2016 Hall of Fame Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Hall of Fame Class

Favre, Harrison, Kevin Greene, Orlando Pace, Kenny Stabler, Tony Dungy, Eddie DeBartolo and Dick Stanfel make it in.

I'm a little surprised about Stabler. I understand the game is much different today, but he had 194 TDs and 222 INTs. Time to review the candidacies of Kenny Anderson, Boomer Esiason, et al.

The NFL HOF is much more about championships/narrative than MLB's is. Stats are only part of the story, whereas they are almost the whole story for MLB. Can you tell a proper history of the NFL without mentioning Kenny Stabler? A case can be made that the answer is no. Same reason why Joe Namath is in -- his stats weren't particularly special.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Favre, Harrison, Kevin Greene, Orlando Pace, Kenny Stabler, Tony Dungy, Eddie DeBartolo and Dick Stanfel make it in.

I'm a little surprised about Stabler. I understand the game is much different today, but he had 194 TDs and 222 INTs. Time to review the candidacies of Kenny Anderson, Boomer Esiason, et al.
      A decent class.

Stabler has always up around in the voting but once a player makes it to the Senior Committee nomination scenario, they're almost a lock to get in.

I have no idea who Dick Stanfel, but whatever...somebody sold the committee on him...lol

I'm still not sold on Tony Dungy being that great of a coach....especially when Don Coryell isn't in and he basically invented the high-powered passing offense.

I haven't decided who I'd like to drive this year, but if I had to choose, I think I would take Harrison.

Comment

The Dungy one is a little bit of a head scratcher, but he did take two different teams to the Super Bowl title.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          The Dungy one is a little bit of a head scratcher, but he did take two different teams to the Super Bowl title.
          Well, he did have a 139-69 career record. But he only won one title, with the Colts. Gruden won the title with the Bucs.

Comment

Well, he did have a 139-69 career record. But he only won one title, with the Colts. Gruden won the title with the Bucs.
            Not saying that he wasn't a GOOD coach, just not sure on HOF status.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
              Not saying that he wasn't a GOOD coach, just not sure on HOF status.
              His .668 winning % is good enough for 12th all-time among head coaches with 50+ games. And like Coryell, Dungy was an innovator -- he created and perfected the 'Tampa 2' defense. Coryell should be in as well.

Comment

His .668 winning % is good enough for 12th all-time among head coaches with 50+ games. And like Coryell, Dungy was an innovator -- he created and perfected the 'Tampa 2' defense. Coryell should be in as well.
                Good call! I totally forgot the Tampa 2 defense.

Still need to put Coryell in, but I'm good with Dungy now.

Comment

Originally posted by griswold View Post
                  Good call! I totally forgot the Tampa 2 defense.

Still need to put Coryell in, but I'm good with Dungy now.
                  If you drive him, get an autograph for me!
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                    If you drive him, get an autograph for me!
                    Who? Tony Dungy?

I could probably get one even if I didn't drive him....

Remind me in early August....lol

Comment

Working...
                    X