Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chiefs to acquire Alex Smith in exchange for 34th pick and a conditional pick in 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiefs to acquire Alex Smith in exchange for 34th pick and a conditional pick in 2014

From Rotoworld:
    Chiefs acquired QB Alex Smith from the 49ers in exchange for a second-round draft pick in 2013 and a conditional pick in the 2014 draft.
    Four years after trading for the Patriots' backup quarterback, the Chiefs have swung a deal for the 49ers' clipboard holder. The price tag is shocking. The Niners received the 34th pick this year plus a 2014 conditional pick that can escalate to an additional second-rounder, for a career game manager. It's similar to what the Cardinals paid for Kevin Kolb in 2011 and Kansas City paid for Matt Cassel in 2009. Smith is an upgrade on Cassel, but his mediocre skill set prevents offenses from playing explosive football and threatening downfield. The deal is done, but won't be "official" until the new league year opens on March 12. The 49ers are now armed with five draft picks in the top 93. The Chiefs are slated to pick just twice in the top 95. In Andy Reid's pass-happy West Coast scheme, Expect plenty of Smith checkdowns to Jamaal Charles.
    Wow.

I know this is similar to the type of deal that both Kolb and Cassel got, but I didn't expect the Niners to get anything close to this for Smith.

Niners now have 5 picks in the top 93. It'll be interesting to see what they do with those picks in terms of trading up, making a play for Revis or trading down for more picks in the future a'la the Patriots.

Paging onejayhawk.

Paging onejayhawk.

We want to hear your analysis on this.
    Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      It'll be interesting to see what they do with those picks in terms of trading up, making a play for Revis or trading down for more picks in the future a'la the Patriots.
      Next year's draft is supposed to be loaded. I would not be surprised to see them make deals that garner them extra picks for next year.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        No idea what the Chiefs were thinking here. They need a difference maker and I have a lot of doubts that Smith is that guy.
        Love Smith and he'll forever be a Niner in my book. But he has a limited skill set. In Baalke I trust though. He's was a shark and the the Chefs were chum(ps).

Comment

From Rotoworld
          Two sources tell Yahoo Sports the 49ers are "poised to make a run" at Darrelle Revis after stockpiling 15 picks in the 2013 draft.
          The Niners only have 12 picks right now, but will get three more via the compensatory process. Per Yahoo's Jason Cole, the 49ers have considered pursuing Revis and not extending his contract, forcing Revis to play out 2013 at $6 million via bonuses and salary. Cole suggests Atlanta could make a Revis run, as well. If San Francisco acquired Revis, it'd likely surrender one of its two top-34 picks, or perhaps even both. Jets GM John Idzik should be on the phone with 49ers GM Trent Baalke. Idzik needs roster-building pieces, and Baalke has them.

Revis would be the perfect addition to the Niners next year and I think he would make them the prohibitive favorites to repeat as the NFC Champions.

There is obviously some risk in Revis' health, but with 15 picks in the draft and not a tremendous amount of holes I think you roll the dice on a move like this and see what happens.

Comment

Smith is only 29, and by far the best QB available in either free agency, or the draft. There are no RGIII's or Andrew Lucks on the horizon, so KC did what it had to do to make it competitive. He's a highly accurate QB who's going to have some weapons to work with...I wouldn't be at all surprised to see KC make the playoffs next year.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

I don't disagree that Alex Smith was the best QB on the market. I'm just surprised the Chiefs gave that much for him considering everyone even remotely interested in football knew that the 49ers essentially had to trade him.

Comment

Good deal for both teams, I think - admittedly the 49ers have less risk and more relief.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                  I don't disagree that Alex Smith was the best QB on the market. I'm just surprised the Chiefs gave that much for him considering everyone even remotely interested in football knew that the 49ers essentially had to trade him.
                  I think that it's as simple as competition...Arizona needs a QB, and apparently Cleveland is looking to go a different way than Weeden. I would think that the Vikings should have looked that way, but they believe that Ponder is going to be the answer...I don't. So bottom line is that getting a good QB in his prime for a 2nd and a conditional pick is not bad at all. It sets KC up to make a big rebound in a big hurry.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

I was really hoping that we could have peddled Foles off to Andy for their 3rd rounder. Looks like he's staying in Philly for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
                      Love Smith and he'll forever be a Niner in my book. But he has a limited skill set. In Baalke I trust though. He's was a shark and the the Chefs were chum(ps).
                      I still can't believe Trent Baalke is a GM. He was my boss when I was a camp counselor at sleep away camp in 1997. He was the group leader.

Actually, Al Baird, former GM of the Royals was the head of baseball there before I started going to camp there. Quite the professional sports upper management factory, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                        I still can't believe Trent Baalke is a GM. He was my boss when I was a camp counselor at sleep away camp in 1997. He was the group leader.

Actually, Al Baird, former GM of the Royals was the head of baseball there before I started going to camp there. Quite the professional sports upper management factory, apparently.
                        Yes ... yes he is.

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
                          Yes ... yes he is.
                          This was a bunch of 10 year olds. I think he is better at his current job, probably.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                            This was a bunch of 10 year olds. I think he is better at his current job, probably.
                            Handling a bunch of 10 year olds is actually kind of tough. Could you imagine Matt Millen doing that job? LOL.

Comment

Working...
                            X