Chiefs Fire Haley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiefs Fire Haley

Rumored for awhile, the pounding he took by the Jets yesterday was clearly the last straw.

Chiefs fired head coach Todd Haley.
    Although the Chiefs won the AFC West last year and were decimated by injuries to Jamaal Charles, Matt Cassel and Tony Moeaki this year, Haley's contentious relationship with GM Scott Pioli was too much to overcome. During Haley's two-plus seasons in Kansas City, he posted a 19-26 record and simultaneously drove fantasy owners insane with curious depth-chart decisions. Rams offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is already being speculated as a candidate to take over next season thanks to his New England ties to Pioli. Jeff Fisher could also get in the mix. Defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel will be the interim head coach.
    Dec 12 - 11:24 AM

Josh McDaniels? Really?

Because of his stellar track record as the head coach of the Broncos and supreme drafting skills? Or his incredibly productive season as the Rams offensive coordinator where the Rams are last in the league scoring 11.7 points per game (trailing the Chiefs and Browns who are at 13.3 and 13.7 respectively) and Sam Bradford has regressed compared to last year? Or perhaps it was his subterfuge with taping other team's practices that caught the eye of a GM?

How does his name surface on these things?

Comment

To say I am shocked would be an overstatement. I am surprised they did not wait til the end of the season. That being said, it is easier to do get good candidates now.

Romeo Crennel is the interim, and has a real shot at the job permanently. If that is the case, there will still likely be a new OC.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Word is he embarrassed ownership with his sideline tirade against the officials yesterday.

It would be ironic if McDaniels succeeded Haley, after Haley chewed him out for running up the score. McDaniels wouldn't be responsible for drafting in KC, which was the worst aspect of his tenure there, but he's still not someone I'd want.

Crennel was awful as HC in Cleveland -- but so was Belichick once upon a time. Neither incarnation of the Browns has given their coaches much of anything to work with since the '80s.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
          McDaniels wouldn't be responsible for drafting in KC, which was the worst aspect of his tenure there, but he's still not someone I'd want.
          careful, bud, you're talking about the man who drafted the tebow.
          ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
            Is that good or bad?

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
              Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              Is that good or bad?

J
              Jon Gruden just called him one of the best young offensive minds in the game... Chiefs would be lucky to get him

:ducksandcovers:
              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Jon Gruden would call me one of the best offensive minds in the game if he thought there was a chance he'd end up working with me someday.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

The word that is filtering out is that Haley had been living on borrowed time all year. Most likely only making the playoffs saved him last season. Had they not held on to beat the Vikings, he would have been gone. This late the biggest surprise is that they did not play out the last three games.

Pioli and Haley definitely clashed. In fact Haley clashed with a lot of people,but paticularly his boss. However, he did have good supprt among the players. That has evidently been eroding. Haley also has done verygood work with Bowe and, it is said, Baldwin. Also he took over handling Cassel kast season, when Weis considered him a lost cause. So, his resume as an outstanding assistant is still intact.

Many people are suggesting McDaniel,but I consider that a knee jerk, since he has the same Patriots connection as Haley. While the defense has been very inconsistent this year, it has occasionally been stifling. Over the last 10 games, including the blowout by the Jets,the defense has been top 10 in the league. This without Eric Berry. While his is not a popular name, DC Romeo Crennel should be high on the list of possibilities.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                  X