Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, who are you madder at? The players or the owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phineas to Ferb View Post

It is the owners who are wanting to change the currently profitable status quo by asking for an additional billion dollars. Without showing why they need it.
    this is what it boils down to for me. If you need some relief owners, you need to be prepared to show why you need relief in this multi-billion dollar industry.

Both sides could care less about the fans. They only care about the fans' wallets.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      this is what it boils down to for me. If you need some relief owners, you need to be prepared to show why you need relief in this multi-billion dollar industry.

Both sides could care less about the fans. They only care about the fans' wallets.
      even though the players should care, why should they care about the fans? the fans will always be there with open wallets.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        even though the players should care, why should they care about the fans? the fans will always be there with open wallets.
        huh??
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

huh??
          I meant that although the players should care what the fans think, in reality why should they care? The fans will always be there with their wallets open.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

they only follow the good players on the home team. your both right.

Comment

I meant that although the players should care what the fans think, in reality why should they care? The fans will always be there with their wallets open.
              there are plenty of sheep yes but there will come a breaking point. I dont know what it would take but it will happen, especially in this economic climate.

Comment

there are plenty of sheep yes but there will come a breaking point. I dont know what it would take but it will happen, especially in this economic climate.
                Ask MLB how much the last strike cost them. While fans eventually came back, the first few seasons definitely impacted the bottom line and it wasn't until Ripken's streak and the Sosa-McGwire race that MLB really came back to full strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Phineas to Ferb View Post
                  2. The NFL makes so much money because they have the best players in the world. I don't want to see Dan Snyder or the third string from East Tennessee State play football. With $9 Billion in revenues, there's going to be some big cuts. Ask the XFL if it matters how good your players are.
                  Yep - there's a huge number of American Football leagues around the world to compete with...

Comment

It's not the players or the owners..it's the fans who need to look in the mirror.

Stop spending your money on professional sports..tickets, merchandising, etc..

You know how much money i have spent in the last decade on the NFL, NHL, MLB or NBA. ZERO.

Stop giving your money to these chumps.

Comment

It's not the players or the owners..it's the fans who need to look in the mirror.

Stop spending your money on professional sports..tickets, merchandising, etc..

You know how much money i have spent in the last decade on the NFL, NHL, MLB or NBA. ZERO.

Stop giving your money to these chumps.
                      you thought this pearl was so wonderful that you posted it twice?

Comment

you thought this pearl was so wonderful that you posted it twice?
                        you damn right !

(perhaps some folks don't peruse this section..i didn't want them to miss out on my advice)

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          It only takes one view of games manned by replacement players during a strike to see just how loyal fans are to their teams versus interested in talent and players.
                          FYI -- in 1987, when replacement players were used, attendance varied by city for the 3 replacement player games, usually dependent upon if the city was a strong or anti-union area:

- In Philly and Detroit, big Union areas, the games w/replacement players drew less than 5,000/game.
                          - Denver & Dallas drew the highest crowds for games w/replacement players. Both drew over 60,000 for a single replacement player game.
                          - while average attendance per game was of course much lower across the NFL, it increased dramatically from the 1st scab game (about 17,000) to the 3rd and final scab game (about 28,000).

So quite frankly, after a week of anger, fans came back to the game and if the strike had continued, those attendance numbers would have likely to continue to increase. Some cities (Dallas, Denver, New Orleans) didn't even care who was out there in their team's uniforms.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            FYI -- in 1987, when replacement players were used, attendance varied by city for the 3 replacement player games, usually dependent upon if the city was a strong or anti-union area:

- In Philly and Detroit, big Union areas, the games w/replacement players drew less than 5,000/game.
                            - Denver & Dallas drew the highest crowds for games w/replacement players. Both drew over 60,000 for a single replacement player game.
                            - while average attendance per game was of course much lower across the NFL, it increased dramatically from the 1st scab game (about 17,000) to the 3rd and final scab game (about 28,000).

So quite frankly, after a week of anger, fans came back to the game and if the strike had continued, those attendance numbers would have likely to continue to increase. Some cities (Dallas, Denver, New Orleans) didn't even care who was out there in their team's uniforms.
                            I feel like the new site is finally getting its legs... Revo is countering sentiment arguments with cold hard facts

Comment

Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
                              I feel like the new site is finally getting its legs... Revo is countering sentiment arguments with cold hard facts
                              Revo is so hot when he is fact-dropping.

Comment

Revo is so hot when he is fact-dropping.
                                That's what my wife says!

Comment

Working...
                                X