2012 NBA Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Spurs look unstoppable.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      So the Thunder and Heat are both right back where they were at this stage last year, except the Spurs strike me as a much better team right now than the Mavs were last year. So although I agree that OKC has made strides, I don't know if they're quite ready to knock off this Spurs team the way it's clicking right now. I hope they can take it to seven games. As for the Heat, they should be able to beat Boston without Bosh, but I think he needs to be pretty close to full strength for them to win in the Finals, and even then the Heat would be a deserved underdog.
      WOW JUST ****ING WOW. When I use to play organized basketball my buddy who was our player-coach was the world's biggest Spurs and Timmy fan so we appropriately ran the Spurs motion offense.

So I know what it should look like, but hot damn to see it played at the NBA level against a very good team in OKC. It gives me goose bumps. The execution is awesome.

Vintage Jordan would need to join OKC for them to have a chance.

You're correct about The Heat also. They're not doing it without Bosh. They probably still won't do it with Bosh.

Comment

There is a retro feel there - an old-school coach and an old superstar who date back to the 1990s.
        The "modern" player is better in so many ways, but they don't run an offense as well - if they run one at all.

If you look at film of the 1970 or 1973 champion Knicks (or you're old enough to remember them), they look more like the Globetrotters than any current NBA team. Pass after pass after pass. A hockey power play, basically. Who was the play designed for? Whomever got open for a shot...
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          There is a retro feel there - an old-school coach and an old superstar who date back to the 1990s.
          The "modern" player is better in so many ways, but they don't run an offense as well - if they run one at all.

If you look at film of the 1970 or 1973 champion Knicks (or you're old enough to remember them), they look more like the Globetrotters than any current NBA team. Pass after pass after pass. A hockey power play, basically. Who was the play designed for? Whomever got open for a shot...
          Nope.

That's exactly how the Spurs looked last night. After the second half I knew that game was over.

Comment

as good as the Thunder is (are?), the Heat play better defense and Bosh should be back in time for the finals. Not that the Spurs will be a big favorite, but I would love to be throwing some green down on an underdog Heat team in Vegas on the money line.

Sidenote: teams that dont end in an S are dumb.

Comment

What the hell do the refs have against the Celtics?

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
                Dunno - I don't have a dog in the fight, but I agree the reffing was awful and slanted badly against the Celtics.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The refs always reward a team that's more aggressive, and the Heat were far more aggressive than the Celtics. While there may have been a few questionable calls, the vast majority of them were right on the money.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

The non-call on Wade's face-swipe on Rondo was huge. I think the Celtics win last night if that call had been made.

Comment

It was worse in the Pacers series. David Stern wants the Heat in the finals -- period.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                        It was worse in the Pacers series. David Stern wants the Heat in the finals -- period.
                        Nah, I don't buy the idea that Stern has told referees either explicitly or implicitly to favor one team over any other. I think Hornsby is basically correct, that teams who drive aggressively to the basket will generally get the better of the foul calls, particularly when those players are high-wattage superstars, but I think the pro-high-wattage superstar bias is subconscious, not deliberate.

Comment

Nah, I don't buy the idea that Stern has told referees either explicitly or implicitly to favor one team over any other. I think Hornsby is basically correct, that teams who drive aggressively to the basket will generally get the better of the foul calls, particularly when those players are high-wattage superstars, but I think the pro-high-wattage superstar bias is subconscious, not deliberate.
                          I don't know. In the first or second game against the Pacers, Wade and LeBron each played more than 40 minutes and had 1 foul each. It was obscene. I'm not typically a conspiracy theory kind of guy but I've seen enough of this to really believe that there's something going on, even if it's all veiled in terms of the way the message is delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            The refs always reward a team that's more aggressive, and the Heat were far more aggressive than the Celtics. While there may have been a few questionable calls, the vast majority of them were right on the money.
                            Not just last night but game one. Those technicals were BS.

Comment

While I don't buy conspiracy theories, the ref Tim Donaghy scandal makes it a lot harder to laugh them off, I will admit.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I dunno, between the Knicks getting Ewing, the Clips getting Paul, the Hornets getting the first pick, etc.

Doesn't Stern sit on the board of the Elders of Zion?

Comment

Working...
                                X