Supreme Court of the United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCOTUS DAY! I'm excited!!
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• So if its Barrett, and assuming she cant get confirmed, is that a strategy to fire up the base for mid terms?
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
        So if its Barrett, and assuming she cant get confirmed, is that a strategy to fire up the base for mid terms?
        Yes, I think that's the way he'll go. Either she gets confirmed and it's a reliable vote for the right (presumably) or she can't get confirmed and the base gets fired up because of that. Seems like win-win for Trump.

Comment

So if its Barrett, and assuming she cant get confirmed, is that a strategy to fire up the base for mid terms?
          Did I miss something? Why couldn’t/wouldn’t she get confirmed?
          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
            Did I miss something? Why couldn’t/wouldn’t she get confirmed?
            Presumably the most overt anti-abortionist out of the 4 possible nominees. But the drama she would create on the left would be so juicy it might be worth it even if she doesnt get confirmed.

Comment

• Im generally fine with centrist/conservative justices. That said, I dont believe that we should be trying to put a genie back in the bottle.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• latest rumors seem to be pointing to Kavanaugh.

Comment

• Barrett is only 46 and Trump nominated her to her first bench. She has written extensively as a law school Professor, but not as a Judge. A lot of people feel she will be nominated, but not yet. Kavanaugh is drawing fire from the right, for what that's worth. The newcomer seems to be an old name, Hardiman. He was reputed to be the runner-up when Gorsuch was announced.

If I were a betting guy, I would sit on my wallet.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Presumably the most overt anti-abortionist out of the 4 possible nominees. But the drama she would create on the left would be so juicy it might be worth it even if she doesnt get confirmed.
                    How can the Dems stop her. The only way she gets stopped is by Republican no votes.
                    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      Barrett is only 46 and Trump nominated her to her first bench. She has written extensively as a law school Professor, but not as a Judge. A lot of people feel she will be nominated, but not yet. Kavanaugh is drawing fire from the right, for what that's worth. The newcomer seems to be an old name, Hardiman. He was reputed to be the runner-up when Gorsuch was announced.

If I were a betting guy, I would sit on my wallet.

J
                      Sure you don't want to suggest Ted Cruz again?

Comment

• Kavanaugh is the nominee.
                        Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-09-2018, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• W o o t.

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                          Sure you don't want to suggest Ted Cruz again?
                          For President in 2020?

Sure. Why not. He came a close second in 2016. Pence is probably beatable. Once he gets the nomination, who's going to beat him?

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                            How can the Dems stop her. The only way she gets stopped is by Republican no votes.
                            and Murkowski and Collins like to threaten to vote no.

Comment

• https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/o...urt-trump.html
                              don't know if this heals any wounds, but from nytimes.com guest op-ed from a Yale Law School professor:

"The nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to be the next Supreme Court justice is President Trump’s finest hour, his classiest move. Last week the president promised to select “someone with impeccable credentials, great intellect, unbiased judgment, and deep reverence for the laws and Constitution of the United States.” In picking Judge Kavanaugh, he has done just that.

In 2016, I strongly supported Hillary Clinton for president as well as President Barack Obama’s nominee for the Supreme Court, Judge Merrick Garland. But today, with the exception of the current justices and Judge Garland, it is hard to name anyone with judicial credentials as strong as those of Judge Kavanaugh. He sits on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (the most influential circuit court) and commands wide and deep respect among scholars, lawyers and jurists.

Judge Kavanaugh, who is 53, has already helped decide hundreds of cases concerning a broad range of difficult issues. Good appellate judges faithfully follow the Supreme Court; great ones influence and help steer it. Several of Judge Kavanaugh’s most important ideas and arguments — such as his powerful defense of presidential authority to oversee federal bureaucrats and his skepticism about newfangled attacks on the property rights of criminal defendants — have found their way into Supreme Court opinions.

Except for Judge Garland, no one has sent more of his law clerks to clerk for the justices of the Supreme Court than Judge Kavanaugh has. And his clerks have clerked for justices across the ideological spectrum."
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• From what little I know of him, it seems as reasonable/qualfied a pick as could have been hope for.

Of course, Kavanaugh's sycophantic fawning at being announced, claiming something along the lines of "no president has ever been so thoughtful of the process and respectful of the role of the judiciary than Trump" seems like something someone would say at gunpoint that Trump himself wrote, so that didn't give me a whole lot of confidence in Kavanaugh's independence. I know it is only proper and polite to say nice things about the person who nominated you, but using the "GOAT" language Trump so often goes to, proclaiming he is better than all other presidents was cringe worthy.

Comment

Working...
                                X