Supreme Court of the United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    I would agree that Daily Wire is pretty good. I like Shapiro as he is willing to call out Trump when he screws the pooch, plus he states he didnt vote for him. I dont agree with him on everything, but I like him.
    I like Ben Shapiro, too, but I think many left-leaning people would find his snark triggering, so I don't know that I could recommend him.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      I respect you so went to read me some Powerline.com and I got a site that sells power accessories, lol.
      Brain lapse...sorry. Correct site address is http://www.powerlineblog.com/

Blog name is Power Line. They were Time's blog of the year many years ago.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Brain lapse...sorry. Correct site address is http://www.powerlineblog.com/

Blog name is Power Line. They were Time's blog of the year many years ago.
        Found it. The first few lines from their top story aren't promising for thoughtfulness:

From the Islamic Republic

Herewith a round-up of recent news items from President Obama’s friends in the Islamic Republic of Iran. If the authorities of the regime weren’t terror-loving murderers giving their all for Allah, they might be funny:

...but I'll try to check it out in more depth anyway.

Comment

Found it. The first few lines from their top story aren't promising for thoughtfulness:

...but I'll try to check it out in more depth anyway.
          checking it out immediately!
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• i kind of like http://nationalinterest.org/ for war stuff. i don't read it a lot.

Comment

• I mentioned this in another thread. What does everyone think of the proposition that Kavanaugh is more Rhenquist-like than Scalia-like? What about much more like Rhenquist?

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Ginsburg was like Scalia, friends since the 1980s, they just had different judicial philosophies.
                If you can’t disagree ardently with your colleagues about some issues of law and yet personally still be friends, get another job.. is how Scalia once described their lifetime appointments. As annoyed as you might be about his zinging dissent, he’s so utterly charming, so amusing, so sometimes outrageous, you can’t help but say, ‘I’m glad that he’s my friend or he’s my colleague,’ Ginsburg said. Sometimes, she said, she had to pinch herself to not laugh in the courtroom when Scalia said something audacious.

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  I mentioned this in another thread. What does everyone think of the proposition that Kavanaugh is more Rhenquist-like than Scalia-like? What about much more like Rhenquist?

J
                  Kavanaugh will vote in favour of protecting partisan gerrymandering, so maybe Republicans can win the white house while losing by an even larger margin of popular vote next time...

That's what the people want, right? More partisan gerrymandering and crack down on voter ID laws to limit minority voting, while leaving massive holes in the security of the voting system so Vlad can help push over the top with some last minute adjustments... what a great democracy you guys are running. You should look to export it!
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Scalia and Ginsburg were close friends. They even look like they could be related.

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                    Kavanaugh will vote in favour of protecting partisan gerrymandering, so maybe Republicans can win the white house while losing by an even larger margin of popular vote next time...

That's what the people want, right? More partisan gerrymandering and crack down on voter ID laws to limit minority voting, while leaving massive holes in the security of the voting system so Vlad can help push over the top with some last minute adjustments... what a great democracy you guys are running. You should look to export it!
                    Gerrymandering is in the eye of the beholder. Both sides do it if they have the votes. The only kind that has ever proven durable is when heavily ethnic districts are formed, largely because the ethnic majority of the distict cooperates. We saw a lot of this in the 1960s. Blacks wanted to elect black candidates and Republicans were happy to assist.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      I mentioned this in another thread. What does everyone think of the proposition that Kavanaugh is more Rhenquist-like than Scalia-like? What about much more like Rhenquist?

J
                      Scalia was an intellectual whose biggest focus was on the art/science of adjudication, particularly around constitutional and statutory interpretation. He was an ivory tower philosopher and, while his decisions often felt partisan, it also often felt like the means of deciding the case was more important than the ends/outcome. Rehnquist was a political operative and was far less driven/constrained by judicial ideology and therefore often appeared to be more ends-focused in his judicial decisions, and therefore more partisan from a traditional political viewpoint. Kavanaugh's career path, decisions, statements and writings would appear to make him far more Rehnquist-like than Scalia-like under that perspective.

Comment

Scalia was an intellectual whose biggest focus was on the art/science of adjudication, particularly around constitutional and statutory interpretation. He was an ivory tower philosopher and, while his decisions often felt partisan, it also often felt like the means of deciding the case was more important than the ends/outcome. Rehnquist was a political operative and was far less driven/constrained by judicial ideology and therefore often appeared to be more ends-focused in his judicial decisions, and therefore more partisan from a traditional political viewpoint. Kavanaugh's career path, decisions, statements and writings would appear to make him far more Rehnquist-like than Scalia-like under that perspective.
                        Gotta love the way a lawyers says yes.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I think the narrow ruling in Masterpiece Cakeshop will probably now get broader with a rightward Court shift, allowing private individuals/professionals/business owners to refuse goods or services that could be viewed as facilitating or endorsing same-sex marriage, but I don't think the Court (or the American people) will support denying goods or services to homosexuals (married or otherwise) unrelated to the "sacrament" of marriage, e.g., I don't think they'd let a hotel owner refuse a king-bed room to a gay couple. We'll see.
                          And to possibly test that theory, here comes Masterpiece Cakeshop II...

Assuming the Colorado Civil Rights Commission treated/treats Phillips' expression of faith with acknowledgment and respect this time, rather than with open contempt, before determining that his refusal to make a cake to celebrate the anniversary of a person's gender transition violated Colorado's anti-discrimination laws, will the Courts expand the narrow ruling from Masterpiece Cakeshop I to clarify that he has the constitutional right to refuse to make a cake for an occasion that he views as contrary to his religious convictions?

Comment

And to possibly test that theory, here comes Masterpiece Cakeshop II...

Assuming the Colorado Civil Rights Commission treated/treats Phillips' expression of faith with acknowledgment and respect this time, rather than with open contempt, before determining that his refusal to make a cake to celebrate the anniversary of a person's gender transition violated Colorado's anti-discrimination laws, will the Courts expand the narrow ruling from Masterpiece Cakeshop I to clarify that he has the constitutional right to refuse to make a cake for an occasion that he views as contrary to his religious convictions?
                            An agenda-driven government panel coercing an artist to create art in violation of his conscience is an act of pure political violence. There is no way to do this to a citizen with acknowledgement and respect. This is positively Orwellian. I don't care what your general feelings are about gay rights and religion - in this case, the LGBT activists are the fascist dicks, and the Christian baker is the victim. I'm glad he's fighting back, and I hope he annihilates them in court.
                            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• the whole case seems odd to me.

the cakemaker will sell any cake to anyone, yes even if you are gay. iirc, he'll even sell you the ingredients to decorate the cake the way you prefer. so what, exactly, is the deprivation here?

I am astounded that no one on the right has found a very liberal cakemaker and demanded that he/she decorate a cake with a topping of "TRUMP RULEZ!" or even "MEXICANS ARE RAPISTS" or God forbid, even worse

would that cakemaker have to do that decoration? if not, why not?
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                                the whole case seems odd to me.

the cakemaker will sell any cake to anyone, yes even if you are gay. iirc, he'll even sell you the ingredients to decorate the cake the way you prefer. so what, exactly, is the deprivation here?
                                There isn't any. As sheep stated - the LGBT activists are being the facists here.
                                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                                Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Working...
                                X