Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm neither pro nor anti-Trump and I'm sure not anti-anti-Trump. I'm pro-USA and We the People. And, while I don't agree with much of the Trump Derangement Syndrome expressed by the usual suspects in this thread, I'm begging someone to do something. Please, for the love of God and all things wholly, would someone with a set of balls (literal or figurative, I'm looking at you Ivanka) please take away his cellphone and Twitter access. Jesus H. Christ, he's an embarrassment.
    Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 06-05-2017, 08:55 PM.
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
      I'm neither pro nor anti-Trump and I'm sure not anti-anti-Trump. I'm pro-USA and We the People. And, while I don't agree with much of the Trump Derangement Syndrome expressed by the usual suspects in this thread, I'm begging someone to do something. Please, for the love of God and all things wholly, would someone with a set of balls (literal or figurative, I'm looking at you Ivanka) please take away his cellphone and Twitter access. Jesus H. Christ, he's an embarrassment.
      Best thing you've said all year, Bernie!

Comment

• Interesting response to a Trump Tweet re: London's Mayor.

They pretty much asked how the US would have reacted had another foreign leader targeted Giuliani for criticism after 9/11.

I'd be interested in some of those in here who support Trumps views on London and it's mayor share thier thoughts.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Interesting response to a Trump Tweet re: London's Mayor.

They pretty much asked how the US would have reacted had another foreign leader targeted Giuliani for criticism after 9/11.

I'd be interested in some of those in here who support Trumps views on London and it's mayor share thier thoughts.
          Not sure you're going to find many supporters other than cbb, and possibly chancellor.
          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• I dont agree with Trump on much of anything he is doing.

Honestly, I dont know enough about the climate change piece to have a real formulated argument. Though in my mind, the truth likely lies somewhere in the middle of both sides.

That said, the last time I tried engaging in a real discussion about the healthcare I got called a troll for honestly answering questions and asking for the same in response. Makes it hard to really continue these conversations, just saying.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
              Not sure you're going to find many supporters other than cbb, and possibly chancellor.
              lol, you must not read my posts if you think this. Not having Trump Derangement Syndrome doesnt mean I'm a supporter.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                Just because Trump says .2 degrees doesn't mean that is really .2 degrees.

President Donald Trump can't be counted on to give accurate information to Americans when violent acts are unfolding abroad. The latest deadly London attacks, like one in the Philippines last week, prompted ...

WHITE HOUSE, citing a study from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology: "If all member nations met their obligations, the impact on the climate would be negligible," curbing temperature rise by "less than 0.2 degrees Celsius in 2100."

THE FACTS: The co-founder of the MIT program on climate change says the administration is citing an outdated report, taken out of context. Jake Jacoby said the actual global impact of meeting targets under the Paris accord would be to curb rising temperatures by 1 degree Celsius, or 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit.

"They found a number that made the point they want to make," Jacoby said. "It's kind of a debate trick."

One degree may not sound like much, but Stefan Rahmstorf, a climate scientist at the Potsdam Institute in Germany, says, "Every tenth of a degree increases the number of unprecedented extreme weather events considerably."
                How can a study from 2015 be that outdated? I didnt get it from Trump, its right here in this long pdf on MIT's website: https://globalchange.mit.edu/sites/d...%20Outlook.pdf
                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• regarding Paris, if I understand correctly the US is going to provide billions to other countries to assist them in meeting their targets. There are no penalties for not attaining said targets and there is actually no way to guarantee the funds we are sending to other countries will actually be used for the purpose intended. I respect that we want to be "the leader", but when there is no way to ensure the proper usage of the funds and that there are not enforceable penalties, it seems like throwing money down the shitter.
                  It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                    regarding Paris, if I understand correctly the US is going to provide billions to other countries to assist them in meeting their targets. There are no penalties for not attaining said targets and there is actually no way to guarantee the funds we are sending to other countries will actually be used for the purpose intended. I respect that we want to be "the leader", but when there is no way to ensure the proper usage of the funds and that there are not enforceable penalties, it seems like throwing money down the shitter.
                    I understand this premise, are you also opposed to the US spending billions to force it's ideal of democracy on other nations? Be it covert or overt military action?

Comment

• I have stated this before:
                      I dont believe that the US should be spending billions to police the world or to try and spread democracy by force or intrigue. Every attempt has been an utter and abject failure. You cant install a democracy if the people there have no idea what that means to them and if they dont want it.

I also believe that we should get out of the pockets of the Middle East. We have enough oil to be self dependent while we continue to further alternate energy sources. We may never get completely off oil, but its difficult to take our government seriously related to human rights issues in the Middle East, while we continue to send them billions of dollars. If the Middle East had not oil, they would have no marketable skill or products to even compete in the global market.

Comment

regarding Paris, if I understand correctly the US is going to provide billions to other countries to assist them in meeting their targets. There are no penalties for not attaining said targets and there is actually no way to guarantee the funds we are sending to other countries will actually be used for the purpose intended. I respect that we want to be "the leader", but when there is no way to ensure the proper usage of the funds and that there are not enforceable penalties, it seems like throwing money down the shitter.
                        Do you have a link for this? I haven't seen this anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                          How can a study from 2015 be that outdated? I didnt get it from Trump, its right here in this long pdf on MIT's website: https://globalchange.mit.edu/sites/d...%20Outlook.pdf
                          I actually read that boring monograph, and Trump's figure is indeed out of context. The paper does indeed say that warming can be reduced by 1 degree Celsius. The 0.2 degree Celsius cited clearly refers to additional warming reductions which can be achieved.

It's not only a debate trick. It's an old defense lawyer trick. Find some isolated out-of-context figure and use it to obfuscate the issue.

A similar trick is using an anomaly to power an argument. A great example of this is the famous '18-year period' in which the rate of global warming was negligible. It only worked if you started the period with that one anomalous year.

We talked a lot before about 'anti-intellectualism' here, and some questioned whether it existed. Here in post-truth anti-science America, who knows what exists?
                          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Do you have a link for this? I haven't seen this anywhere.
                            In announcing his decision to exit the Paris accord, President Trump scorned the Green Climate Fund. Does the United States contribute an outsize share?

How much have rich countries pledged?

Industrialized countries have voluntarily pledged $10.3 billion since 2013 to help poorer nations reduce greenhouse gas emissions and address the effects of climate change. The United States has pledged by far the most — $3 billion, twice that of the second-largest pledger, Japan.

Edit to add:
                            Large countries that have not donated include: China, Russia and India

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                              I actually read that boring monograph, and Trump's figure is indeed out of context. The paper does indeed say that warming can be reduced by 1 degree Celsius.
                              which page is this on?

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...mate-fund.html

How much have rich countries pledged?

Industrialized countries have voluntarily pledged $10.3 billion since 2013 to help poorer nations reduce greenhouse gas emissions and address the effects of climate change. The United States has pledged by far the most — $3 billion, twice that of the second-largest pledger, Japan.

Edit to add:
                                Large countries that have not donated include: China, Russia and India
                                fwiw (to be accurate), the Green Climate Fund contributions, which you are referencing, are actually independent of the Paris climate accord; the amounts each country contributes are completely voluntary and set by each country themselves; in addition to withdrawing from the Paris accord Trump also announced that the US will stop contributing to this fund.
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X