Steve Sabol, RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Sabol, RIP

"The football world says goodbye to a legend of the sport on Tuesday. Steve Sabol, President of NFL Films, has died at the age of 69 years old after an 18 month battle with brain cancer.

Sabol took over the mantle of NFL Films President in 1985 from his father Ed, who founded the company. Steve learned in March of 2011 that he had a brain tumor that could not be removed. He introduced his father during Ed's emotional enshrinement into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in August of 2011. Sabol is survived by his wife, Penny, his son Casey, his parents Audrey and Ed, and his sister Blair.

"Steve was the creative genius behind NFL Films' remarkable work," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday in an email to NFL personnel. "Steve's passion for football was matched only by his talent and energy. He was a major contributor to the success of the NFL, a man who changed the way we looked at football and sports, and a great friend. His legacy is assured.

"Steve was an incredible visionary. He spent 50 years at the NFL and changed the way we see pro football. So when you're watching the games this week, it's worth remembering just how much Steve contributed to the way we think, see, and love our game."

Bummer. I spent many an afternoon as a kid in the '80s watching him host various NFL Films programs.

My cousin works for NFL Films now, I bet he's even more bummed.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Sabol was such a great story teller. When you watched one of his films, you felt like he was sitting in the room with you and telling the story just to you. Through his films, he taught me NFL history when i was a kid. He will be missed, but remembered often thanks to his vast NFL Films library. RIP Steve.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

This is one of the Blessings that I received as a volunteer HOF driver.

I was Steve's personal driver the year he received the Dick McCann (media) award. He was such a great down-to-earth guy. He said he owed everything to his father's vision of NFL Films. He mentioned that at first he wanted nothing to do with his Dad's idea of "standing in the freezing cold videotaping a NFL football game", so he went off to college. He said he did nothing but party his ass off at college and flunked out and then went "begging" back to his Dad for a job....and as they say, "the rest is history".

Last year, when I drove his father, Ed, I met Steve again and it was so sad to see Steve in the state he was. His bald head from chemo and his stuttering that would overcome him at times forced him to not do any live interviews. But he was there to honor his father and his vision.

Steve was a class act. I'm honored and Blessed to say that I got to spend a little time with Steve over the years and I proudly wear my NFL Films shirt, that Steve and Ed gave me, all of the time. My sympathies go out to Steve's family. Sadly, Ed's health wasn't that great last year either and he may not be very far behind Steve.

Hey, just my blessings.

Gris

Comment

Hendrix & Sabol have the same date of passing on 9/18 -- the innovators

Comment

Working...
          X