Best Super Bowl Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Super Bowl Ever?

What is your opinion of the best Super Bowl ever? It may be one you haven't seen, or one you hold dear to your heart, but there's gotta be one that should be considered the best.

After seeing some various articles, here are the 10 usually up for consideration as the best SB ever:

SB III -- Jets 16, Colts 7: Joe Namath guaranteed a victory for the fledgling AFL, and he was right on the money. The Colts -- an 18-point fave-- to that point, had the best defense in NFL history, and to compare to today's game, would be like a UFL team beating either the Steelers or Packers.

SB XIII -- Steelers 35, Cowboys 31: Jackie Smith makes an historical blunder, MVP Terry Bradshaw hooks up for a 75-yarder to John Stallworth, and the Steelers hold off the 'boys in the 4th quarter.

SB XIV -- Steelers 31, Rams 19: The Rams-- the first wildcard team to get to the SB -- led the 11.5 pt fave Steelers 19-17 heading into the 4th quarter, but Bradshaw mounted the comeback and PIT had their final title of the Steel Curtain era.

SB XXIII -- 49ers 20, Bengals 16: The Bengals led 16-13 with a minute to go until Joe Cool led his greatest 4th quarter comeback, culminating with a 10-yard TD to John Taylor with 34 seconds left.

SB XXV -- Giants 20, Bills 19: the Bills first of four consecutive SB appearances may have been their best shot, having pummeled the Raiders 51-3 in the AFC Championship and came into the game as a 7-point favorite. Backup QB Jeff Hostetler led the G-Men into the title game, and their time-consuming drives chewed up much of the clock. The Bills drove to the Giants' 30 with 8 seconds to go, and kicker Scott Norwood went down in infamy with his kick, which sailed "Wide Right."

SB XXXIV -- Rams 23, Titans 16: the Greatest Show on Turf blew a 16-point lead to Steve McNair and the Titans, and we almost had the 1st OT game in SB history. Kevin Dyson fell a yard short of the end zone on the game's final play.

SB XXXVI -- Patriots 20, Rams 17: the Rams were 14 point favorites, but that didn't stop the Pats from completing the 2nd biggest upset in SB history. The Pats led 17-3 before the Rams tied it up 17-17, then 2nd year QB Tom Brady led his team down the field on the game's final drive and Vinatieri kicked his 1st SB game winner from 48-yards out.

SB XXXVIII -- Patriots 32, Panthers 29: nearly scoreless at the half, both teams ran up the score until it was 29-29 with 4 seconds to go. That's when Adam "Ice Man" Vinatieri knocked home a 41-yarder to win it.

SB XLII -- Giants 17, Pats 14: Giants upset the undefeated Patriots. Eli's epic scramble leads to David Tyree's even more epic catch.

SB XLIII -- Steelers 27, Cardinals 23: Big Ben leads a furious final drive culminating in Santonio Holmes' tiptoe catch in the end zone. James Harrison's 100-yard moseying INT return for a TD is an all-time classic.
    SB III -- Jets-Colts
    0%
    SB XIII -- Steelers-Cowboys
    0%
    SB XIV -- Steelers-Rams
    0%
    SB XXIII -- 49ers-Bengals
    0%
    SB XXV -- Giants-Bills
    0%
    SB XXXIV -- Rams-Titans
    0%
    SB XXXVI -- Patriots-Rams
    0%
    SB XXXVIII -- Patriots-Panthers
    0%
    SB XLII -- Giants-Patriots
    0%
    SB XLII -- Steelers-Cardinals
    0%

SB XXXIV -- Rams 23, Titans 16- for pure excitement at the end with the Giants-Bills a close second.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I went with the Giants-Bills for pure "either they win or they lose" last second drama.

The Niners-Bengals was close, but they could've kicked a FG to tie it if Montana didn't hook up with Taylor. The Rams-Titans SB was sick, but a TD also would've tied the game and sent it into OT. The two Vinatieri FGs also were in tie games. The Steelers-Cards also could've had a FG and gone into OT if Holmes doesn't make the catch.

Comment

I went with SB XLIII because I was there and it was the greatest and most emotional day of my life as a sports fan. The emotional roller coaster of the game was only amplified by the $1,300 I paid for a ticket that at one point I thought was wasted on watching the Steelers lose, only to have it turn around to where I would have been happy had I spent $13,000.
        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
          I went with SB XLIII because I was there and it was the greatest and most emotional day of my life as a sports fan. The emotional roller coaster of the game was only amplified by the $1,300 I paid for a ticket that at one point I thought was wasted on watching the Steelers lose, only to have it turn around to where I would have been happy had I spent $13,000.
          That was an awesome game. I can't imagine someone shelling out megabucks and going to one of those late-1980s/early 1990s decimations that littered the Super Bowl.

Comment

I think that Rams-Titans one really stands out for me, since there had been so many lopsided Super Bowls prior to that in the '90s.

Comment

How can it not be SB III Chiefs 16 - Vikings 7.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                How can it not be SB III Chiefs 16 - Vikings 7.

J
                because that was SB IV
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  because that was SB IV
                  and the Chiefs actually won 23-7, in the last meaningful game they ever played. :secretariat:

Comment

Working...
                  X