Week 1 musings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 1 musings...

If your Philly (or any team for that matter) and you have 5 turnovers, it normally results in a loss. But not when you are playing Cleveland, who has the worst offense in the league.

Brandon Weeden was dreadful but regardless of the rotating QB carousel, the Browns desperately need a playmaker on offense.

What happened to that Carolina O-line ? It looked like a jailbreak at every snap versus Tampa, especially in the first half. For the entire game, 10 yards rushing on 13 carries, WTF ?

Viking rookie kicker, Blair Walsh booting a 55-yard field goal to send the game into overtime versus Jacksonville, maybe one of the best things about week 1, that no one is talking about but understandably so, when the teams are Minnesota and Jacksonville.

Adrian Peterson sure looked like his old self. If any player needs to be studied after he passes away, it's this guy. He is a physical marvel.

Rookie QB, Robert Griffin sure looked mighty impressive. The other rookie QB's, not so much.

Odd stat: Washington is now 7-1 in New Orleans.

Jets sure looked like rock stars versus the Bills. The Jets are not that good, and the Bills cannot be that bad. That being said, the Jets own the Bills.

Week 1 is done (or nearly done) and the replacement refs did a very reasonable job. Me wonders, what becomes of the " regular " refs.

David Carr (in 2002) was the last #1 pick overall (QB that is) to win their debut game.

Brandon Marshall, 15 targets, 9 catches...can you say league leader in targets and receptions.

San Fran sure made a statement that they are the team to beat in the NFC.

Speaking of which, I don't care how good the passing offense is in Green Bay, when you have zero running game, you are in trouble.

Arizona QB, Kevin Kolb looks like a hero after coming off the bench and throwing a game winning TD. Don't worry, things will turn on him in 3, 2, 1...

Speaking of turning into a pumpkin, Tennessee RB Chris Johnson sure looks like he has reverted back to his lackluster 2010 form.

Don't worry about Andrew Luck, he will be just fine. The Indy O-line is dreadful and the running game is just as bad. Once (and if) these problems get addressed, things will be looking up.

Was it just me, or did there seem to be a lot of interceptions on Sunday ?

Big win by Atlanta in KC. In the last 2-3 years, this team would have found a way to lose this game.

The Rams maybe one of the more improved teams this season.

I think the NHL season, won't start until mid-December.

Atlanta is my pick for the NFC Champion. They certainly made a very good Chiefs defense look bad. KC was missing Hali, Flowers, Toribio and Lewis, plus Derrick Johnson was less than full speed, so I claim a bit of a muligan, but it was not pretty.

Weeden is going to have a lot of trouble this year. I think he will work though it. He is a rhythm passer, and he will take time to find it. Other than the best LT in the NFL, the OL is not good, and he does not know how to handle pressure yet.

Stepping out a bit far on that NHL limb I think.

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 09-10-2012, 09:12 AM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Speaking of turning into a pumpkin, Tennessee RB Chris Johnson sure looks like he has reverted back to his lackluster 2010 form.
      I think you mean his 2011 form, which basically means he hasn't reverted back, but unfortunately has continued his lackluster form.

The Tebow aura is amazing -- the Jets pummel the Bills, Sanchez has his best game in a long time, yet Tebow still dominates the headlines.

If the Jets are going to line Sanchez up as a WR on these cockamamie Tebow non-plays, they're going to give some defenders a great opportunity to deck him with a clean block and no protectors.

Stephen Hill looked great, as did Jeremy Kerley. Santonio Holmes may be the #3 WR on this team now.

If Fred Jackson is sidelined for awhile, he may never get his job back. CJ Spiller is a home run hitter in every sense of the word.

I thought Alfred Morris was your typical pre-game Shanny diversionary tactic, but he was the real deal and may have turned Roy Helu into waiver wire fodder.

The Carolina running game was lost without Jonathan Stewart. DeAngelo Williams' contract is starting to climb the echelons of among the worst ever handed out.

Percy Harvin is such a great fantasy play because they hand him the ball 5x per game on rushing plays. He's like the reverse of a pass-catching RB.

If RGIII remains this good, Pierre Garcon and Fred Davis will see huge bumps in value.

If Randall Cobb is available in your league, claim him immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by off_the_wall View Post
        Week 1 is done (or nearly done) and the replacement refs did a very reasonable job. Me wonders, what becomes of the " regular " refs.
        Most of the biggest gaffes I saw were procedural in nature as opposed to bad calls that affect the outcome of a play/game. E.g. confusion over Seattle's timeouts, confusion over whether Tomlin threw the challenge flag in time, confusion over what is and is not reviewable in the PHI/CLE game. You have to expect that from a group that's not nearly as familiar with league procedures as their predecessors. The calls themselves that were controversial are the same ones that are controversial with the real refs -- what constitutes pass interference, what constitutes roughing the passer, etc. Maybe they were blind in some of the games I did not see, but in the games I did see, their calls weren't much different from normal, it was their (mis)handling of certain procedures that stood out.

If Goodell is willing to live with the procedural confusion, he'll continue to take a hard line with the real refs.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          If Randall Cobb is available in your league, claim him immediately.
          The Packers now have FOUR fantasy-viable WR in Jennings, Nelson, Jones and Cobb. The trick is to figuring out which ones will go off in any given week.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
            The Packers now have FOUR fantasy-viable WR in Jennings, Nelson, Jones and Cobb. The trick is to figuring out which ones will go off in any given week.
            Yep, but the Pack was also using Cobb as a 3rd down RB, so he may become Percy Harvin-esque.

Comment

The Eagles became the first team in NFL history to throw 56 or more times, score 17 points or fewer, and win.

Comment

Alfred Morris averaged 3.4 YPC...meaning if he fumbles once or twice, the Shanahanigans are going to be on once again.

If Doug Martin touches the ball 28 times a game, he'll be a foot shorter by game 10.

VJax remains one of the most overrated players in the NFL.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

YAY! I love the musings....

Other notes:

If the replacement refs did OK in other games, I can safely tell you they sucked canal water in the GB-SF game. Absolutely horrible. That ref team needs to be disbanded immediately and sent back to DII football, whence they came. The only good thing that can be said for the refs is they sucked equally badly for each team and didn't end up determining the outcome.

San Fran is the most fundamentally sound team in football. Tackling, blocking, pass routes....everything is textbook. Green Bay players of all experience levels (yes, and I mean you, Charles Woodson) should watch the film and take lessons.

The most dreaded words heard during the Packer game: "Jarrett Bush is in single coverage against Randy Moss."

Note to Philadelphia management: Dudes, that Akers guy still has one heck of a great leg. 63 yarder at Lambeau? Impressive.

Andrew Luck will be to Reggie Wayne what Cam Newton was to Steve Smith. I'd love to get Wayne in any lineup. He looks completely renewed with Luck as QB.

OTOH, the Colts defense is abysmal. I didn't expect them to be good, but I thought there'd be some semblance of improvement.

Peyton Manning...yeah, he's still pretty good.

Nothing against RGIII, but let's not get too excited. That was the Aints non-defense he was up against.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

"Alfred Morris averaged 3.4 YPC...meaning if he fumbles once or twice, the Shanahanigans are going to be on once again."

I think he had several "run out the clock runs in the 2nd half" and maybe 1st half as well. I'd be careful with that stat unless my casual watching is off there...

Vick 1st QB to throw 4 INTs in season opener and win anyway, since 1970s Stabler/Raiders.
                    I think it's a WSJ stat - and the Snake faced the Steel Curtain Steelers in that one, not the Browns....
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      "Alfred Morris averaged 3.4 YPC...meaning if he fumbles once or twice, the Shanahanigans are going to be on once again."

I think he had several "run out the clock runs in the 2nd half" and maybe 1st half as well. I'd be careful with that stat unless my casual watching is off there...

Vick 1st QB to throw 4 INTs in season opener and win anyway, since 1970s Stabler/Raiders.
                      I think it's a WSJ stat - and the Snake faced the Steel Curtain Steelers in that one, not the Browns....
                      I've watched, and owned a slew of Shanny backs in the last several years. I feel pretty comfortable in saying if a rookie screws up a couple of times, ol' Mike will find a comfortable seat for him on the sideline.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

ok, but your original comment was pegged to "YPC," or yards per carry.
                        would Shanahan deduct for clock-killing plays in his analysis?
                        that would be dumb.

they do seem to have a variety of options, so I would agree with a "caution" flag.
                        But I don't even play fantasy football, so no worries for me there...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          ok, but your original comment was pegged to "YPC," or yards per carry.
                          would Shanahan deduct for clock-killing plays in his analysis?
                          that would be dumb.

they do seem to have a variety of options, so I would agree with a "caution" flag.
                          But I don't even play fantasy football, so no worries for me there...
                          Yes it was...3.4 YPC isn't enough to keep a job in the NFL no matter how well a guy does running out the clock. And the fumble comment followed it, connected by ellipsis. Meaning that he could lose his job quicker in Shanahan World if he dropped the ball, even if he increases his YPC. IIRC, poor Roy Helu didn't do a damn thing to lose his job last year, neither did Ryan Torain, but lose their jobs they did.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

is this statistically-backed, or just Shanahan-burned?

I ask because I have no cash on the line for who carries for WASH next week, as many do here...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Shanahan has pulled rabbits out of hats, but he has also gone whole seasons without settling on a RB.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                              X