Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does anyone take Fantasy Football seriously??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does anyone take Fantasy Football seriously??

Shonn Greene rushes for 161 and 3 TD's. This after rushing for a bit over 200 yds and one TD the first five weeks.

Jordy Nelson catches 3 TD's. He had 1 TD the first 5 games.

Anyone who actually plays fantasy football for money or donates any money to any expert, is insane.

It's a nice diversion, but way to reliant on luck to be taken seriously.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

FF is definitely 70% luck and 30% skill to try and overcome any "bad" luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
      FF is definitely 70% luck and 30% skill to try and overcome any "bad" luck.
      I think 30% is way to much to attribute to skill. The NFL games are a crapshoot most weeks..let alone trying to actually predict how any given player will perform each week.

And what about.."Hey i outscored the other 8 teams in my league and still lost".

Conceivably a team could be the highest scoring team in a league and not win a game all season. Likely? Probably not. But the fact that can even happen makes FF a game for fun, not money.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Have I told you about the importance of consistency in Fantasy Football?

Just sayin....

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
          Have I told you about the importance of consistency in Fantasy Football?

Just sayin....
          So my team could consistently score more points than most every other team in my league, yet i still lose?

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            So my team could consistently score more points than most every other team in my league, yet i still lose?
            No, being consistently bad is still bad....but being consistently good will allow you the OPPORTUNITY to wins more games. Sure, you'll have the "unlucky" losses and the "lucky" wins....but you should win more if your players are more consistent.

This week, one of my teams had EVERY player score in double digits and that team won by 13 points over the team with Aaron Rodgers scoring 60.58 points!

So, it works....it's not unbeatable....obviously....but I had 10 teams last year and I made the playoffs in 8 of them and 5 leagues were Expert leagues.

This year, I'm in 11 leagues and only 1 team is under .500 and 7 leagues are Experts leagues. So, yeah...it seems to work.

Hey, just my consistency.

Gris

Comment

Fantasy football is far more luck than fantasy baseball for a few reasons:
              1) HTH
              2) 16 games vs. 162 games
              3) each game is one week

So it's kind of like saying "draft a baseball team and the winner will be declared on April 20."

Football is a small sample size, and it's compounded by the fact you have no control over your opponent's score.

Now your league can choose a few things to help lower this luck factor:
              1) give a greater weight to fantasy points scored, like making one or two playoff spots be highest pts scored rather than record;
              2) using a Victory Points style of standings, rather than HTH
              3) go pure roto

Saying "Jordy Nelson this" or "Shonn Greene that" does not make it luck. You can look at team matchups -- Jennings was out, so Nelson was definitely the best receiving option -- and see which offense may fare better in a given game, but still now know who will be a major factor or not. But isn't baseball the same there? What happened to teams who used their first round pick on Jacoby Ellsbury, or those who took a shot in the 14th round that Mike Trout would contribute this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                Shonn Greene rushes for 161 and 3 TD's. This after rushing for a bit over 200 yds and one TD the first five weeks.

Jordy Nelson catches 3 TD's. He had 1 TD the first 5 games.

Anyone who actually plays fantasy football for money or donates any money to any expert, is insane.

It's a nice diversion, but way to reliant on luck to be taken seriously.
                Because some find it fun.

Gambling in general (when not abused) is found to be fun.

All of the players in a fantasy football league are under the same rules. So it may be the luck of the draw or other some "lucky" thing that decides the outcome but that doesn't make it any less fun.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Fantasy football is far more luck than fantasy baseball for a few reasons:
                  1) HTH
                  2) 16 games vs. 162 games
                  3) each game is one week

So it's kind of like saying "draft a baseball team and the winner will be declared on April 20."

Football is a small sample size, and it's compounded by the fact you have no control over your opponent's score.

Now your league can choose a few things to help lower this luck factor:
                  1) give a greater weight to fantasy points scored, like making one or two playoff spots be highest pts scored rather than record;
                  2) using a Victory Points style of standings, rather than HTH
                  3) go pure roto

Saying "Jordy Nelson this" or "Shonn Greene that" does not make it luck. You can look at team matchups -- Jennings was out, so Nelson was definitely the best receiving option -- and see which offense may fare better in a given game, but still now know who will be a major factor or not. But isn't baseball the same there? What happened to teams who used their first round pick on Jacoby Ellsbury, or those who took a shot in the 14th round that Mike Trout would contribute this year?
                  One more thing - in baseball, the luck factor is spread out across 25 players, usually. In most fantasy football leagues, there are only 9 players in a given lineup, and one of those is usually the team defense. One disastrous injury usually impacts a lot more in football. The fact that it's a much more physical sport than baseball means that the likelihood of injury is that much greater as well.

Comment

Its weird this year. i am in four leagues, three of them pretty competitive, but I am not paying them much attention. Last season i blew off basketball, but this year I am in deep.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                    X