No announcement yet.

Supreme Court of the United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's got enough of a record on the DC Circuit that there will likely be no real surprises with this guy. He's basically another Gorsuch or Alito. Which given that there were surprises with Kennedy means that this shifts the Court materially to the right. I have little doubt he'll be confirmed. Elections have consequences.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      He's got enough of a record on the DC Circuit that there will likely be no real surprises with this guy. He's basically another Gorsuch or Alito. Which given that there were surprises with Kennedy means that this shifts the Court materially to the right. I have little doubt he'll be confirmed. Elections have consequences.
      for whatever reason, the last several SCOTUS judges to be confirmed and then not be predictable in their philosophy all have been Republican appointees. The Dems have had much better luck in getting strict ideologues (if that is a virtue is debatable).
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        for whatever reason, the last several SCOTUS judges to be confirmed and then not be predictable in their philosophy all have been Republican appointees. The Dems have had much better luck in getting strict ideologues (if that is a virtue is debatable).
        Which is wholly unsurprising, as prior GOP presidents lacked the intestinal fortitude for another Borking. Trump doesn't give a rip; hence we've had two solid picks from my point of view.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Which is wholly unsurprising, as prior GOP presidents lacked the intestinal fortitude for another Borking. Trump doesn't give a rip; hence we've had two solid picks from my point of view.
          Which is one reason he's a shoein for re-election if he chooses to run.

Which Justice will be next to retire/vacate their seat and when? I'm going with Thomas next year.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• There's a theory going around out there that Kennedy has been in negotiations for over a year with the administration about Kavanaugh. Supposedly, he said that he'd retire as long as his "protege" got the nomination.

So now we've got a Supreme Court where justices are in effect, able to name their successors?
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• you probably mean this "theory" from an NBC News reporter:

Leigh Ann Caldwell

@LACaldwellDC

I’ve deleted this tweet because it incorrectly implies a transactional nature in Kennedy’s replacement. I am told by a source who was not directly part of the talks that Kennedy provided Pres. Trump/ WH a list of acceptable replacements. (1/2) pic.twitter.com/ptxJmrbH9S
              11:19 AM - Jul 10, 2018

the media and Trump critics are getting played like chumps, over and over and over. it's a piece of cake to get both groups to take the bait.

IF Kennedy offered any "list" then that would be an interesting angle. but as always, the overreach buries the possible story (though I wouldn't trust this reporter). it's like a cousin of "the coverup is always worse than the crime."

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

you probably mean this "theory" from an NBC News reporter:

Leigh Ann Caldwell

@LACaldwellDC

I’ve deleted this tweet because it incorrectly implies a transactional nature in Kennedy’s replacement. I am told by a source who was not directly part of the talks that Kennedy provided Pres. Trump/ WH a list of acceptable replacements. (1/2) pic.twitter.com/ptxJmrbH9S

the media and Trump critics are getting played like chumps, over and over and over. it's a piece of cake to get both groups to take the bait.

IF Kennedy offered any "list" then that would be an interesting angle. but as always, the overreach buries the possible story (though I wouldn't trust this reporter). it's like a cousin of "the coverup is always worse than the crime."
                Meh, I don't know...it's the old "where there's smoke, they're fire" adage. What is a sitting Supco justice doing giving the Administration a potential list of acceptable replacements? Isn't that the job of the WH staff?

But I will agree that in the zeal to break a story in the 24 hour news cycle, nobody is exercising enough caution.

But on another note, thankfully the Times supposedly devoted SIX reporters to poor Alan Dershowitz being shunned in vacation country for rich folk.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  Meh, I don't know...it's the old "where there's smoke, they're fire" adage. What is a sitting Supco justice doing giving the Administration a potential list of acceptable replacements? Isn't that the job of the WH staff?
                  how do we know that Kennedy gave a potential list? based on her reporting? yet you're still buying it?

is it possible he gave a list? I guess. credible evidence would be nice. even better would be finding out if this would be standard practice or an alarming breach of protocol, based on the last decades of R and D selections. I don't know what they did when leaving. Kennedy doesn't at all strike me as the one who would set a precedent to play blackmail, but we'll see.

my bottom line is that if you get info on social media regarding the initial, then-retracted tweet this morning, but there is nothing in your timeline from anyone who would correct the record, then it might be time to consider whether you're living in a bubble.

and seriously, I don't mean to be too critical, given that there are mass amounts of people on both sides now who wouldn't even be willing to look in this thread at the risk of finding out contrary info. I give you credit for that. but the amount of propaganda out there is terrifying, and if you had gotten wind of the pullback before noon and posted it to your friends on social media, that would help in a small way to stem the tide of, well, "fake news" for want of a better term.

obviously the Trumpers sure as heck have no interest in such clarifications. but the opposition won't help itself if it mimics the inaccuracies.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

how do we know that Kennedy gave a potential list? based on her reporting? yet you're still buying it?

is it possible he gave a list? I guess. credible evidence would be nice. even better would be finding out if this would be standard practice or an alarming breach of protocol, based on the last decades of R and D selections. I don't know what they did when leaving. Kennedy doesn't at all strike me as the one who would set a precedent to play blackmail, but we'll see.

my bottom line is that if you get info on social media regarding the initial, then-retracted tweet this morning, but there is nothing in your timeline from anyone who would correct the record, then it might be time to consider whether you're living in a bubble.

and seriously, I don't mean to be too critical, given that there are mass amounts of people on both sides now who wouldn't even be willing to look in this thread at the risk of finding out contrary info. I give you credit for that. but the amount of propaganda out there is terrifying, and if you had gotten wind of the pullback before noon and posted it to your friends on social media, that would help in a small way to stem the tide of, well, "fake news" for want of a better term.

obviously the Trumpers sure as heck have no interest in such clarifications. but the opposition won't help itself if it mimics the inaccuracies.
                    Bottom line is that we now live in a different time for Journalists. Yes, there will be rushes to judgement and posting of somewhat inaccurate information, that may later be proven to be accurate. I do find it interesting that I haven't seen any push back from the WH on the story that Kennedy at least had influence in who was named to be his successor. Could be out there and I just haven't seen it, but...

And there's simply no time for proper vetting anymore in the "me first" rush. Not long ago you ran stories through layers of editors and management. Now, if you're not 1st, you're last. So while still unacceptable, tweets like these are wholly understandable. The 24 hour cycle is tarnishing the business in ways that we can't even foresee yet, but the erosion in trust by the public is the worst so far...doesn't help that the CIC calls out journalists each and every day as intentionally creating "fake news", when it's simply some poor schlub trying to keep up with the competition.

Mistakes are nothing new, newspapers have had correction items for decades, if not longer. It's just that it's a lot faster, and much more public these days if you make a mistake.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• "Now, if you're not 1st, you're last. So while still unacceptable, tweets like these are wholly understandable."

not understandable. at all. the damage done is 100x worse than the "scoop" that no one in the public even notices.

there have been dozens and dozens of major media errors on Twitter in the past year, and they are NOT understandable.
                      get it right. if you're not accurate, you're last. and reporters with 9 scoops and 1 disastrous error are not given a grade of 90 pct by their editors (one of those CNN guys just left last week, having destroyed his reputation).

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        Which is one reason he's a shoein for re-election if he chooses to run.

Which Justice will be next to retire/vacate their seat and when? I'm going with Thomas next year.

J
                        Yes, very likely within 2 years. I've read that he's not interested in staying on until he's dead or almost dead.
                        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Kennedy's son helped secure the Trump family business around $1Bn in loans when nobody else would touch him... you could argue that Trump has no knowledge of those types of things, except there's a video of Trump saying "we love your boy and all the great things he's doing with us" or whatever... so yeah, they're very very friendly. Like $1Bn worth of friendly.

Also, turns out Gorsuch was a former Kennedy court clerk as well as Kavanaugh.... hmm, both SC nominees coming highly recommended by Kennedy, both create "big wins" for Trump...

So add it up:

Kennedy gives:

*the appearance that he's influencing his son to give Trump $1Bn in loans.

*2nd "big win" for Trump

Trump gives:

*ability to handpick 1 SC seat.

*ability to handpick replacement for his own SC seat.

Bottom line, its obvious that there's a deal when you look at the facts. It might not be illegal, but its blatant corruption, not hidden at all. That's why the reporter "jumped the gun" on the story about picking the replacement... all the dots line up.

Just my take.
                          Last edited by Teenwolf; 07-11-2018, 02:05 AM. Reason: Changed "staffers" to "court clerks"
                          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

"Now, if you're not 1st, you're last. So while still unacceptable, tweets like these are wholly understandable."

not understandable. at all. the damage done is 100x worse than the "scoop" that no one in the public even notices.

there have been dozens and dozens of major media errors on Twitter in the past year, and they are NOT understandable.
                            get it right. if you're not accurate, you're last. and reporters with 9 scoops and 1 disastrous error are not given a grade of 90 pct by their editors (one of those CNN guys just left last week, having destroyed his reputation).
                            No, again, while it's understandable, it's not acceptable. You can't push people day after day, hour after hour, to provide content for multiple platforms, and not expect them to not make mistakes. People are human, and the drive by management to be first is going to lead to sloppiness. Which as I said, is inevitable. Which is also why newspapers have had corrections sections forever, even though there was far less pressure a few years ago.

Accuracy is something that every journalist strives for above all else, but mistakes are going to happen, it's inevitable.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

you probably mean this "theory" from an NBC News reporter:

Leigh Ann Caldwell

@LACaldwellDC

It's hardly surprising. The vast bulk of the media loathes Trump, and long past reached the point where any journalistic standards matter any more.

Edit to add: an even funnier one, from the WaPo no less: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3fdc1957e5ac

WaPo's source: Clickhole.com. LO-freaking-L.

And, yes, they corrected it....after over four hours.

At this rate, I'm expecting this to be reported as truth soon: https://babylonbee.com/news/ruth-bad...court-session/
                              Last edited by chancellor; 07-11-2018, 08:05 AM.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                                Kennedy's son helped secure the Trump family business around $1Bn in loans when nobody else would touch him... you could argue that Trump has no knowledge of those types of things, except there's a video of Trump saying "we love your boy and all the great things he's doing with us" or whatever... so yeah, they're very very friendly. Like $1Bn worth of friendly.

Also, turns out Gorsuch was a former Kennedy court clerk as well as Kavanaugh.... hmm, both SC nominees coming highly recommended by Kennedy, both create "big wins" for Trump...

So add it up:

Kennedy gives:

*the appearance that he's influencing his son to give Trump $1Bn in loans.

*2nd "big win" for Trump

Trump gives:

*ability to handpick 1 SC seat.

*ability to handpick replacement for his own SC seat.

Bottom line, its obvious that there's a deal when you look at the facts. It might not be illegal, but its blatant corruption, not hidden at all. That's why the reporter "jumped the gun" on the story about picking the replacement... all the dots line up.

Just my take.
                                If you were on the far-right you would have on of these
                                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Working...
                                X