This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Breitbart always sang his praises too. I think Infowars frequently said he was the greatest POTUS ever--a true American hero and statesman on par with the founding fathers..
    Are you equating Breitbart and Infowars to the traditional liberal media? Those are tiny little outlets compared to places like NYT, WP, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, etc.
    Last edited by cardboardbox; 05-22-2017, 09:45 PM.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
      Are you equating Breitbart and Infowars to the traditional liberal media? Those are tiny little outlets compared to places like NYT, WP, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, etc.
      You identified "the media." You didn't specify liberal media or traditional media or mainstream media. You simply said "the media" made it seem like Obama walked on water. In speaking so monolithically, you marginalized conservative media, which was hugely critical of Obama, as well as far left media, which was also very critical of him, believe it or not. The idea that conservative and past that even fringe right media sources don't have a voice and influence is just not accurate. I could have added talk radio to my list, which is completely dominated by far right voices like Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, and Savage, all of whom were highly critical of Obama. Those voices were loud and widespread. It has long been an amusing tactic of Fox News and other really big conservative voices, like Limbaugh, to label media outlets with less viewership and influence than themselves as "mainstream," painting themselves as outsiders. Fox is not a little fish. The talk radio conservative titans are not little fishes, especially within the subsection of society that makes up consistent voters. Lots of people heard lots of criticisms of Obama through such sources. And a much smaller minority heard nearly as much, but different criticism from places like the Daily Kos.

But I do agree that what I would consider more respectable, reliable, and centrist sources like the NYT and WP have hammered Trump way more than they did Obama. I still maintain they have very good cause to do so. And on top of that cause, Trump has been openly antagonistic with them, painting them as his true opposition party. His answer to their criticisms has been to attempt to de-legitimize them. He has attempted to elevate fringe outlets, like Breitbart and Infowars to their level, because they paint him more favorably. His criticisms in places like the NYT, and on MSNBC, don't seem to hurt him much with his base, who in large part buy his version of reality in totality, and get support for that in their echo chambers.
      Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-22-2017, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• Trump must tweet drunk............I should know.
        Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 05-23-2017, 07:38 AM.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Trump must tweet drunk............I should know.
          This is funny right here! FUNNY!
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• OK -

point 1 - I am not a Trump supporter - dont like him or much of anything he is trying to accomplish. The only 2 things I can say I agree with are the Supreme Court appointment and his speech to the Islamic states about terrorism

point 2 - I am NOT Condoning his lying!

point 3 - I dont condone any of our leaders lying - whether one believes its pandering or just playing politics

We have allowed our leaders to lie to us for decades. I am saying we are in this boat because we have allowed that to happen.

Apparently, from the feedback that I have read - it appears that its the volume of lying that is the under current that has caused everyone to start saying we should have truthful leaders. All I am saying is that we should have been demanding that for a lot longer time than just current.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

centrist sources like the NYT and WP
              LOL. They have an agenda they push and its not centrist at all.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                LOL. They have an agenda they push and its not centrist at all.
                I'd concede left of center on those two, but they are certainly not uniformly and extremely leftist, and at least they base their bias on facts, by and large, which is all I ask for in a news source.

But the larger point remains that you were being very selective in suggesting Obama was unscathed from media criticism. He was very much criticized, often and loudly, and most infuriatingly, often with little to no basis in facts and evidence. That is not to say that he didn't warrant a lot of legitimate criticism too, and even the sources you identify as left of center doled some of that out. THE NYT and WP ran stories critical of Obama. All I see from the fringe right is spin and deniel on Trump.

Comment

Trump must tweet drunk............I should know.

LOL...oh, I saw the drunk tweet...part of the benefits of getting up at 1:00 am.

Spot on, BTW.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

I'd concede left of center on those two, but they are certainly not uniformly and extremely leftist, and at least the base their bias on facts, which is all I ask for in a news source.

But the larger point remains that you were being very selective in suggesting Obama was unscathed from media criticism.
                    at this point, May 2009, the media (no I dont include Fox as they cant drive a narrative by themselves against the other 7 outlets I listed) was madly in love with Obama. In later years they did occasionally critique him, but they were firmly back in his corner in 2012, and in his assumed successor's corner in 2016.

In 2009, Obama took a victory lap at the WP building: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ina...gton_post.html

The WP was already at war with Trump once they woke up from their post election hangover. They applaud and cheer when bad Trump news leaks out.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Applause in the newsroom as the Russia-leak scoop breaks the Hollywood Access record for most readers per minute</p>&mdash; Glenn Kessler (@GlennKesslerWP) <a href="https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/864231063295582209">May 15, 2017</a></blockquote>
                    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• Or they just made $X in advertising due to high click volumes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        LOL...oh, I saw the drunk tweet...part of the benefits of getting up at 1:00 am.

Spot on, BTW.
                        I should have saved it, but it was kind of harsh, though very true--trust me I have to bite my tongue daily when it comes to that guy.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I just saw part of the Brennan testimony before the HIC. Guys, I know that Trey "Malfoy" Gowdy was formerly a prosecutor, but please don't judge the profession by his performance today. A good prosecutor elicits relevant facts through the use of carefully crafted questions. Gowdy was so determined to hit a partisan home run that his questions got sloppy, and he let Brennan blow the hearing wide open.
                          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                            Apparently, from the feedback that I have read - it appears that its the volume of lying that is the under current that has caused everyone to start saying we should have truthful leaders. All I am saying is that we should have been demanding that for a lot longer time than just current.
                            I thought about this a decent bit back when the Oroville Damn a bit north of me here was at risk of failing. They evacuated a large portion of population for a few days, but then the waters receded and people returned. There was bad weather on the horizon though, and they were speaking to some public official about what would happen... and he gave the usual line... stay calm, plans in place, all will be fine, we know what we are doing... when I'm pretty sure the real answer is, If this damn fails, a lot of people are going to die. Even if we try to get everyone out, not everyone is going to make it.

Same thing with terrorism. The truth is, one guy, properly motivated, can blow up a concert and kill a lot of people. There's not a whole hell of a lot we can do about that. Is it leadership to just say, we will try to stop it, but things are going to happen.

I think we all expect a level of white lying... "in a perfect world, here is what I am going to do." I'd even give Trump a pass on the Wall, if he intended on doing it. It's a stupid, expensive idea... but whatever, people wanted it. I'll give him a pass on saying he would ban Muslims (even though I think it's a terrible, useless, and illegal idea), because he tried. But the constant, that didn't happen, I never said that, they never did that, I said that but never actually meant it... cripes... there should be some accountability.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Dipshit in Chief takes a remembrance dedication (dedicating parts of the Berlin Wall and the WT Towers) and turns it into a bully pulpit to lecture Nato allies on their responsibility to the American taxpayer.

As the cameras pan the other Nato leaders you can actually see them thinking--What a dick.

Oh and he's now calling for an investigation to find the leakers in Washington, he should start by looking in the Mirror.

I swear this guy reminds me of Mel Brooks role as the King in HIstory of the World. It's good to be the King........

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Dipshit in Chief takes a remembrance dedication (dedicating parts of the Berlin Wall and the WT Towers) and turns it into a bully pulpit to lecture Nato allies on their responsibility to the American taxpayer.

As the cameras pan the other Nato leaders you can actually see them thinking--What a dick.

Oh and he's now calling for an investigation to find the leakers in Washington, he should start by looking in the Mirror.

I swear this guy reminds me of Mel Brooks role as the King in HIstory of the World. It's good to be the King........
                                more
                                http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b034684b0fd30b

Comment

Working...
                                X