’s establishment.”

The tearing down of "EPA, Dept of Education, Paris Accord" as well as not bothering to fill the vast majority of positions left vacant in the decimated State Dept, the unrelenting attack on the 4th estate as "fake news", the constant lies and withholding of what should be public info until outed by leaks and verified by press, then elevating any lie as mere "alternative facts". Bannon is having a successful 1st term.

Trump is a caricature, playing a game, and he feels the goal is for him to win by same means he has used all his life, skirting edges, but so out of the loop as to effectively be a mere figure head.

Comment

Seriously - you honestly think I am being partisan. Fuck both houses has been my mantra for going on 16 years now.

I get that every president has their agenda............

My point is that ultimately in our wonderful system of checks and balances he is not able to ACTUALLY PASS any legislation. You may think Im parsing words, but to the millions of people in this country that dont actually understand our system - they may actually think he hasnt passed anything - when in fact the President of the United States cant pass shit.

No President from Washington on Obama ever actually passed legislation individually - NOT A FUCKING ONE OF THEM! They signed off on legislation that was passed in both the House and Senate (or they vetoed it).

Now I absolutely understand that our current acting President has not been able to build coalition on either side of the aisle giving him the ability to PROPOSE certain legislative actions and have the House and Senate vote to PASS legislation, which he could then sign off on and APPROVE.

His train wreck isnt that he hasnt passed anything - its that he has no fucking plan or ability to build a coalition to get anything done. While his "my way or the highway" approach may have worked well for him in business. It is not going to serve him well as an acting President.

Ever since Bill Clinton, both parties have been more hell bent on destroying the President than actually working together to make this country great.

What made this country great was our ability to discuss issues, take sides, be respectful of each other and work towards a common goal of correcting whatever the issue was at hand. We have to start figuring out how to come together to move forward to a common goal.
                  That's tough to do with a GOP that continually fucks over anyone that isn't rich.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    That's tough to do with a GOP that continually fucks over anyone that isn't rich.
                    Neither side is willing to concede anything on their particular platforms. Everyone has to work together for the betterment of the whole.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lurker765 View Post
                      Would you say that he has had more impact than other Presidents without passing any legislation? EPA, Dept of Education, Paris Accord, etc. His appointees have been very busy making an impact.
                      I honestly don't know. Some legislation, once put into place, becomes very hard to undo. The ACA is a good example. It becomes entrenched.

Most of the executive orders were simply expressions of intent to do things and did not actually change the status quo. Good theater, but not much else.

The cabinet appointments are tougher to figure. They are putting administrative policies into place that could have long-term implications. Some could be undone by whoever the next guy is, but some will last.

Our relationships with other countries have been changed as well. You could call it 'foreign policy' only in the loosest sense of the term. Creating a rift between us and Germany for no good reason is something which will hurt us for years to come. This is certainly an impact.

The practical dismantling of the State Department through attrition is something which will have a long term impact as well. We don't have professionals in several important foreign posts. We're also about 500 essential people down in the Pentagon. That's one reason we don't know where our carrier groups are. I'd say that would qualify as an impact.

There has been some deregulation which appears to benefit major corporations and polluters, but I haven't seen much to benefit small business. Even the Interior guy is pissing off the hunting and fishing groups which supporting him because (surprise) it turns out he is in bed with the oil and gas interests.

Not the question, if I had to say anyone was going to be riffed soon, it would be Scott Pruitt (lied to Congress bigly), and if anyone's administrative actions were going to be reversed by a successor it would be Betsy DeVos. If anyone is going to resign under pressure, it will be Sessions.

So, I guess I'd say there has been some impact. Not more than other presidents. Remember, Obama right away had Lilly Ledbetter and the bailout, which were major legislative accomplishments. And the benchmark is FDR, who did more in 100 days than most presidents do in their entire terms. (And yes, I remember that Trump actually claimed that he did that.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention Paris. We cannot even give formal notice of our intention to leave the agreement for a couple of years, and then we cannot leave it for a year after that. So, that announcement by Trump was typical posturing. Who knows what will change before then? He has changed his mind on every single core issue over the last two years. Who knows if he will still be President when the time comes for us to be in or out?
                      Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 07-20-2017, 02:28 PM.
                      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Something else on foreign policy.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Neither side is willing to concede anything on their particular platforms. Everyone has to work together for the betterment of the whole.
                          I know both parties blow. But the GOP blows so much more..so so much more...so so so much more.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            I know both parties blow. But the GOP blows so much more..so so much more...so so so much more.
                            Exactly, and that's why I have very little tolerance for BG's faux 'independence'.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Cripes................

if you want me to move to the major party that is your opposition, then fine.

I dont vote party lines, rather I vote policy.

Screw you and your lefty talking points.

I AM SPARTUCUS!

Comment

Cripes................

if you want me to move to the major party that is your opposition, then fine.

I dont vote party lines, rather I vote policy.

Screw you and your lefty talking points.

I AM SPARTUCUS!
                                Spartacus wanted universal healthcare....
                                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X