Week 2 musings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 2 musings...

With a road win in New England, could the sun finally be shining on much-maligned QB Kevin Kolb ?

What was the purpose of the Eli Manning cheapshot on the game ending, kneel down ?

Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin have only played two games but are already better than half the quarterbacks in the league.

Speaking of which, is there a more mediocre QB than Matt Cassel ?

If anyone deserves to be cut after yesterdays's game its Skins wideout, Josh Morgan. Throwing the ball at Cortland Finnegan (and getting a 15-yard penalty) was just dumb.

Eagles are 2-0 and have won each game by one point. But still, a win is a win. Imagine what this team will do, if they don't turn the ball over 3-5 times per game.

Oakland. Yet another example of a west coat team, going east and playing a 1 pm game, and losing (even more so with Oakland this week, who played this past Monday night).

I find myself appreciating Apocalypse Now more and more, as I get older. I saw it over the weekend and liked it more than I remember.

Andy Dalton has been sacked 10 times thus far. He was sacked only 24 times, in 16-games, last season.

While the replacement refs are doing a decent job, I'm waiting for them to blow a big call, in a big game.

The Dallas " effort " versus Seattle was an embarrassment.

Why are there Thursday night games every week ? I'd prefer two Monday night games to a Thursday game.

Calling Cassel mediocre is kind.

The Chiefs were not embarrassed by Atlanta. If you are -3 in TO, you are supposed to lose to a good team by 2 TD+. The loss at Buffalo is embarrassing. New Orleans this week, who may feel the same way.

The Eagles already have a stranglehold on their division.

OK. That last was an over reaction, but you see it a lot.

What is RG III doing that is making him so effective? What little I have seen is single read. If it is not there, pull it down and buy time.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

What the Bucs did was best summed up by a former Giant, Antonio Pierce, who simply said, you play until the final whistle. What happens if the QB butterfingers the ball and it's laying there, but the D-line didn't charge? Screw Coughlin...nothing wrong with that play other than the Giants being lackadaisical about it.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        What the Bucs did was best summed up by a former Giant, Antonio Pierce, who simply said, you play until the final whistle. What happens if the QB butterfingers the ball and it's laying there, but the D-line didn't charge? Screw Coughlin...nothing wrong with that play other than the Giants being lackadaisical about it.
        I'm perfectly fine with what Schiano did. I'm also fine that Coughlin got mad.

Comment

Originally posted by off_the_wall View Post
          If anyone deserves to be cut after yesterdays's game its Skins wideout, Josh Morgan. Throwing the ball at Cortland Finnegan (and getting a 15-yard penalty) was just dumb.
          Especially considering Finnegan's history of instigating things with WRs. Its always been a part of his game, he tried to get into the heads of opposing WRs and gets them to commit stupid penalties.
          14 Team 1/2PPR league (1 Keeper)

QB: Rivers (3), Stafford (5), Keenum (NA)
          RB: Kamara (11), McKinnon (7), Bernard (7)
          WR: M. Thomas (NA), Crabtree (1), Shepard (8), Wallace (NA), Cobb (NA)
          TE: Olsen (NA)
          K: Lutz (7)
          DEF: JAX (7)

(We start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 DEF)

Comment

Let's see...the NFL game is predicated on trying to hit and hurt your opponent so a coach gets mad when the other team is still playing physical? Why should the kneel down be any different than every other play when the defense is trying to maim the offense?

So for 59 minutes and 30 seconds the players try to destroy each other and then at the end on the final play it's "tea-time"? OK.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Let's see...the NFL game is predicated on trying to hit and hurt your opponent so a coach gets mad when the other team is still playing physical? Why should the kneel down be any different than every other play when the defense is trying to maim the offense?

So for 59 minutes and 30 seconds the players try to destroy each other and then at the end on the final play it's "tea-time"? OK.
              The issue is, how many times have you seen this in games ? Not many.

Kinda a lame excuse to say " our team is still playing physical " when you have essentially lost the game.

Comment

It's a legal play, but probably hasn't been used in the NFL in oh, ever. But I suppose those are the sort of plays you have to resort to when you blow a 14 point lead, give up 25 4th quarter points, and have your defense get cut to ribbons to the tune of almost 600 yards allowed.

Comment

500+ passing yards has happened only 13 times in NFL history. 3 of them have been by NY Giants. Tittle(505), Simms(513), Manning(510).

Comment

It is ok to do it while on defense but Freeman better look out if the Bucs are trying to run out the clock this year.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      The Eagles already have a stranglehold on their division.
                      I wouldn't say that, but if they are 5-1 after the first six games, that will bode very well.

The Giants have massive injuries in the secondary, the Redskins have massive injuries in the pass rush, and the Cowboys are their usual inconsistent selves. The Eagles' problem, turnovers, is the most easily fixable of those.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by jwlincy View Post
                        Especially considering Finnegan's history of instigating things with WRs. Its always been a part of his game, he tried to get into the heads of opposing WRs and gets them to commit stupid penalties.
                        He is the Claude Lemieux of the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir

The rules, Mith, the rules. This is the official rule on a QB kneel down:

Section 2 Dead Ball
                          Article 1: Dead Ball Declared. An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:
                          (c) when a quarterback immediately drops to his knee (or simulates dropping to his knee) behind the line
                          of scrimmage.

So if the offense is in a Kill/Victory formation, obviously the intention is a kneel down. I'm not even 100% sure if Manning had fumbled, let's say, that it would be considered a fumble.

So I guess the Bucs could've forced a fumble on the exchange from the center, but there's no real denying it was a schoolyard cheap play.

Comment

This is hysterical if you're not a Cowboys fan. Language very NSFW.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              The rules, Mith, the rules. This is the official rule on a QB kneel down:

Section 2 Dead Ball
                              Article 1: Dead Ball Declared. An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:
                              (c) when a quarterback immediately drops to his knee (or simulates dropping to his knee) behind the line
                              of scrimmage.

So if the offense is in a Kill/Victory formation, obviously the intention is a kneel down. I'm not even 100% sure if Manning had fumbled, let's say, that it would be considered a fumble.

So I guess the Bucs could've forced a fumble on the exchange from the center, but there's no real denying it was a schoolyard cheap play.
                              Stupid rule. But if it's the rule then it's the rule.
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                              X