No announcement yet.

Divisional Playoff Round Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Giants fan in my office makes an interesting point - with the amount of talent the Giants have, haven't they been underachieving in the regular season nearly every year?

If not for the Eagles and Cowboys kicking away so many games in silly fashion, the Giants would have missed the playoffs again.

Still, they can be dangerous when they get in, for sure....
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Actually, the Giants are in the playoffs because of a gift from the refs. They would have lost the Arizona game except for an inexplicable ruling that Cruz had not fumbled because he had "given himself up."

That would have made Eagles/Giants/Cowboys all 8-8, and the Eagles would have won the division based on division record.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Bottom line is that it's all irrelevant...the Giants won when they had to, and continue to win when it counts. It's an amazing team that can pull it together when it's all on the line. Could they have made life easier for themselves? Sure...but nothing else matters now but two more wins.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
          Actually, the Giants are in the playoffs because of a gift from the refs. They would have lost the Arizona game except for an inexplicable ruling that Cruz had not fumbled because he had "given himself up."

That would have made Eagles/Giants/Cowboys all 8-8, and the Eagles would have won the division based on division record.
          Gimme a break.

The refs make stupid calls all the time, including two against the Giants in today's game.

Comment

:biggrin:

Yeah because the Dream Team Eagles deserved to make the playoffs. The Giants were DEVASTATED by injuries this year. They lost about a dozen players before the season even started and didn't have their "full" squad until a few weeks before the end of the season.

If we are going to do what ifs. If the Refs didn't suck so hard today the Giants would have won 40+ to 6
            Last edited by JudeBaldo; 01-15-2012, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              Gimme a break.

The refs make stupid calls all the time, including two against the Giants in today's game.
              I know that, but it doesn't change the fact of what I said.

Comment

I must admit, I had forgotten about that gift call vs Arizona, which was far more important than any of the lousy calls the Giants have gotten (including several today and a couple of extremely close ones against them the first go-round vs the Packers) because of the fact that no time was left to recuperate in that game.

But who knows what would have happened had that Cruz call been made correctly all those weeks ago? Bottom line is that no team should ever let things get so close that one play or one game could knock them out.....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

For a team that didn't deserve to make the playoffs they sure are kicking some serious ass of the "real" playoff teams.

Giants 61 - Atlanta/Greenbay 22

Next!

Comment

I have no idea which SF offense will show up, the one from the fourth quarter of Saturday's game, or the one from the second quarter of Saturday's game.

Comment

I have no idea which SF offense will show up, the one from the fourth quarter of Saturday's game, or the one from the second quarter of Saturday's game.
                      I'm quite happy to have the game at the Stick. The only thing that really worries me about the Giants defense is their pressure with only four guys. Though I think the Niners have significantly improved their line play since the Ravens game.

The Niners defense is significantly better than the Packers so that's a big advantage for us.

Comment

I know that, but it doesn't change the fact of what I said.
                        I'm wondering if you analyzed every referee call made this year, or just cherry-picked that one.

Was it a bad call? Yes. Do you have a clue what would have happened next? Of course not. Would it have changed anything at all this season? probably not.

Comment

"The 2011 Green Bay Packers become the fifth team in the last seven years to enter the playoffs with the best record in the league, and leave the playoffs after one home game. To put that in some perspective, in the 25 seasons prior to that, going back to 1978, the team with the league’s best record lost five times total in their first playoff game."

"this is the eighth straight year when the league’s best record has failed to win the Super Bowl (The 2003 Patriots were the last team to pull it off)"

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            I'm wondering if you analyzed every referee call made this year, or just cherry-picked that one.

Was it a bad call? Yes. Do you have a clue what would have happened next? Of course not. Would it have changed anything at all this season? probably not.
                            What do you expect. There are still Cardinal fans belly aching Denkinger 1985.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

and that was only Game 6!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fzh1eknXpDg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X