No announcement yet.

Conference wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't say they're looking hard as much as they're dragging their feet and trying to get the SEC to put them in the Eastern division.They want no part of being in the SEC West

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      The rules in place make it tougher for a conference to gain BCS status than for one to lose it. Big East reportedly also has invites out to Navy, Boise, Air Force, SMU, and Houston.

Add those to what's in place, and they arguably stack up better than what they have now.

Lousville & Cincy were added the last time the conference expanded 6 years ago: those 2 schools have 3 of the 6 Big East titles since then. Adding UCF gives the conference a school that finished 20th overall in the BCS standings last season, a school that has won CUSA 2x in the last 4 years, and has been bowling 4 of the last 6 seasons. SMU and Houston regain the presence in Texas the conference lost when TCU was in and out again. In fact, it gives them the Dallas market back as well as the Houston television market.

Adding Navy & Air Force pretty much ensures nobody will really want to touch the lightning rod of stripping a conference of their AQ status with two prestigious service academies on board.

Geographically, it's a nightmare and the football end should rename itself if it adds schools in Colorado and potentially Idaho. Adding Boise is all about getting their points in play.
      It's a pipe dream that they're getting all these schools. If Boise wants to play in an AQ conference they don't need to join the Big East. The service academies have already rebuffed the BE and I'm sorry but SMU and Houston aren't righting this sinking ship. And in all of this, I'm sure Notre Dame is lobbying hard for these schools to join BE football to protect their empire.

Comment

Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
        The service academies have already rebuffed the BE .
        Why would Navy ever want to be in one of these silly divisions? Independent is where it's at for Navy-- a team that travels extremely well at Bowl time, that is a nice draw for other schools to schedule, that has it's traditional yearly matchups with Notre Dame & Air Force, etc? Navy could care less about BCS as it would be almost impossible for them to get into a meaningful BCS game given their size restrictions (and the fact that players have to serve in the Navy after graduating...), so what would ever be the draw?
        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

West Virginia was the money positon, to replace Mizzou, but Louisville seems to be gaining momentum. It would not shock me to see both come in, along with BYU.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Its official. West Virginia is the new Big XII school.

Louisville and BYU may still be coming, but not for 2012.

This going to be a Rock and Roll basketball conference. Gone are Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M and Missouri. Mizzou was a traditional contender, but lately only TAMU was carrying the water. WVU easily covers them.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

This is all f**king ridiculous.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

It's a nightmare

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  It's a nightmare
                  Exactly what is the point to all this shifting around? To get into BCS eligible conferences? The traditionalist in me thinks this sucks. I still long for the Big 8 and the Pac 8 and the Southwest Conference
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    Exactly what is the point to all this shifting around? To get into BCS eligible conferences? The traditionalist in me thinks this sucks. I still long for the Big 8 and the Pac 8 and the Southwest Conference
                    TV contracts, pure and simple.

Missouri finally gets the i's dotted.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                    X