X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nots View Post
    think
    Honestly, I don't care at all about his Muslim ban but if you don't think peaceful protests are enough, what's left besides non-peaceful ones?
    Don't care meaning it's ok, or that you don't like it either?

I'm asking you and everyone else, at what point has he gone too far? This is week 1. The power-drunk Republicans are using him to advance their far right agenda because they've been taken over by the Tea Party so no chance they stand in his way. The Democrats, for the most part, have shown themselves to be cowards, so I don't expect them to offer sufficient resistance either.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Don't care meaning it's ok, or that you don't like it either?

I'm asking you and everyone else, at what point has he gone too far? This is week 1. The power-drunk Republicans are using him to advance their far right agenda because they've been taken over by the Tea Party so no chance they stand in his way. The Democrats, for the most part, have shown themselves to be cowards, so I don't expect them to offer sufficient resistance either.
      Weve halted immigration before, we will halt again.....just a non-issue to me. Honestly, don't care one way or the other. If you want to get worked up about it, I have no problem with that either. Calling for the next step beyond peaceful protests worries me more than whether or not we have more or less Muslim immigrants.
      Far right agenda is hyperbole--- he is the most Union friendly President we've had since LBJ. If the Democrats could get over their blind partisanship, they would see a real opportunity here for union workers--the folks that used to be the backbone of the Democratic Party. But I guess that would mean giving him credit, something that shall not be done. Better to fight for Muslim immigrants and sanctuary cities than actual hard working Union folks.

Comment

Weve halted immigration before, we will halt again.....just a non-issue to me. Honestly, don't care one way or the other. If you want to get worked up about it, I have no problem with that either. Calling for the next step beyond peaceful protests worries me more than whether or not we have more or less Muslim immigrants.
        Far right agenda is hyperbole--- he is the most Union friendly President we've had since LBJ. If the Democrats could get over their blind partisanship, they would see a real opportunity here for union workers--the folks that used to be the backbone of the Democratic Party. But I guess that would mean giving him credit, something that shall not be done. Better to fight for Muslim immigrants and sanctuary cities than actual hard working Union folks.
        Is that really the caee? He harpooned the Carrier union boss and his Labor Sec'y candidate is virulently anti-union.

Comment

Wow--really?
          Really, this nation was founded with a violent response to an authoritarian government. If you leave people no choice but to raise arms, they will. We're well on our way to that.

It will be unfortunate, but rather that than surrender our rights.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Is that really the caee? He harpooned the Carrier union boss and his Labor Sec'y candidate is virulently anti-union.
            Meh-- he met with private sector union leaders on his first full day in office--something Obama, Bush 43, Clinton, Bush 41, Reagan, Carter, Ford and Nixon didn't do. But don't take my word for it-- google what the union leaders had to say after the meeting--the very same Unions that endorsed Clinton. They are singing his praises. Ask yourself why.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post
              Really, this nation was founded with a violent response to an authoritarian government. If you leave people no choice but to raise arms, they will. We're well on our way to that.

It will be unfortunate, but rather that than surrender our rights.
              I would like to think we have have evolved as a nation and democracy itself has evolved since the 18th century.

Comment

I would like to think we have have evolved as a nation and democracy itself has evolved since the 18th century.
                So what do we do when the government makes peaceful protest impossible or render it moot by regulation?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post
                  So what do we do when the government makes peaceful protest impossible or render it moot by regulation?
                  Has that happened? I watched 3M people peacefully protest last weekend. Didn't see any government types impeding them in any way. Another 5000 protested Trump in Philly on Thursday-- no violence. Saw about 600k protest abortion on Friday. No one stopped that one either. Seems like the right to protest peacefully is alive and well.
                  The effectiveness of the protests will be settled at the ballot box, but the right remains.

Comment

Has that happened? I watched 3M people peacefully protest last weekend. Didn't see any government types impeding them in any way. Another 5000 protested Trump in Philly on Thursday-- no violence. Saw about 600k protest abortion on Friday. No one stopped that one either. Seems like the right to protest peacefully is alive and well.
                    The effectiveness of the protests will be settled at the ballot box, but the right remains.
                    My goodness man, you can't POSSIBLY be quoting fact here, can you? I mean assuredly, all the women march protesters were stopped and arrested, no? Or all the other peaceful protests? They were all hassled by the Secret Service, yes?

I guess we'll have to wait and see if Trump turns the IRS against them. I mean no sitting president has ever weaponized the IRS against protesting groups.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'd like to think that we HAVEN'T evolved as a nation beyond our founding principles. I'd like to think that a nation founded by immigrants seeking religious freedom would be humble enough to remember those beginnings. I'd like to think that we've got a leader who's smart enough to look at the FACTS about who's committing terrorist acts in this country and react properly, rather than act cowardly and pick a group of people who couldn't be more down on their luck. I'd like people who proclaim to be Christians to actually act like they've read the book their religion is based on. I'd like those same people to follow the teachings of their messiah as well.

Frankly, with behavior like this from the top, I'm becoming embarrassed to be an American.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        I'd like to think that we HAVEN'T evolved as a nation beyond our founding principles. I'd like to think that a nation founded by immigrants seeking religious freedom would be humble enough to remember those beginnings. I'd like to think that we've got a leader who's smart enough to look at the FACTS about who's committing terrorist acts in this country and react properly, rather than act cowardly and pick a group of people who couldn't be more down on their luck. I'd like people who proclaim to be Christians to actually act like they've read the book their religion is based on. I'd like those same people to follow the teachings of their messiah as well.

Frankly, with behavior like this from the top, I'm becoming embarrassed to be an American.
                        Very well put. Although, you might want to edited out the last line, if you ever want to be a politician, or a lawyer or something .

Comment

Thanks for posting, Lucky. You found 2 far left sites that agree? Colour me shocked.
                          Sites that agree with what? Either Kaylon Johnson was attacked or he wasn't. Either there was a noose in a tree at Baylor or there wasn't. Those are either facts, or they are not facts.

Even in today's America, there are no 'alternative facts'. Facts are facts regardless of whether you question the messenger's politics.
                          Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 01-28-2017, 10:08 PM.
                          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• I read an editorial today which said that former President Obama should become actively involved in the commentary on President Trump's early days in office instead of remaining relatively quiet, in the same manner that former President Bush did when he left office. I do not agree. I think Obama is taking the correct course. I thought the same when President Bush kept his opinions to himself, as difficult as that may have been.

Some have said Obama has an 'obligation' to speak, but at this point I think his obligation is sit back and let the process work.

Anyone agree/disagree?
                            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                              I read an editorial today which said that former President Obama should become actively involved in the commentary on President Trump's early days in office instead of remaining relatively quiet, in the same manner that former President Bush did when he left office. I do not agree. I think Obama is taking the correct course. I thought the same when President Bush kept his opinions to himself, as difficult as that may have been.

Some have said Obama has an 'obligation' to speak, but at this point I think his obligation is sit back and let the process work.

Anyone agree/disagree?
                              No, I agree with this course of action by any former President. They know that the job is simply so difficult that to add in any criticism by a former occupant of the office would be over the top. If the current President asks for advise, give it freely in private, if they don't, refrain and use your power elsewhere.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

OK my friend, you were eager to connect the dots when it came to Hillary, don't be one of those who conveniently forget when it's your guy. I never said they HAD, prohibited peaceful protest, but they are laying a foundation to limit them and or their effectiveness. Start with the unprecedented felony riot charges levied at some 200 plus protesters inauguration day, blockades preventing peaceful assembly, and the attacks against the media, both traditional and social on reporting anything negative about Trump.

My statement stands, should the erosion of our civil liberties constitutional rights continue, there will be violent reactions and rightfully so.

Comment

Working...
                                X