Which D to play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which D to play?

Rotating Defenses this year and just want some opinions on week 1 plays...

1pt/sack; 6pts for all defensive TDs; 2pts/INT and fumble; 5pts for Opponents scoring 1-6; 3pts for 7-13; 1pt for 14-17; -1 for 28-34; -3 for 35-45 and -5 for anything higher

TB vs Car - this is the D that was drafted...not sure I like this match-up and Car could put up points
    Phi vs Jac - Jacksonville sucked last year, Philly really didn't do much on D last year, but this is Jacksonville we're talking about, right??
    Det vs NYG - Eli served up over 1.5 INTs per game last year and he doesn't look much better...Det is an agressive D, but surprisingly did not get a ton of sacks or INTs
    NYJ vs Oak - with Carr the starter, can we expect a good number of picks/sacks??...NYJ are not that good in the secondary but Oak probably will not put up the points

Pit vs Cle - Average QB, weak WR...Tate is good, but Pit could stack up on the line and force Hoyer/Manziel to beat them throwing the ball...
    TB
    0%
    Philly
    0%
    Detroit
    0%
    NYJ
    0%

It's a bad idea, IMO...you can never tell when a defense is going to have a big game, force turnovers, or keep an opponent down. You're MUCH better off just to pick a defense and ride them for good or bad.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      It's a bad idea, IMO...you can never tell when a defense is going to have a big game, force turnovers, or keep an opponent down. You're MUCH better off just to pick a defense and ride them for good or bad.
      Couldn't disagree more. If you don't draft a solid every week D (and there are only a handful) streaming is a great strategy. I'd go with Tampa. Stout line against a bad Carolina o-line means good things.

Comment

I agree with Traut - if you don't have a premium D, I've seen streaming work pretty well.

I'd go with the Jets against Oakland, but TB isn't a bad choice either.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Yeah, I think streaming is the best way to go unless you happen to draft a top 3 defense...but, with the exception of those, it's a crapshoot...hell, KC was actually better in scoring than Seattle last year and they were likely a FA pickup for most at the beginning of the year.

Last year, streaming earned 176 defense points, which was as good as the 8th ranked defense overall at the end of the season.

Comment

I'd probably go with Philly or Detroit - both good matchups and both above average defenses in general. I'd stay away from the Jets - even though they are playing a rookie QB, they literally have no corner back depth which could be exploited big time.

Comment

I stream def every year and wound up picking up KC early on last year, which turned out to be the end of the stream

Obviously streaming is toughest in the first week. I think I would take a shot on the Jets in week 1, as I have heard nothing but bad things about OAK's offense.

Comment

I also selected the J-E-T-S, but Detroit would be the one I'd shy away from off the list.
                Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Meh, it's just not worth the aggravation nor the cost. All but one league that I play in charges for transactions, and I make enough as it is...and I also don't want to be kicking myself for choosing the wrong defense any particular week. Lose by a single digit margin when you could have taken a different defense that scored those deciding points? No thanks.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Meh, it's just not worth the aggravation nor the cost. All but one league that I play in charges for transactions, and I make enough as it is...and I also don't want to be kicking myself for choosing the wrong defense any particular week. Lose by a single digit margin when you could have taken a different defense that scored those deciding points? No thanks.
                    Charges for transactions may be a legit reason but your latter reason makes it sounds like you're too afraid to manage your team. Pop quiz, what defense finished LAST amongst fantasy D's last year... why it was the highly drafted Houston Texans (who according to your strategy would have been an every week start).

Quick raise your hand if you drafted the Chiefs, Rams, Panthers, Eagles, Colts, Giants or Titans as a starting defense last year. Now put your hand down and stop lying. Oh wait they were all top-12 Ds.

There are very few defenses that I would say to confidently start each and every week. Seattle, St Louis, Carolina, KC and Cincy strike me as the best bets. I also would start New England and Denver each week and not stream but we don't yet know how they will gel (if you need evidence see the Eagles circa 2011) so I'm not all in. If I didn't get any of them (and in most leagues I didn't) I'm streaming. The added benefit of this is that often those streamers turn into long-term starters. MANY MANY teams picked up KC or Carolina last season and rode them to the end after grabbing them as streamers.

Comment

Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
                      Charges for transactions may be a legit reason but your latter reason makes it sounds like you're too afraid to manage your team. Pop quiz, what defense finished LAST amongst fantasy D's last year... why it was the highly drafted Houston Texans (who according to your strategy would have been an every week start).

Quick raise your hand if you drafted the Chiefs, Rams, Panthers, Eagles, Colts, Giants or Titans as a starting defense last year. Now put your hand down and stop lying. Oh wait they were all top-12 Ds.

There are very few defenses that I would say to confidently start each and every week. Seattle, St Louis, Carolina, KC and Cincy strike me as the best bets. I also would start New England and Denver each week and not stream but we don't yet know how they will gel (if you need evidence see the Eagles circa 2011) so I'm not all in. If I didn't get any of them (and in most leagues I didn't) I'm streaming. The added benefit of this is that often those streamers turn into long-term starters. MANY MANY teams picked up KC or Carolina last season and rode them to the end after grabbing them as streamers.
                      Yeah, that's my problem, I'm paralyzed by all the possibilities...yawn. It's simply not worth the aggravation to me, if it works for you, fantastic. It's too much of a crapshoot to do each and every week...now, re-evaluating your choices every quarter or so is sound strategy. I've drafted the Rams in 2 leagues so far, and I had Arizona last year...we're they the best? No, but they provided a GREATER probability for points with great D backs and very good returners, as well as good pass rushers...just luck of the draw that they didn't break more off for TD's. Just as it was simply luck of the draw that KC scored like like mad in the 1st half, and did bupkis in the 2nd.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Ah...charges for transactions. Now that would suck. None of my leagues do that.

In terms of brainpower, streaming D's simply isn't that hard.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post

Tru dat!

Comment

Completely missed the potential for Pittsburgh to have a very solid game against Cleveland....

what about their D to replace Tampa this week??

Comment

Originally posted by luckyheel View Post
                              Completely missed the potential for Pittsburgh to have a very solid game against Cleveland....

what about their D to replace Tampa this week??
                              Pittsburgh

Comment

Working...
                              X