The Better Manning if Eli Wins Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Better Manning if Eli Wins Sunday

Lots of talk radio discussion surrounding Eli being the better QB of the two Manning brothers if he should win his second Super Bowl on Sunday. I think this is ridiculous talk.

While Eli will have two rings, I don't think his body of work, at this point shows him to be better than Peyton. The rationale of having more Super Bowl rings than someone else seems to me extremely flawed. If we went that route, would Terry Bradshaw be the greatest QB of all-time?

To expand that to other positions, would Jack Lambert be the greatest middle linebacker, although many say Ray Lewis is the greatest.

Now, I am a Steelers homer and would never place Bradshaw as the greatest QB of all-time, top 10, yes, but it seems to be irrational to place someone better solely based on the rings on their fingers.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Yeah, getting a second ring would not yet be enough to move Eli's overall resume past his brother's, but he's certainly been closing the gap this year and another ring would close it even further.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Yeah, so right now Peyton Manning is tied with Trent Dilfer in the "greatness" category?
      not to mention that Dan Marino guy really sucks

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Yeah, so right now Peyton Manning is tied with Trent Dilfer in the "greatness" category?
        Yeah, exactly. I'm baffled by this whole Peyton vs. Eli "greatness" thing. Eli's a better QB than Peyton right now solely because he has a healthy neck. But in terms of a career, don't make me laugh. Eli's barely worthy to carry his brother's shoes by that metric.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Eli is better than Rivers though, eh?
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            This season, he most definitely was.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

As a Giants/Eli fan, I agree that's it's crazy to think Eli is better than Peyton. Has Eli elevated himself into that top 5 elite class? I think even that's debatable, but he's clearly knocking on that door.

I also don't agree with the many analysts who are now chirping that Eli is a "lock for the Hall of Fame." Let's have that discussion after 5 more years.

What's amazing is that he's just 31 years old and arguably can play at a top level for another 7 or 8 years, so if the G-Men are ever lucky enough to win another championship, I'm not sure where that puts Eli in the all-time class, but I'd guess it would have to be pretty high.

Comment

Are Bobby and Brett Hull currently the only immediate family members in the big four sports to both have been inducted to their sport's Hall of Fame?

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  Are Bobby and Brett Hull currently the only immediate family members in the big four sports to both have been inducted to their sport's Hall of Fame?
                  You need to get back into Vintage Drafting! Lloyd and Paul Waner are both in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                    You need to get back into Vintage Drafting! Lloyd and Paul Waner are both in the Baseball Hall of Fame.
                    Ah, yes. Forgot about the Waners.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      But neither is as good as Brees.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                        he was trying not to waste his W that early in the draft.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          But neither is as good as Brees.
                          who isnt as good as Rodgers......
                          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I chuckle that whichever QB wins the Super Bowl instantly is considered the best QB in the league.

This year, Eli
                            Last year, Aaron Rodgers
                            Before that, Drew Brees
                            etc., etc.

QB's on par or better than Eli currently:

- Aaron Rodgers
                            - Drew Brees
                            - Ben Roethlesberger
                            - Philip Rivers
                            - Tom Brady
                            - Peyton Manning (if he's able to come back)

Does Cam Newton deserve to be there? Look at what he did this year, possibly.

I'm not saying Eli hasn't come into his own, or that he's not a top five QB, but let's have some perspective.

Side note: If two Super Bowl rings gets you into the HoF, is Big Ben a lock?
                            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

I think Stafford belongs on that list.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                              X