Supreme Court of the United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    I never said you called me a racist, I said you've accused me of labelling others racist, and that's something only the right wingers here engage in. 20% of blacks in Florida being taken off the voting rolls this cycle, but Chance is silent on that, ready to call out any racist who would speak ill of ALASKANS! Its idiotic. He said "for the sake of discussion, we'll leave the caucasian population of Alaska out of this..." For the sake of discussion, let's make an assumption that you didn't say, and use it to label you a racist! Y'know... for the sake of discussion!

You labeled mith a racist by misquoting him. He said nothing about Natives or Indigenous people, or anything of the sort, it was all the right wingers made an assumption, and ran with it. I'd say that's pretty... asshole-ish?

Perhaps I just throw asshole around too easily. I would admit I can be an asshole at times, and even called mith an occasional asshole in my post... so maybe I should withhold that word, as it holds greater meaning for others than myself. Much like the phrase 'fuck the police'. Sorry for upsetting folks.

Do you stand by your post calling mith a racist, if you see he never mentioned Natives?
    I don't call people on RJ names.

Comment

You guys are assholes. I know Mith can also be an asshole at times, but these disingenuous racism claims are pathetic.
      I call both mith and his racism accusers assholes within my premise, so again, I obviously don't take it as seriously as others. Dennis Leary and NWA really set me up for failure.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        I don't call people on RJ names.
        An inference is the same thing.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

An inference is the same thing.
          You would be mistaken if you thought I inferred that Mith was a racist.

Comment

An old stereotype is that Native Americans cannot hold their liquor. To label Native Americans as drunks would be considered racist.
            Is this not in reference to mith's post?

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              Now that Kavanaugh is seated on the Court, 538 published a story on how he will change the balance. The conclusion is not much. Kennedy was seen as the swing Justice but he was actually very conservative. The moderate reputation comes from a handful of high profile cases where he sided with the liberals, notably on gay and lesbian rights. On close cases, he voted conservative over 70% of the time.
              Since July, when President Trump announced his most recent nomination to the Supreme Court, FiveThirtyEight has been analyzing the effects of a potential Justic…

J
              I largely agree. I don't think replacing Scalia and Kennedy with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh will dramatically change how the Court rule on the vast majority of cases. The Court was solidly conservative before Kennedy's retirement. The interesting thing to watch, beyond Kavanaugh's votes, will be Roberts. Will the "liberals" be in any 5-4 majorities, and if/when they are, who will be the 5th Justice most likely to join them, and on what type of cases? Obviously, if Trump is in a position to replace either RBG or Breyer, the shift would presumably be far more impactful on outcomes.

Comment

• I guess I read Mith's post as a mocking stereotype of all Alaskans, regardless of race/ethnicity, jumping off of the idea that the climate with its cold temperatures and limited daylight during the winters drives people to drink, often to excess. I didn't read it as racially aimed at all. I've seen the same said of almost all arctic cultures, including Siberia and Scandinavia.

Comment

Is this not in reference to mith's post?
                  Of course it is reference to mith's post. It is NOT inferring that mith is a racist. Some did not understand how mith's comment could be construed as racist, I was clarifying it not agreeing with it.

Sometimes innocent comments sound like racist comments but are not meant that way. Both righties and lefties like to jump on them as gotcha moments.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                    I largely agree. I don't think replacing Scalia and Kennedy with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh will dramatically change how the Court rule on the vast majority of cases. The Court was solidly conservative before Kennedy's retirement. The interesting thing to watch, beyond Kavanaugh's votes, will be Roberts. Will the "liberals" be in any 5-4 majorities, and if/when they are, who will be the 5th Justice most likely to join them, and on what type of cases? Obviously, if Trump is in a position to replace either RBG or Breyer, the shift would presumably be far more impactful on outcomes.
                    This is a great post - and one that makes the last month's shenanigans that much more frustrating.
                    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                      This is a great post - and one that makes the last month's shenanigans that much more frustrating.
                      The core issue is that the Supreme Court nominations are purely political now, along party lines. Rather than looking for the best judge, regardless of political leaning, each party is looking to fill the court with representatives on the extremes. Which is concerning, because regardless of what party you prefer the extremes are scary. The court needs balance. And at any point in time we're just a couple retirements away from the scales tipping too far in one direction.

Comment

Of course it is reference to mith's post. It is NOT inferring that mith is a racist. Some did not understand how mith's comment could be construed as racist, I was clarifying it not agreeing with it.

Sometimes innocent comments sound like racist comments but are not meant that way. Both righties and lefties like to jump on them as gotcha moments.
                        You were making the argument that criticizing mith's post as racist was legitimate. Unbelievable you cant see the inference that he's racist.

Comment

I guess I read Mith's post as a mocking stereotype of all Alaskans, regardless of race/ethnicity, jumping off of the idea that the climate with its cold temperatures and limited daylight during the winters drives people to drink, often to excess. I didn't read it as racially aimed at all. I've seen the same said of almost all arctic cultures, including Siberia and Scandinavia.
                          Spot on. I'd say the same about my hometown. Long winters lead to lack of sunlight and excessive drinking.

Comment

I wonder how much perception will matter. By raising a massive stink, especially with such poor cause, the liberals created the national perception that the change is not only major, it's permanent. How will it change the strike zone at lower levels. Of course the wave of Trump appointments will have a similar effect.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                              So, I know I’m late to this party, but I wish you all a belated but very happy Indigenous Peoples’ Day.

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                                Unless you take at face value the idea that an allegation (or multiple allegations) of sexual assault against a nominee for the US Supreme Court should be taken seriously and investigated whether the nominee is otherwise qualified or no, whether the nominee is perceived as an extreme conservative/liberal or as a centrist, etc. I guess I still take at face value that the allegations merited investigation.

Comment

Working...
                                X