DFS scandal of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    I don't think that's the case - seems more likely that DraftKings hired the sharks to run things, and to mix metaphors the foxes in the henhouses... well, we don't even know that yet, really. The optics are brutal and it's a pretty unregulated industry, so best for all of us not to get boxed in. the ground keeps shifting....
    I'm not sure what this means, but it's apparent many FD/DK "non-star" managers had access to sensitive data and used it for their own benefit, while execs looked the other way because they also were using said info for their own benefit.

The employee in question won over $500k in the last few weeks. How much was DK paying him for his job? $50k? LOL.

Comment

None of what you say is apparent - yet. My guess would be that is not accurate, either.
      BUT there is no true oversight, so no reason to call off the dogs, as well.

And again, I have seen no claim yet that some low-level schmuck got rich on insider info. DraftKings is definitively denying it, to a point of risk of criminal sanctions. And my sense is that sharks got rich because sharks get rich.

And no, that doesn't guarantee anything, either. But the mainstream reporting has been feeble so far.....
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

JJ, investigate this Evan Haskell since he became a DK "manager." He went from a decent DFS player to routinely placing in big money GPP tourneys. His August was legendary. You can find his DFS profile on Rotogrinders. And investigate some other "managers" who have been literally kicking ass in GPPs since they started work there. It's not a coincidence.

Comment

I'm open-minded on this, Revo, as I believe you would expect. We'll meet in a spot somewhere down the road, no doubt. It's an epic slide at the moment....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            None of what you say is apparent - yet. My guess would be that is not accurate, either.
            BUT there is no true oversight, so no reason to call off the dogs, as well.

And again, I have seen no claim yet that some low-level schmuck got rich on insider info. DraftKings is definitively denying it, to a point of risk of criminal sanctions. And my sense is that sharks got rich because sharks get rich.

And no, that doesn't guarantee anything, either. But the mainstream reporting has been feeble so far.....
            This thing is looking worse and worse by the hour...NY attorney General is now looking into it, and be sure that others will follow. Now, there are allegations that the "whales" of the industry all pretty much have some sort of insider knowledge...good article here by what appears to be an industry site.

Matt Boccio

Matt Boccio

By day Matt works at FanDuel where he does any number of activities on the product operations side. From those in the know it sounds like Matt is involved with the day to day pricing of players and the inputs that are used to determine salaries on FanDuel. Some have said he is the player pricing expert at FanDuel. By night, Matt uses his vast DFS knowledge to clean up on DraftKings under the screen name PetrGibbons. In fact, he is currently a top 50 overall DFS player by Rotogrinders rankings while only being able to play on one site. He has also amassed this ranking in the short time frame of June 16th to October 3rd. Giving almost all other grinders a 6 month headstart before beginning his winning ways on DraftKings for the year. Impressive to say the least.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Fanduel has "permanently banned" its employees from playing DFS on any site. Let's see how many of them stick around for a measly salary instead of making millions on DFS.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                Let's see how many of them stick around for a measly salary instead of making millions on DFS.
                The question is, could they still make millions without access to insider info? Chances are, no.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  The question is, could they still make millions without access to insider info? Chances are, no.
                  +1

A good friend of mine has a saying: "Pigs get fat, Hogs get slaughtered". These guys decided that they were going to be Hogs, and never thought that their stupidity and greed would ever get discovered.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Fanduel has "permanently banned" its employees from playing DFS on any site. Let's see how many of them stick around for a measly salary instead of making millions on DFS.
                    Apparently that Boccio guy gave up a law career in the pursuit of a "more lucrative DFS career". If he gets convicted, he will have burned both of his bridges. I wonder if he got his money into that Swiss bank account in time.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

No one except Bernie Madoff went to jail for the 2008 crash. I can't imagine this landing anyone in jail. Sanctions against/regulations for the companies, yes.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        No one except Bernie Madoff went to jail for the 2008 crash. I can't imagine this landing anyone in jail. Sanctions against/regulations for the companies, yes.
                        Madoff had nothing to do with the '08 crash except for the fact many people demanded their money afterwards, of which he didn't have. And yes, a few key employees did go to jail for their roles in the scheme.

Comment

A class action lawsuit was filed in federal court in Manhattan on Thursday accusing DraftKings and FanDuel of negligence, fraud and false advertising.

The case was brought by Adam Johnson of Kentucky, who says he deposited $100 into a DraftKings account.

The suit claims that daily fantasy games put forth by the two companies are misrepresented as fair. That case is made mainly through the recently revealed policies of the two companies that allowed employees to enter contests on the other's site for cash prizes, along with the rest of the population.

A class action lawsuit was filed in federal court in Manhattan on Thursday accusing DraftKings and FanDuel of negligence, fraud and false advertising.

Comment

haven't noticed an attorney yet who buys that suit.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                              The case was brought by Adam Johnson of Kentucky, who says he deposited $100 into a DraftKings account.
                              Second chance sweepstakes. He may be a winner after all.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I believe the jags went in TB being the 3rd consecutive week on the road. back in the day a team like that wouldn't cover 75% of the time. I believe the best jag line was -3 and the best TB line was even. actually that doesn't sound right. what did the jags lose 36 to 30? this is what I mean about looking at the schedule and in advance as much far as you can, and then picking your spot. just make sure it's not a divisional game. why the nfl still has 3 consecutive road games for a few teams in the day and age, I don't know.

it actually can cause such a bad loss sometimes it can destroy a teams season. this happened to Houston one year when they got crushed by NE.

and that guy deposited a total of $35 dollars and won over 2 million. I mean even the audacity in the way the present themselves is alarming. as an ex gambler i'll never do but, it's got all the traps. all of them. but I know im not completely immune. it's like someone of the wagon hanging out in bar drinking cranberry juice. it's like playing on train tracks. im ok tho. I know I won't fall off the gambling wagon. I just feel bad for everyone getting sucked into this. it's even worse than real gambling because they won't recognize it at first. and they didn't have to go out of their way to find it.

i'd like to think they can ban it, but there are so many big players and so much money; and the cats so far out of the bag, I just don't see how it can be put back in.

the sports leagues themselves should be faulted for being a part of it. I haven't figured out how this could call into the question the integrity of the games. but it's not unreasonable to think it's possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X