Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, who are you madder at? The players or the owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    I heard an interview with Lester Munson this morning, and he believes if the players lose the next court case (sometime around June 3), they're going to hold out as long as possible, which means the season would really be in jeopardy. It's already mid-May and free agency hasn't happened yet. Assuming this goes into June/July and there's no agreement, if they do get one in mid-summer, between FA and pre-season games, we're looking at the very least at a delayed start.

If there's still no agreement by mid-summer, the season would probably be shortened by a couple of weeks. Bastards.
    If something positive happens on June 3rd....will they play all preseason games (most importantly the Hall of Fame game)?

We're very worried that it's going to get cancelled.

Just wondering...

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
      If something positive happens on June 3rd....will they play all preseason games (most importantly the Hall of Fame game)?

We're very worried that it's going to get cancelled.

Just wondering...
      Yes, I'd be very worried about the HOF game, since it must fall on a specific date unlike any other regular or pre-season game.

Comment

The NFL owners are the very definition of a cartel.....
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

For Gris,

From Peter King (he didnt mention the HOF game though)

I think some clarity is in order for Hall of Fame Weekend in August. It's happening. Regardless of the state of the labor situation, the 2011 class will be inducted on Aug. 6 at 7 p.m. in Canton.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            For Gris,

From Peter King (he didnt mention the HOF game though)

I think some clarity is in order for Hall of Fame Weekend in August. It's happening. Regardless of the state of the labor situation, the 2011 class will be inducted on Aug. 6 at 7 p.m. in Canton.
            Yeah, the weekend will happen exactly as normal...except no game will be played. The game is a waste of time anyways.

Comment

As I was perusing the magazine stand at my local Slevens, I realized the Fantasy Football magazine industry will be collateral damage of this stupidity. The first mags are generally out by now, and with a substantially shortened off-season, I'd guess most of the mags won't be able to or will forego altogether publishing a mag this year.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                As I was perusing the magazine stand at my local Slevens, I realized the Fantasy Football magazine industry will be collateral damage of this stupidity. The first mags are generally out by now, and with a substantially shortened off-season, I'd guess most of the mags won't be able to or will forego altogether publishing a mag this year.
                Then the RJFix Fix could be a niche market for those who depend on Fantasy Mags on draft day...if there is a draft day...
                I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                  The NFL owners are the very definition of a cartel.....
                  Funny, I was thinking the same about the Union.

Competing cartels. Do the bystanders get shot in the cross fire?

The wait is going to be excruciating, but none of the current talks will amount to a pile of warm fertilizer until the Appeals Court Rules in July.
                  Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                  Then the RJFix Fix could be a niche market for those who depend on Fantasy Mags on draft day...if there is a draft day...
                  If it aint fixed, Fix it.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I do worry the fantasy industry could be the big loser in all of this. Fantasy mags are nice toilet material, but honestly I bet you 60% of fantasy owners rely solely on the magazines for their draft (I know in my buddy leagues, probably 8 of the 10 have a magazine at the draft that they constantly peruse). If the magazines don't come out or are very limited, you could see some owners decide against playing this season. If the season is partially lost, many leagues probably will skip the year and if they do, will they come back in 2012? I'd think a lot of fans could be mad and we'd see a solid hit to the number of fantasy leagues. I think there are a lot of fantasy guys that do it to spend some time with buddies and are not anywhere near in-depth enough to compete in a knowledgeable league. Those are the guys that may decide they really don't need it and finding replacements could be tough, so a lot of leagues may just pack it in.

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      Funny, I was thinking the same about the Union.

Competing cartels. Do the bystanders get shot in the cross fire?

J
                      maybe we have different definitions of "cartel"

a consortium of independent organizations formed to limit competition by controlling the production and distribution of a product or service;

A cartel is a formal (explicit) agreement among competing firms. It is a formal organization of producers that agree to coordinate prices, marketing and production. ...

neither the players, nor the union, coordinate prices, marketing or production.....
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Yes, I'd be very worried about the HOF game, since it must fall on a specific date unlike any other regular or pre-season game.
                        Sounds like even though the two sides are very close on an agreement, the HOF game is likely to be cancelled.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Sounds like even though the two sides are very close on an agreement, the HOF game is likely to be cancelled.
                          Can we get Griz out there playing a flag football game vs the inductees?
                          Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                            Can we get Griz out there playing a flag football game vs the inductees?
                            Hell yeah....I don't want Deon Sanders guarding me though....maybe Les Richter....oh yeah, he's dead.

Comment

• Yeah, sadly I think this weekend was kinda the rumored dropped dead date for the HOF game, so unless they're closer than I think, it's probably going to get cancelled.

Comment

• The drumbeats toward a deal have finally nearly lined up tonight.

No guarantees, but it's looking better and better for now at least. Maybe something done next week.
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X