Art Modell dies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art Modell dies.

Former Baltimore Ravens owner Art Modell died early Thursday, the longtime NFL stalwart who incurred the wrath of Cleveland fans when he moved the team from Ohio and admittedly tarnished his own legacy as a civic leader.

He got Cleveland almost as upset, by leaving, as LeBron James.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/a...villain-090612

He got Cleveland almost as upset, by leaving, as LeBron James.

J
      Perhaps more. When LeBron left, the team (such as it was) remained. When Modell uprooted the Browns, he ripped the soul out of a region. The Cavs were the third option among Cleveland sports fans, the Browns the first. The fans LIKED the Cavs, LOVED the Browns.

They did have several things in common--One, a complete disdain for the fans; Two, naked greed; Three, a lack of class; and Four, complete obliviocy about how the fans would react.

As a Steelers fan going back to the God-do-we-suck Sixties, I was always attracted to and repelled by the Browns. Great organization, class people, except for the living wart at the top. Modell struck me, as a child, a teen, a young adult, and now in middle age, as the embodiment of no class. He got his start with family money, made lots but blew most of it. Worst of all, he always portrayed himself as the victim rather than the the cause of the Browns' (mostly financial) problems.

Yes, he was an NFL pioneer in many ways. But he was also an arrogant prick who ripped the heart out of the great fans of one of the league's legendary franchises. The celebration is on in northeast Ohio, and I can't say as I blame them. Perhaps some of the demons that have possessed them for the last 17 years will be gone.

Enjoy the fire, Art.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

Working...
      X