DraftKings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DraftKings

Has anybody on here tried a team on DraftKings? If so what is your strategy? Do you go stars & scrubs, try to have a balanced team or some method in between? Do you spend big on any particular position, like studs at RB or WR?

Just curious how others have done things. I entered one of the qualifiers/satellite tournaments with the following lineup:

QB - Brady ($6300)
    RB - L. Bell ($7400)
    RB - Forte ($7800)
    WR - Hopkins ($4800)
    WR - G. Jennings ($4500)
    WR - G. Tate ($4700)
    TE - J. Graham ($7500)
    Flex - Kerley ($3500)
    DEF - SD ($3100)
    14 Team 1/2PPR league (1 Keeper)

QB: Rivers (3), Stafford (5), Keenum (NA)
    RB: Kamara (11), McKinnon (7), Bernard (7)
    WR: M. Thomas (NA), Crabtree (1), Shepard (8), Wallace (NA), Cobb (NA)
    TE: Olsen (NA)
    K: Lutz (7)
    DEF: JAX (7)

(We start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 DEF)

I play on Fanduel periodically because I still have about $80 on there.

Comment

Are you trying to win a tournament or playing a cash game where the object is to double your money? The strategies are a bit different. In tourneys, you want to take some chances. Sometimes pairing up a QB and WR works (the football equivalent of lineup stacking in baseball). DO NOT use a RB on the same team your QB or WR. The key to football is paying attention to the last minute replacements that are announced within an hour of game time. I'll usually put a lineup in with a cheap player that is useful, then flip out of that spot when actives are announced.

On sites with kickers, spend the minimum - at worst, a price point above the minimum to insure a contrarian play. You don't have to go rock bottom with defense but try to avoid the very best.

Use the over/under lines to hep gauge which games will have high point totals.

There's more -- a lot more -- I write about DFS at www.fantasyalarm.com.

We also also have a tool that has projections and prices so you can see the bang-for-the-buck as well as a DFS Playbook which outlines the sites recommended players.
      Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Well damn...after that explanation, Todd, I want to play!
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
          Are you trying to win a tournament or playing a cash game where the object is to double your money? The strategies are a bit different. In tourneys, you want to take some chances. Sometimes pairing up a QB and WR works (the football equivalent of lineup stacking in baseball). DO NOT use a RB on the same team your QB or WR. The key to football is paying attention to the last minute replacements that are announced within an hour of game time. I'll usually put a lineup in with a cheap player that is useful, then flip out of that spot when actives are announced.

On sites with kickers, spend the minimum - at worst, a price point above the minimum to insure a contrarian play. You don't have to go rock bottom with defense but try to avoid the very best.

Use the over/under lines to hep gauge which games will have high point totals.

There's more -- a lot more -- I write about DFS at www.fantasyalarm.com.

We also also have a tool that has projections and prices so you can see the bang-for-the-buck as well as a DFS Playbook which outlines the sites recommended players.
          I signed up for a free team in one of their satellite tournaments for a ticket to their $2.2 Millionaire Maker tournament (375 out of 5815 get a ticket to the tournament on 10/5). Then I signed up for a $2 team in a $30,000 payout tournament (pays out thru 4000 places out of 17,250 participants - $5000 for 1st place).

Just wasn't sure if there are any tips on these type of tournaments. I've played fantasy football for many years but am new to this type of contest.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by jwlincy View Post
            I signed up for a free team in one of their satellite tournaments for a ticket to their $2.2 Millionaire Maker tournament (375 out of 5815 get a ticket to the tournament on 10/5). Then I signed up for a $2 team in a $30,000 payout tournament (pays out thru 4000 places out of 17,250 participants - $5000 for 1st place).

Just wasn't sure if there are any tips on these type of tournaments. I've played fantasy football for many years but am new to this type of contest.

Thanks for all the help.
            You're throwing darts at these types of tourneys and will need some contrarian choices in order to take it down.

Assuming one wants to play regularly and shoot the moon with contests like this, the best way is to sign up and get one of the many matching bonuses sites offer (gratuitous plug alert -- sign up through FantasyAlarm.com and get a bonus).

Then you play a combination of cash games (where you double your entry) and tournaments (where you go for the gusto). The idea is you're winning ample cash games to cover your fee into the tourneys so you're playing on the house, so to speak.

There's usually some dead money in a cash game which increases your odds. Dead money being an early lineup with a player that's scratched, something like that. It happens more in baseball with rain-outs as part of the equation but it does occur in football. The bigger way to get an edge is being up on the actives/inactives right before kickoff so you can get a starter or two that isn't as widely owned. Either way, once you play a couple of weeks and take a look at some of the winning cash game lineups, you'll get a feel for it and become pretty good at them which builds the bankroll so you can take a shot at the big bucks.
            Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by jwlincy View Post
              Has anybody on here tried a team on DraftKings? If so what is your strategy? Do you go stars & scrubs, try to have a balanced team or some method in between? Do you spend big on any particular position, like studs at RB or WR?

Just curious how others have done things. I entered one of the qualifiers/satellite tournaments with the following lineup:

QB - Brady ($6300)
              RB - L. Bell ($7400)
              RB - Forte ($7800)
              WR - Hopkins ($4800)
              WR - G. Jennings ($4500)
              WR - G. Tate ($4700)
              TE - J. Graham ($7500)
              Flex - Kerley ($3500)
              DEF - SD ($3100)
              I made some changes to my lineups and looks like I'm going to win a free $27 entry into the $2.2 millionaire maker contest this week. I went with:

QB - Brees ($9300) - 24.2pts
              RB - Asiata ($4500) - 31pts
              RB - Gore ($4500) - 27.4pts
              WR - Kerley ($3500) 1.3pts
              WR - S. Smith ($5600) - 35.9pts
              WR - G. Tate ($4700) - 22.6pts
              TE - J. Graham ($7500) - 21.6pts
              Flex - J. Nelson ($7200) - 35.8pts
              DEF - SD ($3100) - 10pts

209.8 total points (currently 10th out of 5815 entries)

My previous lineup would have scored 125.1pts with Brady playing tonight.
              Last edited by jwlincy; 09-29-2014, 07:56 AM.

Comment

My lineup in the $30K Guaranteed contest with a $5000 top prize didn't turn out so well:

QB - Rivers ($7700) - 30.08pts
                RB - L. Bell ($7400) - 16.9pts
                RB - Murray ($8300) - 31.5pts
                WR - Crabtree ($6400) 9.3pts
                WR - G. Jennings ($4500) - 10.2pts
                WR - G. Tate ($4700) - 22.6pts
                TE - Gates ($4400) - 6pts
                Flex - Kerley ($3500) - 1.3pts
                DEF - SD ($3100) - 10pts

137.88 Total Points (currently 6809th place) only pays out top 4000 entries.

Comment

Working...
                X