Wildcard musings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildcard musings

How brutal was Atlanta 4th and short offense this weekend ?

Regardless of what happens versus the Pats this week, Tebow is locked into the starters spot next year.

With all the Tebow hype, it overshadows a better than expected game, and likely comeback by Ben Roethlisberger.

Was I the only one who found it a tad disturbing that the announcers in the Houston/Cincy game talking about Houston's J.J.Watt and his " ball skills " following his INT return for a touchdown.

If there is any coach who needs help with challenges, its Marvin Lewis.

On a related note, when did it happen that every INT returned for a touchdown or a near INT has become referred to a " pick-six " ?

Cincy and Atlanta, both 0-3 with their current coaches.

If I'm the Lions next year, Calvin Johnson is getting 20 targets per game.

The talk of Lions Ndamukong Suh being dominate needs to be put on hold after being virtually invisible versus the Saints.

Plain and simply, the Giants owned both lines, offensive and defensive.

HOF inductees (if I had a vote);

Dermontti Dawson
    Bill Parcells
    Willie Roaf
    Will Shields
    Cortez Kennedy

on the fence with:
    Tagliabue, Carter (I'm not sure Tim Brown gets in before Carter), Doleman, Martin, Betis, and DeBartolo.

Two of those three Cincy losses were because they had mediocre teams that didn't really deserve to be there in the first place. The third was because they lost Palmer to a knee injury on the first series.

Atlanta's performances are inexcusable, though. They look like a totally different team in the playoffs.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I'd like to say the Broncos win was the most shocking in years, but the Seahawks took care of that one last year.

Tim Tebow seems to be as accurate on longer throws as he is inaccurate on crossing patterns.

I don't understand why the Steelers didn't use the defensive playbook the Chiefs used to perfection last week.

I'll give this to Tebow: like an agent with baseball GMs, he does a great job of finding the "one bad apple" of the defense.

Ike Taylor, meet Eric Smith.

It finally occurred to me who Tebow resembles after a throw: Payne Stewart at Pinehurst in 1999:

Demaryius Thomas is a beast.

Victor Cruz may have led the Giants in receiving yards, but talent-wise, Hakeem Nicks is still light years ahead of him.

The Giants path is looking decidedly 2007-ish -- which is a good omen, if little else.

The only team left standing who does not have a Super Bowl win is Houston. Cincy, Atlanta & Detroit were all KO'd from this field this weekend.

Lions fans have a legit gripe about the fumble that should have been a TD.

Comment

Interesting how a few of the playoff teams had not beaten a team with a winning record all year. Bengals were one, and I think that the Patriots are another.

Comment

That crew who did the Pitt-Den game was atrocious. That lateral call was terrible. There were at least two facemasks not called. Just brutal.

Detroit-NO made me tired just watching them.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            I don't understand why the Steelers didn't use the defensive playbook the Chiefs used to perfection last week.
            This was mentioned by the announcers during the game, they said the reason was Pittsburgh corners were not as good as the KC corners.

Granted Nicks is better than Cruz talent wise but Nicks seems to be good for 2-3 easy drops per game, which make you rip your hair out.

Comment

I am currently on site with Task Force Bronco, for what that is worth.

Demaryius Thomas is a beast.
              The Chiefs have a better defense than the Steelers. They had some meltdown games which drave the averages up, Adding Eric Berry back in could make them top. The were top 10 for the second half as it is.

Demaryius Thomas was the 1st WR taken. No real surprise he's good.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Victor Cruz may have led the Giants in receiving yards, but talent-wise, Hakeem Nicks is still light years ahead of him.
                I didn't want to get in a fight with you concerning the Pro Bowl picks, but Nicks should go wayyyy before Cruz, IMO should Jennings not go.

I sure don't want to judge Detroit - they've made huge steps forward from three years ago, and certainly from the disaster that was Matt Millen as GM. In full retrospect, I'm sure revo and any two of us could have drafted better than Millen and only cost the Lions a good keg of beer and a few pizzas.

The Falcons were disgraceful. Yeesh.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  I didn't want to get in a fight with you concerning the Pro Bowl picks, but Nicks should go wayyyy before Cruz, IMO should Jennings not go.
                  Well, there's talent, and then there's the stats they put up on the field. Cruz, as the #2 receiver in the NFC in yards, is clearly more deserving than Nicks this season -- Cruz had 6 catches, 2 TDs and almost 350 more yards than Nicks. But Nicks was also double-teamed and opened the door for Cruz' huge season. Both are deserving, but it's hard to ignore 1,500 yards receiving.

Comment

"Interesting how a few of the playoff teams had not beaten a team with a winning record all year. Bengals were one, and I think that the Patriots are another."

That also was true of the 1972 undefeated Dolphins in the regular season - the guys who keep reminding us over and over how great they are (which they were, but....)
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Nicks didnt have a pro bowl season. Way too many drops and games where he disappeared.
                      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Well, there's talent, and then there's the stats they put up on the field. Cruz, as the #2 receiver in the NFC in yards, is clearly more deserving than Nicks this season -- Cruz had 6 catches, 2 TDs and almost 350 more yards than Nicks. But Nicks was also double-teamed and opened the door for Cruz' huge season. Both are deserving, but it's hard to ignore 1,500 yards receiving.
                        Cruz kinda reminds me of Steve Smith (in 2009). Exploded but hasn't done much since. I'll be interested what Cruz does for a follow-up next year.

Comment

Not for me - Cruz comes nowhere near those stats if he faces the type of coverage Nicks did week in and week out, IMO. Not only did Nicks make the receivers around him better by absorbing the lion's share of tough coverage, but he still managed almost 1200 yards and over 15.5 YPC.

It'll be interesting to see how the Packers play them this week.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Cruz and Smith are completely different kinds of receivers. Smith = possession guy with great hands. Cruz = explosive outside threat. Smith didn't do much after 2009 because he wrecked his knee. Smith's career isn't really any kind of an indicator of what might lie in store for Cruz, other than to underscore that WR2 opposite Nicks can be a very productive position.
                            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by off_the_wall View Post
                              Cruz kinda reminds me of Steve Smith (in 2009). Exploded but hasn't done much since. I'll be interested what Cruz does for a follow-up next year.
                              Completely agree with Erik, this isn't a comparison at all. Steve Smith was an over-the-middle receiver, Cruz is a longballer.

Comment

Working...
                              X