No announcement yet.

Highball Scoring Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all for expanding keepers, but I think we should wait until next season to increase the number from two. As for scoring category changes, I'm okay with anything that is decided.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      I think that we can put the keeper expansion up to a league vote once we see where we are. Maybe drop the whole offensive and defensive rebounding stats and simply go with rebounds as one category.

There will NO vetos this year, if a deal is egregious enough to warrant a vote, it'll be a public vote, and it should require at least a majority of the owners to overturn a deal. I trust everyone in here to run their own teams, we're all adults, so let's keep it fun.

Please check in, we'll start a new thread for the 2014/2015 season as soon as we see where we stand with league owners.

Nevermind, I'm out. No way am I participating in a league where the commissioner changes the rules without at least hearing the opinions of the other league members. Hornsby, if we're all adults, as you say we are, what makes you think you're our daddy? Good luck to the rest of you guys; I enjoyed the competition over the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Moccasin View Post
        Nevermind, I'm out. No way am I participating in a league where the commissioner changes the rules without at least hearing the opinions of the other league members. Hornsby, if we're all adults, as you say we are, what makes you think you're our daddy? Good luck to the rest of you guys; I enjoyed the competition over the past few years.
        This league was almost destroyed last year because of the silly veto fights, and that's just not going to happen again. If a trade is egregious enough to to rile the majority of the league, we can vote on it...but no more anonymous votes, and nothing less than a majority of the league, perhaps a supermajority, to veto a deal. There were vindictive vetos last year, and that should never happen in ANY league, nor should vetos driven by the desire to help or hinder your own team.

Stay or go, makes no nevermind to me...
        Last edited by Hornsby; 09-19-2014, 08:45 PM.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          Work is crazy. I jusat went 10-11 back to back days. I will not have time for this, sorry guys. I have some nice keepers.

J
          Sure about that J? Give it a week and then decide...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

This league was almost destroyed last year because of the silly veto fights, and that's just not going to happen again. If a trade is egregious enough to to rile the majority of the league, we can vote on it...but no more anonymous votes, and nothing less than a majority of the league, perhaps a supermajority, to veto a deal. There were vindictive vetos last year, and that should never happen in ANY league, nor should vetos driven by the desire to help or hinder your own team.

Stay or go, makes no nevermind to me...
            We all have faults Hornsby, but sometimes you're blind to yours, no matter how many explanations are given to you by others. This league was almost destroyed last season because you resubmitted a trade after that same trade had just been vetoed by the rules of our league. You demanded that those who vetoed the trade should stand up and be held accountable, which is not part of our league rules. Then you made those of us that admitted to vetoing your trade give our reasoning, which is also not part of our league rules; and no matter what reason any of us gave, you insisted that we were all wrong. I think you've been one of the most popular and well liked people at the Pen, and I've always respected you for that. I may be wrong, but over the past few years I've come to think that you can be totally closed minded about certain things, and whatever you think should be, is the only way it should be; and anyone that disagrees with you can't possibly be right. Resubmitting a trade after it has been vetoed is the one of the lowest things you can do in a fantasy league; and since that day this league hasn't been the same.

Now you've become the league commissioner, and one of the first things you do is change a rule that has been in place since I've been in this league, and you did this without even asking anyone else in the league what their opinions may be. Maybe one day I'll regret leaving this league; it's been one of my favorites over the past few years. But I've never been in a league before where rule changes are made because of one persons opinion, and I can't imagine many people here will tolerate that for too long either.

Comment

Originally posted by Moccasin View Post
              We all have faults Hornsby, but sometimes you're blind to yours
              Bury the arguments. There was enough blame for everyone.

In a league with shallow keepers, dump trades must be curtailed or the league does not work. We did not have a suitable mechanism. Let it go.

I'll play, but the time constraints at work may interfere. They offered retirement incentives and did not replace most of the losses. It's a big opportunity, but I need to invest a lot of hours.

One suggestion: Move the UDFA keeper slot up to round 12 or 13. This gives an incentive to pick over pick up.

J
              Last edited by onejayhawk; 09-21-2014, 02:13 PM.
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Bury the arguments. There was enough blame for everyone.

In a league with shallow keepers, dump trades must be curtailed or the league does not work. We did not have a suitable mechanism. Let it go.

I'll play, but the time constraints at work may interfere. They offered retirement incentives and did not replace most of the losses. It's a big opportunity, but I need to invest a lot of hours.

One suggestion: Move the UDFA keeper slot up to round 12 or 13. This gives an incentive to pick over pick up.

J
                Glad you reconsidered...I have no problems moving UDFA slot up to a more reasonable position like you've suggested.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Glad you reconsidered...I have no problems moving UDFA slot up to a more reasonable position like you've suggested.
                  Thanks, but better guidelines on trades is more important. If dumps are allowed, then we will get a repeat of last season. In that area I tend to agree with Moccasin more than you.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Thanks, but better guidelines on trades is more important. If dumps are allowed, then we will get a repeat of last season. In that area I tend to agree with Moccasin more than you.

J
                    The problem comes in defining what constitutes a dump deal...all keeper leagues are going to have deals that on the surface appear to be one sided, but a year or two down the line, are decidedly not. As I've said, if there's a majority of complaints from the league, we can certainly look into voiding a deal...but the standard must be high to do so. I was commissioner of two different baseball leagues that allowed keepers, for a total of about 10 years. Not one veto was done over that period of time...the owners are all treated like adults who know what they wish to do with their own teams. And that's the standard that I hope that we can achieve here...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I've got another owner lined up if nobody has any objections...he's in the RJEL and he's a good guy who keeps competitive all season long. In this world, he goes by Andrewski...in real life he's Andy.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

The problem comes in defining what constitutes a dump deal...all keeper leagues are going to have deals that on the surface appear to be one sided, but a year or two down the line, are decidedly not. As I've said, if there's a majority of complaints from the league, we can certainly look into voiding a deal...but the standard must be high to do so. I was commissioner of two different baseball leagues that allowed keepers, for a total of about 10 years. Not one veto was done over that period of time...the owners are all treated like adults who know what they wish to do with their own teams. And that's the standard that I hope that we can achieve here...
                        That approach is begging for more of the same. The standard should be low, not high. If a deal cannot stand in a redraft league, it needs to fail in this one.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

That approach is begging for more of the same. The standard should be low, not high. If a deal cannot stand in a redraft league, it needs to fail in this one.

J
                          I think that we should give the rest of the league a chance instead of assuming that we can't trust them to run their own teams, and/or not to collude on a deal. Like I said, I've run keeper leagues for years without any incident whatsoever...the only league where I've ever had issues was last year in this league.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

So anyone know where we can find last years reason ending rosters? I haven't done commish duties in a yahoo league for years.

I've also made Amit and Piney co-commissioners, I would certainly appreciate their experience and expertise...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Best in class Yahoo Mail, breaking local, national and global news, finance, sports, music, movies... You get more out of the web, you get more out of life.

I think that we should give the rest of the league a chance instead of assuming that we can't trust them to run their own teams, and/or not to collude on a deal. Like I said, I've run keeper leagues for years without any incident whatsoever...the only league where I've ever had issues was last year in this league.
                              You say it happened in this league, but you do not expect it to happen again. Odd.

I have witnessed it many times, though mostly in baseball. As was noted during the season, the scarce keepers lends to this type of manipulation. If there is no rule, then it's a winning play, but detracts from the enjoyment of the league.

I would like a formal rule that all trades must be reasonable for a redraft league.

J
                              Last edited by onejayhawk; 09-21-2014, 07:48 PM.
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

How about, instead of that, we say that any player that you acquire via trade during the season can't be kept? That way we (probably) don't have to worry about vetoes also.
                                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                                X